Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Movies
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Default Celebrities Who Have Publically Stated That They Hated Their Own Work...

Does anybody know of any other people who have admitted that they didn't like a particular piece of their own work? These are the few that I knew of:

- Bill Cosby hated Leonard Part 6 released in 1987. He encouraged fans in his interviews not to waste their money on this movie.

- Charlize Theron said in an interview that her least favorite of her work was Ben Affleck's Reindeer Games. She called it a bad, bad movie and that the only thing good was that she got to work with director John Frankenheimer; now deceased.

- Seann William Scott said that his two worst movies were Jessica Simpson's The Dukes of Hazzard and Billy Bob Thornton's Mr. Woodcock.

- Sylvester Stallone admitted that ROCKY V is the weakest of the ROCKY series. He did not start off ROCKY BALBOA with a montage of clips from ROCKY V.

- Sir Alec Guinness hated the Star Wars franchise. He was glad to be killed off in the first one and appeared on less screen time in the subsequent films.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
MusicJunkie
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MusicJunkie Send a message via AIM to MusicJunkie Send a message via Yahoo to MusicJunkie

Michelle Pfieffer always seems to slight Grease 2 at any chance she gets

musically... Gene Simmons always bashes the 1983-1990 period of KISS
Old 11-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
TJL
Forum Veteran
Suburbanite Extrordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
- Charlize Theron said in an interview that her least favorite of her work was Ben Affleck's Reindeer Games. She called it a bad, bad movie and that the only thing good was that she got to work with director John Frankenheimer; now deceased.

I take it Charlize never saw Aeon Flux, the sci fi stink bomb she made a few years back.

Read my blogs!
http://centralparkamisguide.com/
http://dvdcriticscorner.com
Visit me on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641138880
Hey, I do the tweet thing too!
http://twitter.com/TomLevier
My shop of handmade items!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ColdGarageCreations
Old 11-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
TJL
Forum Veteran

I remember Renee Zellweger raised some Hell when they re-released The Return Of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 1997.

Renee made the movie back in 1994 when she was an unknown and the film had a limited release then, but when she became a breakout star with Jerry McGuire, the producers of this terrible movie got it back in the theaters to cash in on Renee's new stardom.

The movie was released, but Renee wanted nothing to do with it.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
70s show watcher

robert redford went to the press and tv and disowned his movie the glass house even going so far as to warn people to stay away from it
Old 11-02-2008, 01:19 AM   #6
Yooch

Not knowing the details, but I remember hearing Robert Young (of Father Knows Best) saying this in so many words, that he didn't like his own work at one point in his career.

Also, didn't Paul Newman mention that he didn't watch his own movies, or something like that?

I like both of these actors' work. Maybe they had a certain degree of self-consciousness. It's been said that we are our own worst critics, when to others, we are perfectly fine.
"The true meaning of America, you ask? It's in a Texas rodeo, in a policeman's badge, in the sound of laughing children, in a political rally, in a newspaper...In all these things and many more, you'll find freedom. And freedom is what America means to the world. And to me."
--Audie Leon Murphy
June 20, 1924--
May 28, 1971

Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
TJL
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Sir Alec Guinness hated the Star Wars franchise. He was glad to be killed off in the first one and appeared on less screen time in the subsequent films.

It always bugged me that Alec Guinness never cared for the role he played in Star Wars history. So many young people like myself began watching his other movies thanks to Star Wars. He created a whole new generation of fans.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
- Sir Alec Guinness hated the Star Wars franchise. He was glad to be killed off in the first one and appeared on less screen time in the subsequent films.
That was a big surprise. I remember an interview where he said he was handed the script and was utterly repulsed by the notion of doing sci-fi, and then started reading it, and was quite impressed.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
TJL
Forum Veteran

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry about Alec Guinness:

Guinness' role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy, beginning in 1977, brought him worldwide recognition by a new generation. Guinness agreed to take the part on the condition that he would not have to do publicity to promote the film. He was also one of the few cast members who believed that the film would be a box office hit and negotiated a deal for two percent of the gross, which made him very wealthy in later life. His role would also result in a Golden Globe Nomination and Academy Award Nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

Despite all this, Guinness was never happy with being identified with the part, and expressed great dismay at the fan following that the Star Wars trilogy attracted. In the DVD commentary of Star Wars: A New Hope, director George Lucas says that Guinness was not happy with the script re-write in which Obi-Wan is killed. However, Guinness stated in a 1999 interview that it was actually his idea to kill off Obi Wan, persuading Lucas that it would make him a stronger character. Lucas agreed to the idea, but Guinness confided in the interview, "what I didn't tell [Lucas] was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo". He continued by saying that he "shrivelled up" every time Star Wars was mentioned to him[6]. Despite his dislike of the films, fellow cast members Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Anthony Daniels, and Carrie Fisher (as well as Lucas) have always spoken highly of his courtesy and professionalism on and off the set, wherein he did not let his distaste for the material show to his co-stars. Lucas credited him with inspiring fellow cast and crew to work harder, saying he was instrumental in helping to complete filming of the movies.

Guinness has been quoted as saying that the royalties he obtained from working on the films gave him "no complaints; let me leave it by saying I can live for the rest of my life in the reasonably modest way I am now used to, that I have no debts and I can afford to refuse work that doesn't appeal to me". In his autobiography, Blessings In Disguise, Guinness tells an imaginary interviewer "Blessed be Star Wars!", while in the final volume of the book A Positively Final Appearance (1997), he recounts grudgingly giving an autograph to a young fan who claimed to have watched Star Wars over 100 times, on the condition that the fan promised to stop watching the film, because as Guinness put it "this is going to be an ill effect on your life". The fan was stunned at first, but later thanked him. Guinness grew so tired of modern audiences seeming to remember him only for his role of Obi-Wan Kenobi that he would throw away the fan mail he received from Star Wars fans without reading it.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJunkie
Michelle Pfieffer always seems to slight Grease 2 at any chance she gets

musically... Gene Simmons always bashes the 1983-1990 period of KISS

LOL about Grease 2, good.

Gene Simmons admitted that the 80s was a bad time for KISS. That's also around the time when Gene tried to break out into acting; starring in Tom Selleck's Runaway and Wanted Dead or Alive to name a few...
Old 11-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJL
I remember Renee Zellweger raised some Hell when they re-released The Return Of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 1997.

Renee made the movie back in 1994 when she was an unknown and the film had a limited release then, but when she became a breakout star with Jerry McGuire, the producers of this terrible movie got it back in the theaters to cash in on Renee's new stardom.

The movie was released, but Renee wanted nothing to do with it.

That film also starred a then unknown Matthew McConaughey. He takes a more cool approach about this film and stated that being on the set of this movie was one of his best working experiences.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
tv star collector
I Love Susie

Hugh Beaumont never watched Leave It to Beaver, and Harrison Ford
doesn't watch his movies.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #13
MusicJunkie
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MusicJunkie Send a message via AIM to MusicJunkie Send a message via Yahoo to MusicJunkie

I think for actors like Paul Newman, Harrison Ford and others who don't watch their own movies, that's quite different than an actor to bash a certain movie they've been in when asked in an interview. I think for a lot of actors, there's no point in watching the movie when they worked on it for months anyways. I know a lot of singers admit they don't listen to their music because from writing the song/recording it/mixing it and then rehearsing and performing them dozens to thousands of times depending on how the song goes over, there's no real point for them to be compelled to put a song on to listen to during down time. I know Barbra Streisand has gone on record saying that she always takes fifteen years after releasing an album before she listens to it, because that's as much time as it takes for her to put away the memories of recording them and everything and making the song somewhat fresh to listen to.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
#bestpicture

Quote:
That film also starred a then unknown Matthew McConaughey. He takes a more cool approach about this film and stated that being on the set of this movie was one of his best working experiences.

It's nice to hear that he feels that way about the film, instead of taking the snotty approach like Renee (which comes as no surprise). I actually like the movie. It's one of those films that's so bad it's good. Renee has nothing to do with that, either. In my opinion, the film is completely carried by actress Lisa Newmyer.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonM15
It's nice to hear that he feels that way about the film, instead of taking the snotty approach like Renee (which comes as no surprise). I actually like the movie. It's one of those films that's so bad it's good. Renee has nothing to do with that, either. In my opinion, the film is completely carried by actress Lisa Newmyer.

Yep it is cool. BTW, it is reported he still has the robot leg.