Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Movies
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute


New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #76
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 37,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Just read it.

In seriousness the features and commentaries made buying the three-disc imperial set well worth it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #77
Liza
Moderator
BestYearsofOurLives
 
Liza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 24, 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,479
Send a message via AIM to Liza
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
In seriousness the features and commentaries made buying the three-disc imperial set well worth it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #78
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 37,273
Default

The original members of KISS all hate their 1978 television movie special KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park.

During the time of its release KISS were displeased with how the film made them look and the poor production quality of it that they preferred those that worked with them not talk about the movie at all.

Gene Simmons has stated that the movie is a classic movie if you are on drugs and joked that it will make a great double feature with Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Ace Frehley called it the funniest sh*t he has ever seen.

Peter Criss did not like filming it at all that he refused to do voice over recording sessions, not wanting to waste more time on it, and the result was that his voice was dubbed over in the film.
Attached Images
 
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #79
Retro4Life
Senior Member
Accept No Substitutes
 
Retro4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 04, 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 6,513
Default

I've read several articles that indicate that Gillian Anderson was very unhappy during much of "The X-Files". I guess that's not in the same category as "hating her work"; she never disparaged the show per se, but still, the fact that she disliked working on it really colors my viewing of it now.

Actors certainly aren't obligated to like everything they do just to please their fans, but in this age of unlimited information I often wonder if sometimes we all wouldn't be better off NOT knowing some things.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #80
Dr. Thong
Senior Member
a/k/a "ACK!"
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
The original members of KISS all hate their 1978 television movie special KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park.

During the time of its release KISS were displeased with how the film made them look and the poor production quality of it that they preferred those that worked with them not talk about the movie at all.

Gene Simmons has stated that the movie is a classic movie if you are on drugs and joked that it will make a great double feature with Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Ace Frehley called it the funniest sh*t he has ever seen.

Peter Criss did not like filming it at all that he refused to do voice over recording sessions, not wanting to waste more time on it, and the result was that his voice was dubbed over in the film.

I'm a lifelong KISS fan and I love the movie in a "so bad it's good" way. Part of the fun of watching it now is picking apart the poor acting, cheap special effects and the storyline.

I'm sure when I was 12 years old and watched it on its network premiere that I thought it was great. But time and age have given me the proper perspective on it.
__________________
"Sunday has been cancelled due to lack of interest. That is all."
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #81
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 37,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
I'm a lifelong KISS fan and I love the movie in a "so bad it's good" way. Part of the fun of watching it now is picking apart the poor acting, cheap special effects and the storyline.

I'm sure when I was 12 years old and watched it on its network premiere that I thought it was great. But time and age have given me the proper perspective on it.

Much to KISS' dismay Phantom of the Park got a lot of views on its airing; it was actually one of the highest rated television movies at the time. I think they wanted this movie to disappear and hoped hardly anyone tuned in after they had viewed it.

I also find it funny that this aired around the time of the ill-fated Star Wars Holiday Special tv-movie. 1978 seemed to be the year of cheese.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #82
catlover79
Moderator
Forum Legend
God Bless Val
 
catlover79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2006
Location: Bewitched in Ohio
Posts: 69,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Much to KISS' dismay Phantom of the Park got a lot of views on its airing; it was actually one of the highest rated television movies at the time. I think they wanted this movie to disappear and hoped hardly anyone tuned in after they had viewed it.

I also find it funny that this aired around the time of the ill-fated Star Wars Holiday Special tv-movie. 1978 seemed to be the year of cheese.
Definitely. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Thank God It's Friday also came out in 1978.
__________________
"Jesus loves you and He approves this message."

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #83
Dr. Thong
Senior Member
a/k/a "ACK!"
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Much to KISS' dismay Phantom of the Park got a lot of views on its airing; it was actually one of the highest rated television movies at the time. I think they wanted this movie to disappear and hoped hardly anyone tuned in after they had viewed it.

I also find it funny that this aired around the time of the ill-fated Star Wars Holiday Special tv-movie. 1978 seemed to be the year of cheese.

KISS was at the peak of their popularity in 1978 and I was their target audience. It worked. I was glued to the set.

I remember going out for dinner with my Father that night (Saturday) and insisting we had to be back by 8 PM so I could see the KISS movie.

This was pre-cable, pre-VCR, so if you missed it, that was it! I don't even think the movie was rerun for several years. Wonder why.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #84
Dr. Thong
Senior Member
a/k/a "ACK!"
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Definitely. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Thank God It's Friday also came out in 1978.

Yeah, what kind of a person would actually go see Sgt. Pepper's in a theater?

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #85
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 37,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
KISS was at the peak of their popularity in 1978 and I was their target audience. It worked. I was glued to the set.

I remember going out for dinner with my Father that night (Saturday) and insisting we had to be back by 8 PM so I could see the KISS movie.

This was pre-cable, pre-VCR, so if you missed it, that was it! I don't even think the movie was rerun for several years. Wonder why.

I'm actually glad that KISS finally gave in to the demand of the fans and decided to release Phantom of the Park. You can find it on the KISSology Vol. II DVD set as a feature. It had a VHS release years ago but after that it hasn't been released for years and it was a hot bootleg item.

BTW, did you manage to catch that Star Wars Holiday Special movie since this aired within a month of the KISS special? That hasn't been released at all since the original airing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #86
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 37,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Definitely. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Thank God It's Friday also came out in 1978.

ugh...

However not everything that came from 1978 was bad...
Attached Images
 
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #87
catlover79
Moderator
Forum Legend
God Bless Val
 
catlover79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2006
Location: Bewitched in Ohio
Posts: 69,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Yeah, what kind of a person would actually go see Sgt. Pepper's in a theater?

Not me...I wasn't even born yet!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #88
catlover79
Moderator
Forum Legend
God Bless Val
 
catlover79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2006
Location: Bewitched in Ohio
Posts: 69,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza
He actually bought it, Emily!! You've got to be so disappointed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #89
Dr. Thong
Senior Member
a/k/a "ACK!"
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I'm actually glad that KISS finally gave in to the demand of the fans and decided to release Phantom of the Park. You can find it on the KISSology Vol. II DVD set as a feature.

What they actually put on KISSology II is Attack Of The Phantoms, a different edit that was released to theaters in Europe and Australia. There are a couple of scenes in Attack that aren't in the US TV movie and they replaced the background score music from the TV movie with songs from the solo albums.

So, KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park remains officially unissued on DVD to this day. I thought that maybe they'd release it last year for the 30th anniversary, but no dice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #90
catlover79
Moderator
Forum Legend
God Bless Val
 
catlover79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2006
Location: Bewitched in Ohio
Posts: 69,229
Default

Ironically, KISS was offered the chance to play the Future Villain Band in Sgt. Pepper and turned it down flat. They were replaced by Aerosmith. So I guess 1978 could've been a lot worse for KISS.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.