Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Love Lucy (Sitcoms Online) / I Love Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Love Lucy Photo Gallery

I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Seventh-Ninth Seasons (The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour)

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Seventh-Ninth Seasons on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD
I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 on Blu-ray

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > I Love Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Preview New ABC Comedy Selfie Pilot with Twitter; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of August 25, 2014)
TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Has The Beverly Hillbillies; Eva Longoria Heads to Brooklyn Nine-Nine for Arc
Antenna TV Fall 2014 Schedule; Cloo Honors Robin Williams with Mork & Mindy Week
MeTV Network Fall 2014 Schedule; Disney Channel Posts Strong Ratings on Friday with Girl Meets World and Original Movie
Soap, Happy Endings on Logo; SNL Saturday Marathon on TV Land
Summer 2014 Week 12 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Hosting Gig for Craig Ferguson; Wonder Years DVD Music Update; New DVDs from Mill Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)

Community - The Complete Fifth Season Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season Parks and Recreation - Season Six Three's Company - The Complete Series Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series

08/05 - Californication - The Final (Seventh) Season
08/05 - Community - The Complete Fifth Season
08/05 - Mad About You - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - The Nanny - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - Dennis the Menace (Animated) - Lights! Camera! Menace!
08/12 - Bitten - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/19 - The Millers - The First Season
08/19 - The Mindy Project - Season Two
08/19 - Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season
08/19 - Parks and Recreation - Season Six
08/19 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
08/19 - Once Upon a Time - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
08/26 - Austin & Ally - Chasing the Beat
08/26 - Good Luck Charlie - So Long, Farewell!
08/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series
08/26 - Revenge - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
The Great One

Wasn't Desi born in Cuba?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #17
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Wasn't Desi born in Cuba?
Yes, Desi was a native of Santiago, Cuba.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Damn you've got perfect timing, I just wasted my time answering the question.
Well you know what they say Charles! Great minds think alike!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Well you know what they say Charles! Great minds think alike!

True but the same timestamp thing really gets on my nerves. I'll just delete my reply, No sense in 2 people answering the same question.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
TV_on_the_Porch
Forum Regular
anything good on?

Quote:
In U.S. census documents, the designation white overlaps, as do all other official racial categories, with the term Hispanic, which was introduced in the 1980 census as a category of ethnicity, separate and independent of race.

See it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_American

I'm happy to "back up my claim" but at the same time frankly somewhat appalled that it's even necessary for me to do so.

There are upright-walking beings who think Cuban is a race?? God save us.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #21
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRyan
See it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_American

I'm happy to "back up my claim" but at the same time frankly somewhat appalled that it's even necessary for me to do so.

I don't normally trust Wikipedia but you may have a valid point.

Last edited by Zoneboy : 04-02-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #22
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I would say that Ricky and Lucy were the first interracial couple. It was also about timing too. Had they did this show ten years later after Castro came into power into Cuba, they probably would have never gotten on the air.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #23
gidgetgrape
Hello out there in TV Land!

Desi Arnaz was a Cuban which makes him Hispanic or Latino. Maybe things things are different now, but he was not seen as a white person by Hollywood and the general public in the 50s. He played Latin Lover types in movies.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #24
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetgrape
Desi Arnaz was a Cuban which makes him Hispanic or Latino. Maybe things things are different now, but he was not seen as a white person by Hollywood and the general public in the 50s. He played Latin Lover types in movies.
I don't think anyone is questioning Desi's latin heritage. I think the real question here is whether or not latin is a race. My experience with Latin America is restricted to one two-week visit to Cuba in 1980. Because my Aunt and Uncle were missionaries there I had the opportunity to meet many Cuban people. Some were white, some were black, others were a mixture of both. Yet all of them were latino. So it seems to me the term latino is more related to language and culture than race.

Therefore Lucy and Desi were probably TV's first intercultural couple but not necessarily the first interracial couple.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #25
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Isn't the Hispanic race so similar to the Caucasian one that's this issue isn't really an issue? I think it was more just because he was a foreigner, and not a Western-European one at that. If Lucy had married a Brit, it may not have been as big a deal. But OMG...he speaks another language! That's frightening!!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #26
Yooch

I haven't researched Desi Arnaz, but I suspect he was of Creole background (like Castro), making him totally, 100% Caucasian. I looked up Creole, and the first definition given said that it was someone from the West Indies of European background (and in Desi Arnaz' case)--Spanish. I Love Lucy was definitely inter-ethnic, no question about it, but interracial? In my opinion at least, I'd say no. Even to be inter-ethnic in the 1950s was a pretty gutsy move, and one that paid off--in one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.
"The true meaning of America, you ask? It's in a Texas rodeo, in a policeman's badge, in the sound of laughing children, in a political rally, in a newspaper...In all these things and many more, you'll find freedom. And freedom is what America means to the world. And to me."
--Audie Leon Murphy
June 20, 1924--
May 28, 1971

Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #27
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
Isn't the Hispanic race so similar to the Caucasian one that's this issue isn't really an issue?

As others have already pointed out, the term "Hispanic" designates an ethnic group, not a race. Some Hispanics are black, some are white, some are mixed. Desi Arnaz was 100% white with his ancestry tracing to Europe (Spain), not Africa. So he and Lucille Ball were both of the same race, Caucasian, but they were from different ethic groups: Anglo-Saxon and French (Lucille) and Hispanic (Desi). They had a mixed heritage or inter-ethnic marriage, not an interracial one. The first interracial couple in a regular series on television were the Tom and Louise Willis on The Jeffersons.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #28
Hughsgirl
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRyan
Desi Arnaz was a caucasian. A dark-skinned caucasian is no less caucasian than a light-skinned black is black. Lucy and Desi are not recognized as TV's first interracial couple for a very good reason: they're not.

Desi Arnaz was CUBAN!! BORN IN CUBA!! They were considered an INTERACIAL COUPLE..that is why they had such a hard time getting CBS to buy the show at first! CBS said that people wouldn't believe that an American girl would marry a Cuban!! They even confirmed it in the 50th Anniversary Special that I have on tape!!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #29
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Cuban is a nationality not a race. So Lucy and Desi were TV's first international couple.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #30
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughsgirl
Desi Arnaz was CUBAN!! BORN IN CUBA!! They were considered an INTERACIAL COUPLE..that is why they had such a hard time getting CBS to buy the show at first! CBS said that people wouldn't believe that an American girl would marry a Cuban!! They even confirmed it in the 50th Anniversary Special that I have on tape!!

There's no need to yell. And as as been explained here ad nauseam, being from Cuba has nothing to do with Desi's race. He and Lucy were both Caucasian. You can't have an interracial marriage if both parties are of the same race, as they were. They were different ethnicities, but not different races. The controversy at that time was about that, and similar to the controversy years later on Bridget Loves Bernie, where the two main characters had different religious backgrounds, though they were still of the same race.