Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Fall Pilot Review: Manhattan Love Story - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; ABC Family Picks Up Young & Hungry for 2nd Season, and New Drama
ABC Fall Pilot Review: Selfie - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; Starz Gives Us Sampling of LeBron James Produced Comedy
Week 1 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hub Network to Rebrand; Mork & Mindy to be Completed on DVD?
CBS Doubles Up on Big Bang on Mondays, Moves Mom; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 29, 2014)
Bounce TV Fall 2014 Info; Vintage SNL to Air in Primetime on Saturday Nights
VH1 Big Morning Buzz Live Returns with Comedic Co-Host; Hulu's New Series 11/22/63 Coming Soon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
justins5256

Oh No Edward Harold Bell's explanation for Larry Dickens murder?

Not sure how reliable this information is (take it with a BIG grain of salt) but according to something I read on another site, it sounds as if Bell is claiming he wasn't at fault for Larry's death:

"Bell said he was scared because he couldnt run away; so he pointed gun at Larry's head, and said, "Don't hit me again." He alleged that Larry then hit him while Bell was firing shots while demanding his keys; Bell stated he didnt point the rifle at Larry when he tripped and the rifle went off. Bell said it was all an accident"
Old 11-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
HyeTev
Frequent Poster

Yeah, and I'm Jesus Christ too. Sure. Whatever. That sick bastard shouldn't even be allowed to talk. He was one of the worst ever profiled on UM and what he says should have zero relevance.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
mphs95
Forum Regular
Remember me?

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeTev
Yeah, and I'm Jesus Christ too. Sure. Whatever. That sick bastard shouldn't even be allowed to talk. He was one of the worst ever profiled on UM and what he says should have zero relevance.

EB had two legs and could have ran. He was busted either way. Killing LD was inexcusable and just morally wrong. There is no way he can justify that and the fact that he is trying to just shows how sick his mind really is.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
HyeTev
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphs95
EB had two legs and could have ran. He was busted either way. Killing LD was inexcusable and just morally wrong. There is no way he can justify that and the fact that he is trying to just shows how sick his mind really is.

What baffles me is why he didn't get the death penalty? I mean, this did happen in Texas. Folks down there aren't afraid to let anyone fry, especially scum such as EHB.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
MegtheEgg86

I would give anything to slug Edward Harold Bell's fat face.

Go Vols!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well, to be honest, the death penalty wouldnt have done any good here. So I am glad Bell didnt get it. Hopefully he lives to a ripe old age and serves out everyday of his sentence. He becomes eligibile for parole in 2013 but he probably will have to serve until his mandatory supervision date in 2023 when he would be 83 years old. In Texas, crimes committed prior to September 1st, 1996 if you were convicted of a non life or non death sentence you had to be released on mandatory supervision if they were not paroled first.

Now, the reason why Bell didnt get the death penalty. It is because, at the time Bell committed the murder in 1978 and even when he was convicted in 1993, it was much harder to give the death penalty in Texas than it is now. In fact, only certain types of murder were eligible for the death penalty. Bell was not charged with capital murder which carries either death or if the person doesnt get death, a mandatory life sentence. He was charged with 'murder' which in Texas seems to be the equivelant of 2nd degree murder in other states. In Texas you can get anywhere from probation to up to 99 years in prison if convicted of 'murder'.

The reason why Bell was charged with 'murder' is that it was hard to prove the crime was pre meditated. Bell's lack of an extensive felony record before hand led to him getting a 70 year sentence. Remember, in Texas, juries not judges hand down sentences, at least in crimes of this nature.

In fact, if someone is convicted of murder in Texas, on average they get anywhere from 20 to 40 years in prison. Not the 70 years Bell got, so if you think that is b ad, he could have got a lot less. In my opinion he would have had he not shot Dickens so many times and then jumped bail and been on the run for over a decade.

Of course, Texas's execution numbers have greatly inflated since they changed their laws around 1993 or so to make it much easier to hand out the death penalty to people. One also must remember, that Bell, also was convicted of two counts of indecency with a child, it seems he pled guilty to these and was sentenced to two 10 year sentences to run concurrently with the 70 year murder sentence.

Now, before George W. Bush became Governor, in the years after the death penalty was re-instated, from 1982, through 1994, Texas carried out 55 or so executions. Since January of 1995, Texas has carried out over 350 executions. Not exactly something to be proud of.

Virginia, which has the next highest number of executions carried out to Texas, executed roughly 20 people from the time the death penalty was re-instated through 1993. George Allen was elected Governor in 1993. During the 4 years that George Allen was Governor, 23 inmates were 'executed'. Jim Gilmore was even worse, 31 hauled off to the death house during his time as Governor. These numbers dropped dramatically as 11 were 'executed' during Mark Warner's term. So far 7 have been executed during Tim Kaine's term as Governor and he leaves office at the end of next year.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I am not trying to start an argument with anyone, just thought you would be interested in some facts and figures.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Arnold_OldSchool
Frequent Poster

http://www.10thcoa.courts.state.tx.u...OpinionId=1036

Here's the court appeal document
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Arnold_OldSchool
Frequent Poster

oops...I see another poster found the same thing I did a few days ago. My bad.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Bell is claiming that shooting Larry Dickens was an accident? Okay. I could buy that... if he only shot Larry Dickens ONCE. What about all the other times he shot him, including in the head?

People who make a lifetime evading personal responsibility really tick me off these days...
Old 08-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
mattc
Forum Regular

Not only that, but if I recall, he went BACK to his car to get the gun. He meant to shoot Larry, no doubt.

Regardless, this was one of the hardest segments to watch... whoever played the mother was an amazing actress, and did such a great job portraying the horror of what she saw.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
SitcomsAreTheWay
Forum Regular
Retro Sitcoms Fanatic

It sounds to me as if he's simply justifying his actions; which I find disgusting and it gives me even more of a reason to hate him. He's total scum and has zero sympathy for having taken the life of another. This is coming from the same pervert who exposed himself to the children in the neighborhood the same day. Yeah, try again Ed.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsAreTheWay
It sounds to me as if he's simply justifying his actions; which I find disgusting and it gives me even more of a reason to hate him. He's total scum and has zero sympathy for having taken the life of another. This is coming from the same pervert who exposed himself to the children in the neighborhood the same day. Yeah, try again Ed.

Occasionally, I've heard strories like this; the kind where someone tries to justify a murder by claiming, or perhaps opining, that it was self-defense or a justifiable homicide, even when the facts disprove it (just as how some people have been ignorantly trying to jusitfy the murders of four police officers by a rape suspect in Oakland, CA this past March). One would have to be a fool or uninformed of the case to give any credence to Bell's story.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
Necco
Forum Regular

Wasn't this the guy they found in Panama? A good portion of extradition treaties take the death penalty off the table.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

It was not the extradition treaty that took the death penalty off of the table. The death penalty was never off the table as the crime was not death penalty eligible under Texas law. Only certain types of murder are eligible for the death penalty and this particular murder, as vile as it was, did not meet those criteria.

In terms of Bell taking the stand, my guess is his lawyers tried VERY hard to keep him off of there. I am sure this was the case if they were aware what he was planning on saying. However ultimately it is up to the client. However my guess is, Edward Harold Bell was already looking awful before he testified and all his testimony did was make him look even worse. I mean okay, the whole self defense argument might work if someone is shot once or twice or whatever. But when you shoot a guy six times and even walk back to your truck at one point to get another gun to finish him off, that is not self defense, that is an execution.

Hell, Bell by his own admission already had his keys back, he could have drove off and to be honest, Larry Dickens probably would have died anyway, but Bell walked back to his truck, got another gun, walked back to Dickens who was laying on his drive way in critical condition and he stood over him and shot him in the head.

Basically, this was a case that Bell's lawyers I am sure did not want. He probably had public defenders. In Harris County, Texas, they are the only county in Texas that does not have a public defenders office. So how it works there is that the court appoints private attorneys to the case. However, the incentive for these lawyers to win a case is rather low because what happens is, if they win a case, the court usually decides not to appoint them to other cases.

I have heard some ridiculous attempts at a defendant trying to explain things away but this one is up there. However it is not the worst one I have heard. Ever heard Oba Chandler's testimony? There was a case out of Michigan last year, that of a guy named Orange Taylor III. He had killed a chick in her dorm room (he was a student at the same university and had a history of burglarizing other students dorm rooms and just causing trouble in general). Anyway, he did not actually rape this girl but he left his semen on her clothing. Well, anyway, he knew he had to come up with a justification for why his DNA was there, so his story was that, he admitted burglarizing the room, however his defense was able to discover that this young woman had a mild heart condition that at times caused her to pass out.

So their story was that she had passed out while standing up and had fallen down smacked her head and died. So his story was that she was dead when he burglarized the room but that he thought she was beautiful so he relieved himself. Incredibly, he got two people to buy this as he had a hung jury his first trial. His 2nd trial he was convicted and sentenced to LWOP.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
Necco
Forum Regular

There are lots of absurd defenses that involve self amusement aren't there? Let's not forget Michael Skakel's "I was busy in a tree" comments.