Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hogan's Heroes links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hogan's Heroes Photo Gallery

Hogan's Heroes - The Complete First Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Sixth & Final Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Sixth & Final Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Komplete Series - Kommandant's Kollection

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Komplete Series - Kommandant's Kollection on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hogan's Heroes
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Billy K.
Forum Regular

Default Question about Pilot Episode...

Didn't Carter escape Stalig 13 at the end of the episode? Also what happened to Olsen - the guy that escaped and/traded with Carter?

That seems to me a loose end on why Carter stayed on at Stalig 13...

Because last I see him in line with the other Prisoners -- but before that scene doesn't Hogan tell the men on the Sub to pick up Carter earlier than expected???
Old 09-30-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

I haven't seen the pilot in YEARS, but now that I think about it, I think you're right about Carter, I don't know about your second question though.
But, producers and writers of a show will sometimes change little things after the pilot of a show. I saw recently, the opening of the "HH" pilot on you tube, and I noticed that the outside of Col. Klinks office is a little different-the "KOMMODANT" sign is on the left of the steps instead of the right.

Also, in the opening of the pilot of "GET SMART" the outside of Control is different, and Max has a different car.

And on the pilot of "THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW" (which was shown as an episode of "MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY") the interior of the courthouse is different, the cells are different, the "town drunk" is different, Andy has 2 desks, the phone is different, Andy doesn't have a deputy, and he's also the newspaper editor.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 10-08-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
ncrdbl1
Occasional Poster

It is not uncommon for the pilot to be entirely different character wise than the series. They change based on focus groups. More interesting things is in the pilot Burkhalter was a Col and not a general. A part of the description of Klink in the series is that he has been longer in grade than any Col in the german army. In another show he is described as a full Col. This would actually make Klink, Burkhalters superior. Of course we know this isn't true. Fact is that a lot of sitcoms do not follow storylines as closely as fans do. They tend to ignore certain items and pretend they never happen if they need to.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
CAJeannieFan57
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrdbl1
It is not uncommon for the pilot to be entirely different character wise than the series. They change based on focus groups. More interesting things is in the pilot Burkhalter was a Col and not a general. A part of the description of Klink in the series is that he has been longer in grade than any Col in the german army. In another show he is described as a full Col. This would actually make Klink, Burkhalters superior. Of course we know this isn't true. Fact is that a lot of sitcoms do not follow storylines as closely as fans do. They tend to ignore certain items and pretend they never happen if they need to.

The whole inconsistencies bit isn't only in HH. Many sitcoms have that problem. That's probably because many sitcoms in the 60s were such low-budget that they didn't keep a person on staff as a story consultant (or similar title), and since many scripts were purchased from freelance writers who only had brief outlines of the show, big goofs happened.

What you describe happened in I Dream of Jeannie as well. Major Healey was a walk-on the pilot; he gained status after the pilot sold. There was Major Nelson's fiance in the pilot; they got rid of her in episode 4, but no mention of her was made in episodes 2 or 3. Etc etc and so forth.
An I Dream of Jeannie Fan Website
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Wiseguy2
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy K.
Didn't Carter escape Stalig 13 at the end of the episode? Also what happened to Olsen - the guy that escaped and/traded with Carter?

That seems to me a loose end on why Carter stayed on at Stalig 13...

Because last I see him in line with the other Prisoners -- but before that scene doesn't Hogan tell the men on the Sub to pick up Carter earlier than expected???

After the pilot, two potential regulars Leonid Kinskey and Stewart Moss decided not to continue with the series although Moss made a couple of appearances as Olsen in later episodes. The producers decided to bring Hovis as Carter back to partially replace the two departing actors, although in the pilot Carter was a lieutenant and in the series he was a sergeant. How and why the character came back was never explained.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJeannieFan57
The whole inconsistencies bit isn't only in HH. Many sitcoms have that problem. That's probably because many sitcoms in the 60s were such low-budget that they didn't keep a person on staff as a story consultant (or similar title), and since many scripts were purchased from freelance writers who only had brief outlines of the show, big goofs happened.

What you describe happened in I Dream of Jeannie as well. Major Healey was a walk-on the pilot; he gained status after the pilot sold. There was Major Nelson's fiance in the pilot; they got rid of her in episode 4, but no mention of her was made in episodes 2 or 3. Etc etc and so forth.
it also happened in the 70s; for example THE ODD COUPLE had TONS of mistakes.