Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Default If "Happy Days" Had Ended In 1980

Of course, I've stated over and over again that Happy Days should've ended when Ron Howard left the show.

This got me to thinking of what I'd do for a "final" episode at the end of season seven.

I would have had it be the graduation of Richie, Ralph & Potsie from college. Yeah, I know, they'd only been in college three years, but it wouldn't be the first liberty the show had taken in regards to the period.

It would have been a rite of passage: We would have heard what the guys would go on to: Richie a journalist, perhaps - possibly even announcing his engagement to Lori Beth, etc.

I don't know what Ralph and Potsie would have become, but I think it would have been better had everything been neatly sewn up rather than what happened with Richie and Ralph conveniently "drafted" to explain their absence from the show.

Thoughts, anyone on what might have happened if the "final" episode had aired in the spring of 1980?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
spreckenzeedeu
Forum Regular
form.known.as iris*happydays

One of the FanFics I have written starts shortly after Richie,Potsie,Ralph graduated from College ... and Richie is a Journalist, Potsie a Psychologist, Ralph a Ophthalmologist.

I took what was mentioned and built/created it ... because I really like the Idea
Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

not at all agree, it is a pity that there are more Richie and Ralph OK

But I have loved the same last season, where they have been thorough and Joanie Chaco, for me the 8th was the start of growth for the young.

with the 11 that also Joanie and Chacha were married, the series was complete! because now everyone had grown up.

sorry but I was just doing the 8th -9 -11 season (the 10th is a bit another account)
Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I like that idea. Just as I feel Bewitched should've ended in 1969 with the departure of Dick York, I agree that HD should've folded in 1980 when Ron Howard left. To me, HE was the real star of the show.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

well, I have not said that the fact that applicant is no more beautiful is one thing, I say only that the series I like it.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
Avilos
Frequent Poster

They could have ended it like American Graffiti. Just having text on screen explaining what happens to the characters in the future,
Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

This is true
Old 10-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
faraj
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I like that idea. Just as I feel Bewitched should've ended in 1969 with the departure of Dick York, I agree that HD should've folded in 1980 when Ron Howard left. To me, HE was the real star of the show.
Did you know that there's an amazing coincidence involved in those 2 shows after Ron Howard and Dick York left Happy Days and Bewitched, respectively? There were at least 80 episodes with Dick Sargent as Darrin #2 and without Ron Howard.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I don't think a finale can be done in just 5 and a half years, i think it has to be on the year for a minimum of 7 years to have the characters closed out properly and not seemed rushed
Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

sorry but I still do not understand that there is that does not go in recent seasons, I found beautiful the 8th, 9th season, the last two slightly less, and I especially liked the growth of Joanie, Chaci and FOnzie, sorry but my opinion is that Happy days is better to be continued until you see the marriage of Joanie, so why are all grown.

for me with only 7 seasons would not be the same.

what we understand is that Richie lacking, to me missing But Happy Days continues at will
Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I can see season 7 being the only bad season because that was the season that writers and producers had to get used to not having Richie and Ralph. By season 8 and 9, it was no longer a big deal
Old 10-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #14
Avilos
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySportsHater
I can see season 7 being the only bad season because that was the season that writers and producers had to get used to not having Richie and Ralph. By season 8 and 9, it was no longer a big deal

You mean 8th right? The 8th was the first without Richie.

I agree. Because Ron had an exclusive contract with NBC to direct tv movies he could not appear on ABC in any way. Though it sounds like he would have done guest appearance in the 8th season if allowed to. But all the constant references to Richie and about him not being there made the show seem stuck in its past.

It also did not help that Lori Beth was not given much to do without Richie. Other than the wedding episode and the pregnancy she did not have much to do. Its seems odd that she was made a regular cast member. Which is a shame. I have always liked Lynda Goodfriend! She is very cute! Good actress too.

The 10th season is the really OFF SEASON. No Joanie or Chachi expect guest appearances due to the spin-off. KC and FLip were never developed to well. IS it ever even explained what happened to them? Did they just disappear like Chuck? Flip COULD still be living with Roger but we don't ever see him. But he would have been at Joanie and Chaci's wedding then.

Wouldn't Joanie Loves Chachi have made more sense to have been tried after Happy Days ended? It might have fared better that way. Everyone knew they would get married. There was no mystery or suspense of whether they would breakup. Even the title of the show proved that. So them being newlyweds starting a band would have worked. Plus it would not have negatively affected Happy Days the way their absence in the 10th season did. Otherwise the show must have seemed like to much Happy Days at the same time. But after HD Joanie Loves chachi would have been the only place to see the characters. Guest appearances from characters, like the Fonz, would have been more special then.

I liked Ashley. I would have been nice to see her in at least one episode during the last season.

Last edited by Avilos : 10-25-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:28 AM   #15
MusicJunkie
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MusicJunkie Send a message via AIM to MusicJunkie Send a message via Yahoo to MusicJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySportsHater
I don't think a finale can be done in just 5 and a half years, i think it has to be on the year for a minimum of 7 years to have the characters closed out properly and not seemed rushed
6 1/2 seasons (since technically s1 was a half-season so I'd say 6 1/2 and not 7) isn't a really long time but I think it was long enough that they could've pulled the plug with Ron leaving. 6 1/2 seasons is the amount of time that The Dukes Of Hazzard and Buffy The Vampire Slayer lasted, and both shows were seen as having good runs and ended at the right time, but hour long shows are different than sitcoms.

I think what should've been done was ABC give him a raise and strike a deal with him and Donny to come back and promote the 1980-1981 season as the last year. With all the last season hoopla, ratings would've bounced back up and the last few years wouldn't have happened.