Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Archives
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
browneyes106

Default Advice on how to help a friend

One of my close friends recently had brain surgery to remove a tumor. I have known her for five years and we became close friends during my freshman year of college. She is a year older than me. We sort of lost touch when she moved out of state to attend law school. A couple of months ago she started having painful headaches but thought it was stress from school and her job so she sort of ignored them. A couple of weeks ago she passed out and was taken to the hospital. They found out she had a tumor in her brain. She was flown back here to her hometown to have surgery done. The surgery was done on Monday and she was kept heavily sedated for three days. I didn't find out about her until Wednesday when her dad called me. Most of her friends from college have moved out of state and I'm the only one left here. The tumor is beginin but the surgery affected her speech and her left side is weak. I saw her earlier today. Her head is completely shaved and part of skull has been temporarily removed. She was extremly happy to see me her speech is very hard to understand. But she is heading into depression because of her weakned state and she doesn't know if she can ever return to law school. I'm really not sure how to help her or what I can do for her. Have any of you been in a similar situation or have any ideas about helping her. I'm thinking about buying her a wig because she told me she feels ugly and I think buying wig would save her family some money.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes106
One of my close friends recently had brain surgery to remove a tumor. I have known her for five years and we became close friends during my freshman year of college. She is a year older than me. We sort of lost touch when she moved out of state to attend law school. A couple of months ago she started having painful headaches but thought it was stress from school and her job so she sort of ignored them. A couple of weeks ago she passed out and was taken to the hospital. They found out she had a tumor in her brain. She was flown back here to her hometown to have surgery done. The surgery was done on Monday and she was kept heavily sedated for three days. I didn't find out about her until Wednesday when her dad called me. Most of her friends from college have moved out of state and I'm the only one left here. The tumor is beginin but the surgery affected her speech and her left side is weak. I saw her earlier today. Her head is completely shaved and part of skull has been temporarily removed. She was extremly happy to see me her speech is very hard to understand. But she is heading into depression because of her weakned state and she doesn't know if she can ever return to law school. I'm really not sure how to help her or what I can do for her. Have any of you been in a similar situation or have any ideas about helping her. I'm thinking about buying her a wig because she told me she feels ugly and I think buying wig would save her family some money.

Hold off on buying the wig and see what other posters say about that. I think you should ask her first though.

I think they will say the same thing I will say.

Just be there for her and talk to her. I don't know what else to suggest other than that.

Just be there for her

Old 12-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
browneyes106

I have talked to her about the wig and she is happy about it.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes106
I have talked to her about the wig and she is happy about it.

Well, as long as she is happy about it, go for it.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Doodyville10019
Forum Regular
Meet my new friend Sparkie!

Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019

You should be there for her and give her strength and encouragement to continue. She may feel depressed now (this is understandable) but please let her know that there are hundreds of others (at least one here in Chicago that was well publicized about a year ago) who have gone through the same thing and came through. It will take a lot of work, faith and love on EVERYONE'S part, but she can and WILL make it through this! Instill that in her, remind her of it from time to time, and she will be fine.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
browneyes106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodyville10019
You should be there for her and give her strength and encouragement to continue. She may feel depressed now (this is understandable) but please let her know that there are hundreds of others (at least one here in Chicago that was well publicized about a year ago) who have gone through the same thing and came through. It will take a lot of work, faith and love on EVERYONE'S part, but she can and WILL make it through this! Instill that in her, remind her of it from time to time, and she will be fine.

Her family and doctors have told her about other people in her condition.I think she worried mostly because her law school career has been interrupted. Techincally she one has her 1st year finished and was she attending school out of state. Right now her family is looking to seeing if he could transfer to the law school here which it would be sort of cool because I will start next fall and I would see her around campus.