Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Archives
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 18, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu Rogers
I don't know about dangerous, I personally just don't agree with it, but to each his own.

Why is that? (Please don't feel like I'm singling you out.) I'm just interested in why you feel that way.

Doc: Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #17
PZelda
Forum Legend
Two Valeries! <3

It's the religion that they follow (they're Quiverfulls). Quiverfulls believe in Creationism, don't use birth control, and wear very modest clothing (right down to swimsuits). The wife must be submissive to her husband, and the children must be submissive to their parents.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
Lee
veteran member

Smile

Why is it that there are people on this board that are so down on the
Duggars? I think they are just a large family with a lot of love in their hearts.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
Here's the sarcasm coming out--apparently they also believe in exploiting their situation on national television. Yea, I'm sure this is what God has in mind.

Are you sure they're actually exploiting it though?

I don't know much about them but they seem like a nice family. Different, certainly, but not bad people.

There are probably quite a few people who watch their show and find it heartwarming and inspiring. That's a good thing.

I do believe in God but I no longer really believe that God Himself has a plan for each person. I think our entire life is up to us. I also think that we have alternate selves existing in alternate realities. To me, it's more about our plan than anything else. I don't believe God is judgmental either, so I certainly don't believe he would have a problem with there being a TV show about their lives.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
LuLu Rogers
Forum Veteran
Colonel Brandon

Send a message via Yahoo to LuLu Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharop
Why is that? (Please don't feel like I'm singling you out.) I'm just interested in why you feel that way.

I just don't.

"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."-Professor Severus Snape

Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #21
LuLu Rogers
Forum Veteran
Colonel Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Why is it that there are people on this board that are so down on the
Duggars? I think they are just a large family with a lot of love in their hearts.

Yes, they love each other, but how much time can you spend with each individual child when you have 18?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
PZelda
Forum Legend
Two Valeries! <3

Quote:
Yes, they love each other, but how much time can you spend with each individual child when you have 18?
I'm sure they find plenty of time... VERY restricted internet usage, not allowed to watch much TV, everybody was or is homeschooled (I'm guessing Jana, John-David and Jill are done with school too -- Josh graduated from school at 16), they all eat meals together, and can assemble their own musical group (all the kids that are able to, know how to play an instrument).

I do NOT agree with ANY of their beliefs at all (Creationism LOL) - however, I have tremendous respect for the Duggar parents. They are clearly doing something right, as far as kids' behavior goes in public, and the buddy system seems to be very effective.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #23
LuLu Rogers
Forum Veteran
Colonel Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZelda
I'm sure they find plenty of time... VERY restricted internet usage, not allowed to watch much TV, everybody was or is homeschooled (I'm guessing Jana, John-David and Jill are done with school too -- Josh graduated from school at 16), they all eat meals together, and can assemble their own musical group (all the kids that are able to, know how to play an instrument).

I do NOT agree with ANY of their beliefs at all (Creationism LOL) - however, I have tremendous respect for the Duggar parents. They are clearly doing something right, as far as kids' behavior goes in public, and the buddy system seems to be very effective.

Yes, I'm sure they have a great family life, but if it were me, I'd rather adopt 18 of the children in this world who are starving to death and have no one to care for them.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #24
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure they have a great family life, but if it were me, I'd rather adopt 18 of the children in this world who are starving to death and have no one to care for them.
Yeah...there are too many people in this world as it is. Take care of the ones we already have. Nothing wrong with wanting to have your own children, but 18?

Besides...I just can't help but think that some of these children may end up with psychological problems, mainly from being forced to raise children so early. I could very well be wrong, but that's just my perception.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #25
LuLu Rogers
Forum Veteran
Colonel Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
Besides...I just can't help but think that some of these children may end up with psychological problems, mainly from being forced to raise children so early. I could very well be wrong, but that's just my perception.

Exactly, it just doesn't sit right with me, I dunno.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:04 AM   #26
PZelda
Forum Legend
Two Valeries! <3

I'm more horrified at the fact that the Duggar kids have actually said they want to marry someone that is like their parents. I dunno about you guys, but I really don't want to marry someone who reminds me of my dad. O.o

Old 12-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #27
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
Merry Christmas

Default It's their own business...

Pro-choice works both ways. This couple made a decision to have a large family. This adoption argument makes no sense. They want their own kids. I've seen shows on this family's lifestyle, and it's not as if they're working the kids to death. They all have daily chores. I had chores growing up. Buddy system, good way to put it, Allison. The Duggars are happy and are doing it on their own. They are an outstanding and loving family. I don't see the harm in it. Spend a day in Family Court in a rough neighborhood, see the insanity and dysfunction that goes on in some families, and the Duggars will look better.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #28
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZelda
I'm more horrified at the fact that the Duggar kids have actually said they want to marry someone that is like their parents. I dunno about you guys, but I really don't want to marry someone who reminds me of my dad. O.o
True, but it's said that a man often marries his mother while a woman marries her father, psychologically. In my case, it's actually true. My husband has some of my father's characteristics, like being a family man and a hard worker. I could never marry a man who was allergic to work. I'm like my mother-in-law in how I'm very domestic. I keep a cozy home, with the cooking, baking, holiday decorations, that sort of thing. I've seen pictures of her when she was younger, and we're the same type in looks, reddish blonde hair, big eyes, same type figure. Often a person will marry an alcoholic if their parent was one. That's tied into the low self-esteem that growing up in that environment creates. They don't think they deserve better.

I think we're the exception to the rule though as most people marry the opposites of their parents. It all depends, I guess.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #29
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

It's hard to imagine a family with 18 kids running relatively smoothly but their family seems too...true the vast maj. of people would not want to have soooooo many kids but the Duggars are into it....and it seems to be working for everyone in the family...so...more power to them! In their own way they're kinda cool.

xxoo You both Rock!!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #30
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
Yeah...there are too many people in this world as it is.

I have a possible solution to that. One of the New Age beliefs is that people create their own realities with their thoughts, beliefs and emotions and that if you think about something for long enough, and fully believe and expect to get it, then you will eventually attract it to yourself.

It probably only seems to people that the world is overpopulated because they keep thinking that. (They're creating their reality.) So if people change their beliefs and start believing, "The world is not overpopulated", then they'll attract that reality to themselves.

Seth, a spirit channelled by Jane Roberts from 1963 until her death in 1984 went deep into this subject in the book The Nature of Personal Reality.