Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Default Anybody Ever Watch "That 80's Show"?

That 80's Show was the unofficial spin-off of That 70's Show. It's unofficial because characters and plots of both shows never related to each other, but it was created by the same producers.

It failed to gain audience attention and only aired for 13 episodes on FOX. I personally watched a couple of episodes of it myself and it didn't interest me.

Did you get to watch it when it aired?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
MPKidder
Frequent Poster

I was born in the mid 70s but I was an 80s child (I LOVED THE 80S!) and I did check out this show when it was on FOX. It was pretty good and I still have two episodes on my TiVo (original airings). I saw most of the episodes. I also obtained the show on DVD (not the best quality but at least I could see them again). Wish a real company would put them on DVD.

"That 80's Show was the unofficial spin-off of That 70's Show. It's unofficial because characters and plots of both shows never related to each other, but it was created by the same producers.

It failed to gain audience attention and only aired for 13 episodes on FOX. I personally watched a couple of episodes of it myself and it didn't interest me.

Did you get to watch it when it aired?
"
Old 07-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

I only watched one episodes of That 80's Show.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
repeatshistory
Forum Regular
Doing my part to make your day

Send a message via Yahoo to repeatshistory

So, I'm the only one that will admit to having seen all 13 episodes? Ah, where are the rest of you that graduated high school between 1981 and 1987?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

Sorry to say that you are the only one that watched this episode.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Never saw it - it was cancelled before I could watch a single episode.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
TJL
Forum Veteran
Suburbanite Extrordinaire

I remember this short lived show.

It wasn't that bad, but the cast wasn't as tight as the kids form That 70's Show.

There was tons of 80's references in those 13 episodes, much like the early episodes of TSS had tons of 70's stuff thrown in. If the show had gone on longer, i think they would have calmed down a bit, a few of the characters pretty much were walking 80's cliches. The dad (played by Geoff Pierson of Unhappily Ever After) wore Miami Vice inspired pastel suits ala Don Johnson.

Comic Margaret Smith was very funny as the record store owner where lead character Corey worked. She looked a bit like Roseanne and had a brilliant Steven Wright-esque deadpan delivery. She stole lots of scenes.

The one thing I really thought was good about the show was the romance between Corey and Tuesday (played by cutie Chyler Leigh sporting a 12 inch mohawk!) who also worked at the record store. At first, they hated each other. She was a tough talking punk rocker and he was an average joe who saw through her tough girl act.

Too bad the show was cancelled before thier relationship took off.

Read my blogs!
http://centralparkamisguide.com/
http://dvdcriticscorner.com
Visit me on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641138880
Hey, I do the tweet thing too!
http://twitter.com/TomLevier
My shop of handmade items!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ColdGarageCreations
Old 07-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
plaidman76
Frequent Poster

I saw a few episodes, and I remember it striking me as a just trying to cash in on the popularity of That 70's show and the whole 80's pop culture explosion. They tried too hard to cram in too many 80's references, and the actual show took a back seat to viewers just seeing stuff and going "remember those?" or "I used to wear that", and the plot got lost. Maybe it would have toned down a bit as it went on, but it's hard to develop characters when the focal point is on their outfits and not their personalities and interaction.

It wasn't horrible, but it really never stood a chance.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

what year did that 80's Show come on
Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
plaidman76
Frequent Poster

Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
Vinni_Rattolle
Occasional Poster

It was too blatantly transparent that "That '80s Show" was trying to cash in on the success of "That '70s Show," and that's why it failed. I liked the show, but it did get bogged down in '80s references (not that "That '70s Show" didn't) and the cast never had the overall chemistry of it's previous-decade counterpart.

And as a side note, I'm convinced that "That '80s Show"'s Tinsley Grimes and "Reaper"'s Jenny Wade are the same person. Not only do the two look alike, but they sound alike... it's too Patty/Cathy to be coincidence.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinni_Rattolle
It was too blatantly transparent that "That '80s Show" was trying to cash in on the success of "That '70s Show," and that's why it failed.

That's exactly the reason why That 80's Show was made.

I think they felt that if it caught on then great but if not then cancel it right away and keep going with That 70's Show.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I remember watching the first couple of episodes. Like so many new series, I didn't know quite what to make of it. I'm an '80s person too to some extent, HS graduation '83 (woo-woo!). Preppies, leg warmers, I remember all of that!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
Chocolate Moose

I saw all episodes; I graduated in 1983.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
browneyes106

I watched it. I didn't think it was that bad of a show.