Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Hmmmmmm......

Maybe best to just stick with a six-layer "Brady Bunch" cake to be safe from now on.

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Cactus Jack
Forum Idol
RonFingSwanson

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
Hmmmmmm......

Maybe best to just stick with a six-layer "Brady Bunch" cake to be safe from now on.
With tons of cheese!

Id Love to help you Tracy, but I cant have sex with a black guy, Id lose my endorsement deal with NASCAR-Jenna Maroney,30 Rock

April 17,2009 9:02 PM : 100,000th post!

[/b]
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
^ Not to mention Redd Foxx...how many times was the "n-word" used on Sanford & Son?? Anyway, this world is WAY too PC...and I can't stand it.

I'm personally a supporter of political correctness. Mainly because the main reason behind it is to prevent people from becoming offended/upset/ or attacked and I fully support that.

It can go too far...but I to admit to being a very PC person. I hate any kind of attack on a race, religion, culture, etc...I know people who aren't PC hate that stuff as well, but I think political correctness is in general a good thing.

Doc: Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
With tons of cheese!

LOL - now THAT would be politically CORRECT for sure! A 6 layer cheesecake with cherry topping!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
Cactus Jack
Forum Idol
RonFingSwanson

Quote:
LOL - now THAT would be politically CORRECT for sure! A 6 layer cheesecake with cherry topping!
LOL I meant cheese cause Brady Bunch is the cheesiest show ever made on the face of this earth.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

I've never understood why political correctness is attacked so much?

If it gets out of hand, as it sometimes does, then I see why some people are annoyed by it. But I honestly feel that political correctness is a good thing. I hate the idea of any kind of race/culture/minority getting offended or feeling attacked.

I think what should really be criticised is the prejudices that caused political correctness to come about in the first place.

Of course people can take political correctness too far and then it can become a bit ridiculous...but when someone takes it too far, it ceases to be political correctness and turns into something silly.

Political correctness itself is a good thing in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Political correctness can and does go too far. There are many people who are offended over EVERYTHING, and the world shouldn't have to bend over backwards to please them. The crybabies of the world should all go live on an island somewhere, just so they can bitch, moan and cry their lives away. That's all they do anyway, and I'm sick of listening to them.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #23
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

^ It's just that some people are WAY too thin-skinned. Having said that, I do not condone racism, sexism, etc. at all.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #24
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
LOL I meant cheese cause Brady Bunch is the cheesiest show ever made on the face of this earth.

Oh I know!

That's why I added the cherry topping - just to add that extra sweetness to make it sickeningly sweet! :P
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #25
Cactus Jack
Forum Idol
RonFingSwanson

Quote:
Oh I know!

That's why I added the cherry topping - just to add that extra sweetness to make it sickeningly sweet! :P
LOL yup!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #26
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Political correctness can and does go too far. There are many people who are offended over EVERYTHING, and the world shouldn't have to bend over backwards to please them. The crybabies of the world should all go live on an island somewhere, just so they can bitch, moan and cry their lives away. That's all they do anyway, and I'm sick of listening to them.

It can go too far, but when it does, it's not really political correctness any more.

Political correctness as I see it is a set of standards that ensure that people from all races, religions, cultures, etc, are viewed as and treated equally.

That may still be impossible for now but maybe in the future there will be no such thing as prejudice.

I do consider myself a very politically correct person. I'm quite proud to be.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #27
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharop
It can go too far, but when it does, it's not really political correctness any more.

Political correctness as I see it is a set of standards that ensure that people from all races, religions, cultures, etc, are viewed as and treated equally.

That may still be impossible for now but maybe in the future there will be no such thing as prejudice.

Would you have read anything into an orange cake with the name of an old movie?

I agree, I try to be sensitive, but when it comes to that it gets crazy imo. If a black gal were to bake it, would it make any difference?
Something like that would just NEVER cross my mind in a million years. Maybe I'm just sheltered, but .....wow.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #28
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharop

We're all in agreement that there's no place for racism in our society. Political Correctness isn't just about that. I'm referring to instances where kids can't sing a religious song in a Christmas play, such as Silent Night. I'm referring to the time when some lady barked at me in a video store because she overheard me refer to a movie as a Black Comedy, which is a commonly used term. I guess it has to be "Dark Comedy" now, until people who are afraid of the dark start complaining. I'm referring to stores who won't use the word Christmas in their advertising so as not to offend those of other faiths, even though they're targeting the dollars of a LOT of Christians who celebrate Christmas. There's the Santa recruitment firm (for Malls) who claim that Santa saying, Ho, Ho, Ho, is offensive to women. There's those who constantly place the race card, pulled from the bottom of the deck.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #29
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I guess it has to be "Dark Comedy" now, until people who are afraid of the dark start complaining.

that's another instance of people treating the black race as if it's sacred, even if their intent is just to "prevent racism" rather than glorify blacks. blacks have to be treated with all this extra respect. they have to be referred to as "african americans" because "blacks" is totally degrading and offensive, but you can never describe an individual as being black or african american (only large groups), because that means that it's the only thing you notice about them, and therefore you're judging them, and therefore you're a racist.

it's the same way with other things too. according to society, women have to be treated with more respect than men. if, for example, people see a woman punching a man, they'll think "YOU GO GIRL! SHOW HIM WHO'S BOSS!" and if it's the other way around, they'll think "OMG DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!"

people are too sensitive about homophobia too, even though discrimination in this case is a widespread issue. if anyone merely states that gay marriage is wrong or that homosexuality is a choice, they get jumped all over and called a homophobic bigot, even if they said absolutely nothing about their opinion of gays. i've seen it happen on this board way too many times.

blacks are above whites, women are above men, and gay people are above straight people. so much for the "equality" that everyone claims to be aiming for. it's sickening.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #30
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety pin
they have to be referred to as "african americans" because "blacks" is totally degrading and offensive

I prefer the term "African American" to "black." But my reason for that is because I think "African American" sounds more fancy and sophisticated than "black." Maybe that's just me being a snob?

But being a rather wordy person, I prefer African American, I just think it sounds better.