Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
sunshinefizzy

Default The racist cake

I baked a cake at work a couple of days ago that I named the African Queen after the movie with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. It's an orange flavored cake with orange infused icing on top of it. I thought it was a good name for it. Well, my aunt who is also my boss wanted me to change the name because people might get the wrong idea. I thought it was pretty stupid. I mean, it's not like I made a chocolate with chocolate and named it that. I just did what I was told and renamed it Clockwork Orange cake.

What do you guys think about it???
Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

people are WAY too sensitive and politically correct about racism towards blacks. it seriously drives me crazy. some (not necessarily anyone on this board) would read this very post and jump all over me for referring to them as blacks instead of african americans. of course no one ever has a problem with referring to caucasians as whites. these people claim they just want "equality", but play it out like the black race is sacred and above all the rest.

with all that said, it may be smart of your aunt to not want that name, so that she doesn't have to put up with anything ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Chocoholic
Banned!!
Forum Veteran
Banned

I would have kept the African Queen name. There is nothing offensive about it at all. If someone took offense, then it's their problem, not yours. There are too many crybabies in this country.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
so elektrikkxx
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety pin
people are WAY too sensitive and politically correct about racism towards blacks. it seriously drives me crazy. some (not necessarily anyone on this board) would read this very post and jump all over me for referring to them as blacks instead of african americans. of course no one ever has a problem with referring to caucasians as whites. these people claim they just want "equality", but play it out like the black race is sacred and above all the rest.

with all that said, it may be smart of your aunt to not want that name, so that she doesn't have to put up with anything ridiculous.

i agree completely. i also get annoyed beyond belief when people claim every reference to race/ethnicity/nationality is "racism". i was talking about degrassi with my friend and he wasn't familiar with one of the characters by name (hazel), and i said "she's the black girl who is friends with paige." and he screamed out (completely serious too) "OMG UR LYKE, RACIST ~*~*~*" if there was a white person in a crowd of black people, would it be racist to refer to them as "the white person" as a point of reference? i doubt it. there are so many double standards when it comes to this, and people seem to forget what racism really is.

there was a kid at my work who thought the manager was racist toward him because he's black and i said "instead of complaining about something that isn't even a problem, why not do something about the genocide in sudan? that actually IS racism." and he didn't say anything.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

What would happen if someone brought a white cake with chocolate icing and they called it "The Jazz Singer" cake?

Now that would be wrong. In our family, we would use Italian slurs, but only for fun.

We forgot to laugh at ourselves as human beings and if we took everything seriously, we would be all Stiffy Stiffersons.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
sunshinefizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
What would happen if someone brought a white cake with chocolate icing and they called it "The Jazz Singer" cake?

Now that would be wrong. In our family, we would use Italian slurs, but only for fun.

We forgot to laugh at ourselves as human beings and if we took everything seriously, we would be all Stiffy Stiffersons.

Are you a haddock smacking wop like me???
Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Chocoholic
Banned!!
Forum Veteran
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinefizzy
Are you a haddock smacking wop like me???

I'm half Mafia wop and half drunken Irish. You don't want to get me mad!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I am going to let yall in on a little secret.

Us black folks are a very sensitive race of people

I'll give you a couple of examples:

During the election people were whining that some of the attacks Senator McCain made about Obama were racist. Wrong, its politics and its called mudslinging, all politicians do it and this would happen even if Obama were white.

Remember when that guy from Seinfeld said n***** in his routine, and how black people got bent out of shape. Every black comedian I have ever heard from Bill Cosby, Flip Wilson, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphey, Bernie Mack and D.L. Hughly have made fun of white people, but white people just laugh at it.

See what I am getting at.

Frankly I dont find the cake and the name offensive at all. Keep the name "the African Queen". Anybody gives you and grief, send them to me.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

^ Not to mention Redd Foxx...how many times was the "n-word" used on Sanford & Son?? Anyway, this world is WAY too PC...and I can't stand it.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Rolleyes

I don't get the reference AT ALL? Was it the orange colour or just the name? If it was the colour, since when has a black person ever been called "orange"???? If it was just the name - that's absolutely NUTS. My God, has it really come to THAT point?

So what now, am I supposed to go postal if someone brought in a Cracker Cake (made from soda crackers and it actually tastes like apple pie - but that's besides the point).

Ya know what? Screw 'em altogether! Bake the damned cake, name at whatever the hell you want and don't bring one into work ever again! Save your energy for your "politically incorrect" friends. Geez....

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
so elektrikkxx
Forum Regular

i'd also like to point out not all africans are black, so how would someone know the name 'african queen' isn't referring to a white south african or an arab from algeria or somalia, for instance?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
I don't get the reference AT ALL? Was it the orange colour or just the name? If it was the colour, since when has a black person ever been called "orange"???? If it was just the name - that's absolutely NUTS. My God, has it really come to THAT point?

So what now, am I supposed to go postal if someone brought in a Cracker Cake (made from soda crackers and it actually tastes like apple pie - but that's besides the point).

Ya know what? Screw 'em altogether! Bake the damned cake, name at whatever the hell you want and don't bring one into work ever again! Save your energy for your "politically incorrect" friends. Geez....

I got to admit I have been called a lot of names in my time, but nobody has ever called me orange lol
Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #13
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
I got to admit I have been called a lot of names in my time, but nobody has ever called me orange lol

EXACTLY! The only people I would ever call "orange" would be the white chicks who buy that God-awful "self tanning" garbage that does make them orange.

Funny side story: If anything, I'm so naive, and I guess "colour blind", that when I was working in sales, we would have major chain customers visit our head office and showroom. There's a camera chain in Canada, called Blacks Cameras (you see where I'm going now....). Well we would usually shorten a good, long customer's name. (for example, Shoppers Drug Mart would be Shoppers or SDM). I used to have parking spots reserved for our VIP visitors. Sure enough, I got reminded one day of sensitivity when I printed off signs saying, "Reserved For Blacks". No kidding - true story. I didn't even think. LOL
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
MonarC
The truth will set you free

People give cakes names now?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #15
sunshinefizzy

Well, I forgot to tell you all this but the same exact day I put the African Queen out for sale I made Atticus Finch cake. It was a white cake mix with chocolate chips, buttercream frosting, chocolate sprinkles and a hug candy in the middle. An homage to who I think is the most influential fictional character of all time. Yep, call me Jim Crow.