Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Caroline in the City links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Caroline in the City Photo Gallery

Caroline in the City - The First Season

Buy Caroline in the City - The First Season on DVD
Caroline in the City - The Second Season

Buy Caroline in the City - The Second Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Caroline in the City
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Caroline in the City - The First Season DVD Review

A successful syndicated cartoonist, Caroline Duffy (Lea Thompson) is a neurotic New Yorker who draws upon life’s little experiences for comic inspiration. Aiding her in her quest for love and material are a zany trio of co-workers and friends including her boyfriend Del (Eric Lutes), her sarcastic but secretly smitten assistant Richard (Malcolm Gets), and her neighbor and best friend Annie (Amy Dietz). Caroline in the City is a smart and funny comedy jam-packed with witty banter, caustic comebacks, and wicked one-liners. 

Read our review by Seth here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/carolin...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
Sophia's Wrinkles
Forum Regular

I really want to buy this, but I've never seen it, and I refuse to blind buy another series, fall in love with it, and then never see another episode again. I know it's counteractive, but I'll wait for more seasons.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Chocolate Moose

Sophia, you WILL fall in love with this season! The final season is both zany and soap-opera'ish and you'll wish it never ended !
Old 08-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
waichingliu81
debbie allen

i already own all four seasons of CITC, seeing as it was released in the uk a few years ago on dvd. the first season was great because it was really funny and amusing. second season good, the third one is very good, even though not a lot of CITC fans loved it. the fourth one was a dissapointment- it started off well but by the middle of the last season it all went pear shaped and thus, we had the crappy last episode- of which the ending was unresolved .

the region 2 version of CITC has crappy extras, mainly a character/actor profile, the pilot episode, an episode synopsis and well that's it

well, that's my take on it
Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
Smartboy

A am very happy that something has finely happened to stimulate some more conversation about this wonderful TV show and the lovely little lady that starred it it! I will be sure to buy the DVD very shortly after it get released. One thing that I am really hoping is that it sells well enough so that the rest of the seasons come out in due time! This is especially true being that my all-time favorite episode is in the fourth and last season! Every time I hear the song "Funky Town" playing anywhere, my mind and my heart are always taken back to the site of Lea Thompson swinging her butt to the beat! I have posted a bunch of messages about this reality, however, I have gotten surprisingly few responses! The threads that I have started that deal with this topic include "Butts", "Splitsville" and "Return of Sudsy Guy". The titled of the last thread is also the titled of the fourth-season episode that this incident took place in. I would be very interested in what other fans the show think of the episode or my comments about it!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Vivek
First Time Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Vivek

Thanks for the review Seth .

After messing up the order of episodes on Region 2 and delaying the Region 1 release for so long, I was expecting them(CBS/Paramount) to fix the order this time. But they didn't even bother to do so and they topped that by adding edited episodes and replacing original music. Nice work Paramount, you did the same with Season 1 of Family Ties. There you went beyond replacing music and actually cut a whole scene out. I should have bought all the CITC Region 2 season sets long ago, cause they are not getting any better with Region 1.

Btw do the Region 2 DVDs have similar disclaimers about edited episodes and music being replaced?

"Caroline and the Wedding" is supposed to the Season 1 finale. And episode "Caroline and the Condom" should be after "Caroline and the Watch". AHHHHHH..

Guys sorry if I went on a rant there, it's just that I waited so long for this and I have now ended up being disappointed .
Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
waichingliu81
debbie allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek
Thanks for the review Seth .

After messing up the order of episodes on Region 2 and delaying the Region 1 release for so long, I was expecting them(CBS/Paramount) to fix the order this time. But they didn't even bother to do so and they topped that by adding edited episodes and replacing original music. Nice work Paramount, you did the same with Season 1 of Family Ties. There you went beyond replacing music and actually cut a whole scene out. I should have bought all the CITC Region 2 season sets long ago, cause they are not getting any better with Region 1.

Btw do the Region 2 DVDs have similar disclaimers about edited episodes and music being replaced?

"Caroline and the Wedding" is supposed to the Season 1 finale. And episode "Caroline and the Condom" should be after "Caroline and the Watch". AHHHHHH..

Guys sorry if I went on a rant there, it's just that I waited so long for this and I have now ended up being disappointed .

not that i know of because the episodes in the region 2 version that i own are in the wrong order as well. you're right- '...the condom' episode should have came BEFORE the wedding episode, the final episode of season 1.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Smartboy

I am very happy that this page finely has some action again! Because of how much of a crush I have on Lea Thompson, I feel a need to buy the DVDs inspite of all of the faults that have been pointed out by other fans. Yesterday afternoon, I was over at a Blockbuster near where I live and I asked if they carried it. The man there told me how, although they keep in stock some recent releases of TV DVDs that was not one of them. Bummer! This coming weekend, I will try to make it to a Barnes and Noble near where my mother lives. They tend to have a pretty big stock of things like this. If they do not have it in, I will try a video store over in Livingston Mall. Even if they do not have it in stock, I am sure that the man there will be able to order it for me. I am really looking forward to this one!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs up

I'm glad that Caroline is getting a DVD release. I look forward to watching the first season because I started watching it during the second season (when it aired on NBC originally).

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
waichingliu81
debbie allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I'm glad that Caroline is getting a DVD release. I look forward to watching the first season because I started watching it during the second season (when it aired on NBC originally).

have you bought it yet, because i am dying to discuss this show with fans such as yourself on this board?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Smartboy

I am glad to see that at least this board is getting some action! Because I do not follow the Olympics, I am not sure when the games end. However, I think that once the hype of that dies down, want of other things to do will cause people to come back to boards like this. Just like the last poster, I am very anxious to discuss this DVD with other fans! However, given the way that my schedule is designed, I will probably not be able to get to a store that carries it until the weekend. However, once I have watched a few episodes, I will come back to the board and discuss them with other posters! Until next time.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
Chocolate Moose

i'm also not following the Olympics
Old 08-31-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
Smartboy

Due to circumstances, I have still not managed to get my hands on this set of DVDs. This is because of a combination of, my sleep disorder, other activities and the proximity from my apartment to a store the has a decent selection of DVDs and other related items. In any event, I would be very interested in reading posts by other people who have already bought and watched these episodes. Even though I have already read some negative things about it, I will almost surely buy the set anyways! It would take a lot more than a few negative reviews to steer me away from anything that involves Lea Thompson! In any event, I figure that the more people who buy this set, the more inclined the company will be to release more seasons. The one that I am really waiting for is season four! In my opinion, the site of Caroline swinging her butt to the beat of "Funky Town" is priceless! Wow!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Chocolate Moose

I got the first DVD and watched most of it already. There are a lot of shows on the first DVD !
Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
Smartboy

Bringing this thread to the top is simply one more attempt to stimulate some conversation about this fine sereis! So far, I have watched the first five episodes on DVD. I think that they are great and I would love to discuss them with other people!