Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
You got that right. I think when he wears one, it's only because he has to for a movie. Your avatar is great, Sonny. Love that two face, lol.
Thanks Janice.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #17
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Toupees...ugh!!!! My dad was balding from the time he was in his late teens, and has proudly sported the Kojak look for many years. Bald looks better than a toupee anyday!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #18
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Both Pernell Roberts and Lorne Greene wore toupees on "Bonanza." Dan Blocker started wearing one in 1968. There is a blooper video on YouTube in which Dan bends over to pick something up and his hat falls off... he had no hair at all on the top of his head.

Fortunately, it looks like I won't be bald. I have all my hair (it's just getting grey/white, though).
Old 08-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Don't forget Marv Albert...
Attached Images

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #20
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

^
Old 08-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #21
Dusty's Fan

Don't forget the Bonanza legend/outtake about Lorne Greene's toupee floating on the water after he had to jump into a pond...!

It should be noted that Pernell Roberts did not want to wear a toupee, but the producers insisted.

Others: Unless I'm mistaken, Don Stark wore a toupee on That '70s Show ("revealed" on the air!).

Fred MacMurray wore a toupee on My Three Sons.

Bob Keeshan wore a wig in the later years of Captain Kangaroo.

I read that some kind of clips were added to Bing Crosby's hair to fill in (movies).

Sportscasting legend Howard Cosell wore a rug.

Finally, in the way of procedures, something was happening with Kelsey Grammer's hair during the run of Frasier, as he later had somewhat better coverage on top. And newsguy Hugh Downs ("20/20") had implants done years ago -- that's well known.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #22
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Fan
Don't forget the Bonanza legend/outtake about Lorne Greene's toupee floating on the water after he had to jump into a pond...!

I've read about that, but haven't seen it.

Quote:
It should be noted that Pernell Roberts did not want to wear a toupee, but the producers insisted.

I wonder if he really needed one, at least during the show's early years. He was born in 1928 (same year as Dan Blocker) so he was only 31 years old when Bonanza started in Sept., 1959.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #23
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Bernie Koppell--was shocked to find this out on the All Star Family Feud DVD!

And I think Richard Dawson referred to his hair as a rug too!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
I've read about that, but haven't seen it.

I wonder if he really needed one, at least during the show's early years. He was born in 1928 (same year as Dan Blocker) so he was only 31 years old when Bonanza started in Sept., 1959.
Some guys start to lose their hair in their late teens and 20s. My cousin's 36 and lost most of his hair years ago. At my recent high school reunion, some of the guys were balding as well.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #25
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Some guys start to lose their hair in their late teens and 20s. My cousin's 36 and lost most of his hair years ago. At my recent high school reunion, some of the guys were balding as well.
I guess Pernell's hair was receding enough to where it was obvious he was losing hair.

I'll say again... I'm glad I have my hair! See:
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #26
Dusty's Fan

Pernell appeared on Hawaii Five-O in 1971 without a toupee. His coverage on top was extremely sparse. So by that time he was approaching his Trapper John MD appearance (sans beard) -- only 6 years after leaving Bonanza.

Also known to wear toupees: Carl Reiner (especially noteworthy is the
Dick Van Dyke Show episode in which Alan Brady's baldness is revealed). And his son Rob wore wigs on All in the Family.

Finally, does anyone else recall Teri Hatcher showing the extra hair that she clips on for fullness?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 PM   #27
Cactus Jack
Forum Idol
RonFingSwanson

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
It may have just been a skit, but I think Conan O'Brien wears one. Every once in awhile I'll catch a few minutes of his show. I once watched him flip his hair forward. That's what makes me think he might wear one.
No he doesn't, that hair's REAL LOL

Id Love to help you Tracy, but I cant have sex with a black guy, Id lose my endorsement deal with NASCAR-Jenna Maroney,30 Rock

April 17,2009 9:02 PM : 100,000th post!

[/b]
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
PunkyP0WER
Banned!!
WAKE UP & DREAM

on in the heat of the night toward the end of the series i think caroll o'connor started wearing a piece. looked awful. he also had the gap in his front teeth bonded, looked really weird after all those years. i could see him doing it when 'heat' first started for a fresh look into a new show but he did this toward the end. it was very weird.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #29
tv star collector
I Love Susie

TV

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned ...

George Burns (he even made jokes about it)!
Old 01-20-2009, 03:54 AM   #30
megamanj2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJL
I read online that both Tony Randall and Jack Klugman were wearing toupees while on the Odd Couple. It's understandable, since both of them weren't exactly youngsters when that show originally aired.

But in al the years i have watched reruns of the show, i never thought they were wearing toupees.

Yep, I knew Jack Klugman wore a toup.

When I saw him on his early appearances on game shows like Password and Match Game, his frontal hairline was very parted in the front and when I went back to see hm on his appearances on The Odd Couple and especially Quincy, MD, you can tell Klugman did INDEED wear a toupee.

In fact, he even said out loud on his 1979 apperance on "Password Plus" that wore a toupee after host Allen Ludden asked him why he was wearing a hat.

But I didn't know Tony Randall wore one this whole time?!