Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Antenna TV's Bewitched 50th Anniversary in September Hosted by Erin Murphy (Tabitha); Paramount Announces New Comedy for Web
TV Land Orders New Sitcom Starring Jim Gaffigan; FX Laughs It Up on Monday Nights with Sheen, Grammer and Lawrence
Melissa Joan Hart Explains It All On truTV Tonight; Comedy Central Renews Two Series for 3rd Seasons
FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
AlastairSim
Occasional Poster

Default EAST AREA SERIAL RAPIST/KILLER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cold Case Files (CCF) profiled this case tonight, actually it devoted the whole hour episode to it, where as UM's segment was only 20 minutes. Let me tell you, it was scary. I was watching it at 6pm and it was still light out, but every noise in the house made me turn around. And this profile had something UM's didn't... his alleged voice left on a victim's answering machine. That was the most blood chilling part of the whole show. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. He kept saying in this demonic whisper "gonna kill you", "gonna kill you". And being that this case is still unsolved, all through the episode CCF kept showing a ski mask with the eye cut outs glowing. It was so spooky, like a phantom. Well, I guess if you think about it, he is a phantom. It went on to say that through DNA testing he's been linked to over 50 murders and rapes. Its scary to think this guy was never caught, atleast not for these crimes. I love UM and CCF, even though afterwards I freak myself out letting my imagination get the better of me, but I always find a sense of relief at the end when on UM they have an update where they caught the criminal or CCF where 99% of the time it concludes with the conviction of the guilty. But I was left unsettled at the end when CCF said this was still unsolved. The segment on UM was done quite a while back so I thought CCF's story was going to tie this up in their account, which like i said is often the case.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
synthisislab
Forum Regular

Whoa, creepy. This one sounds vaguely familiar. What area of the country is this from?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
crystaldawn

I believe a lot of the attacks were in California. Yes, Alastair I also watched that program a few months back. Absolutely chilling hearing those taped phone calls... Here is a website with a lot of info about the case:

http://www.ear-ons.com/investigate.html
Old 04-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
synthisislab
Forum Regular

Oh yeah, I remember that one now. He was similar to Richard Ramirez, but never made a misstep and never got out of control and always covered his tracks. He must have died long ago, or got locked up for something else and died in prison. How did they determine if it was him that did the killings? If the rapist and killer were the same, then why did he move to So Cal to start killing? It seems like a different MO, attacking couples so he can rape the female in ear shot of the male, then kill them both afterwards. The only similarities seem to be that they both were home invasion rapists and the death victims were dead so they can't tell what the perp looked like (ski mask and such that the rapist wore).
Old 04-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

He was linked to all of the cases through DNA. All of them had the same profile so it was the same guy. This guy acted alone it seems and it also seems like he is probably the most successful serial killer in history because as far as anyone can tell he has never been caught. A few years ago they were able to test the DNA of everyone on Cali's death row and none of them matched the East Area Rapists DNA profile.

I dont think the East Area Rapist actually changed his MO all that much when he went to southern California except for the fact that he had started killing people in addition to "only" raping and terrorizing them and scaring them for life. The reason he went to southern California is anyone's guess.

My personal theory is he was there because he moved there. He was residing in the area, he either moved there for work or perhaps wanted to throw the cops off his trail. Although to be honest the latter I feel is unlikely. The reason is, I think and this is just a personal theory, that the East Area Rapist didnt want to throw the cops off his trail. He liked the attention and the excitement and he liked taunting the cops and his victims. He seemed to enjoy doing all this and it seems with every crime he did and got away with it his arrogance grew that he could basically do whatever he wanted and never get caught.

It is also my opinion and this is easier to say in hindsight, but it is my opinion the cops up in Sacramento bungled this case miserably. This rapist was so bold in fact, he would actually go to the townhall meetings, he is thought to have went to at least one of the townhall meetings about himself.

He even did some of these crimes while having only a bicycle for transporation. He was nearly caught in 1977, but somehow he was able to outrun a sheriff's deputy even though he was only on a bicycle. The East Area Rapist could be dead or perhaps physically disabled but I wouldnt be at all surprised if he moved to a different state and continued killing there as well.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
synthisislab
Forum Regular

So when were the last crimes that were attributed to EAR?
Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
kadrmas15

The last one that was for sure linked to him was a rape/homicide that occured on May 5th, 1986 in Irvine, California.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
synthisislab
Forum Regular

Wasn't this case on UM referred to as the Original Night Stalker? He must have died after 1986 since the guy had gotten so good at what he did, how could he stop unless dead? I doubt he got locked up for some other crime that would have put him away for years. Maybe he moved across the country and switched up his MO a little as to cover his trail.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
kadrmas15

I actually dont think he is dead. I do think it is very possible that he could have moved elsewhere. I tend to doubt he is in prison too because they collect DNA samples from prisoners these days. Maybe he is still active but more careful? The EAR if he can avoid detection as long as he did, he is the type that would keep up to date on all the latest technologies and figure out how to keep up his sick escapades it would be him.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
AlastairSim
Occasional Poster

it astonishes me that ear hasn't had the attention that killers like the zodiac or hillside stranglers etc had. i never even heard of him until i saw that um segment and later saw the episode on Cold Case Files. maybe it was because they didn't know the extent of his crimes until 2001. ear seems more prolific, cunning and bolder than the above mentioned killers. to call your victims years later after the attack and further haunt and terrorize them is beyond sadistic. when listening to the tape recording from the answering machine i could have sworn i heard a female voice in the background at one point, he could have had a tv on I suppose but just as possibly could have been married just like BTK and because he was whispering his wife didn't hear what he was saying, just a theory. i think out of all the crime stories i've watched and all the ones that have gone unsolved, his case seems to be the most sinister and disturbing to me. if society is lucky, he's dead. if not, he's either mellowed out with time or has gone undetected in another location. those 2 victims who escaped by hopping away were so lucky. on a side note, i love robert stack and bill kurtis as narrators. robert stack has that raspy voice that adds to the spookiness of the storytelling and bill kurtis has this grandfatherly way about him. i love his voice inflections and his choices of words to illustrate a story. for instance "april 26, 1992..a lonely stretch of highway engulfed by the nights darkness is pierced with the glow of headlights..." etc. not word for word but an example. it's like listening to a ghost story you hear at camp, your interest immediately perks, well for me anyway. i think he'd be the only one fitting enough to take over hosting duties on a new UM.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
AlastairSim
Occasional Poster

i thought the same thing kardmas. he seems very sly to be caught for another crime. if he's that smart to not be caught for all those murders and rapes then i doubt he's dumb enough to be caught for a lesser or equal crime. i tried to put myself in the mindset of a criminal when thinking about these cases and i also agree with you that with the advancements in forensic science a rapist/killer would be more careful not to leave his biological evidence behind. i really don't believe hes in our nations prison systems because with all the dna databases available to law enforcement they would have picked up a hit by now. hes either in hell/mellowed out/disabled and can't/ or still active but still just flying under the radar.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
kadrmas15

Well, you know, I was watching AMW tonight and they had the so called "NorCal" rapist who has been on the loose for 17 years. I dont think this rapist and the EAR are the same guy but I do think NorCal used the EAR as his mentor. NorCal is still on the lose and he first hit in 1990 and he spends hours at a time with his victims and calls them on the phone after the attack and all sorts of crazy stuff.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
AlastairSim
Occasional Poster

if anyone's interested this is the link to the page where there's an audiofile of his voice on a victim's answering machine. from the site crystal listed above.
http://www.ear-ons.com/investigate7.html
Old 04-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
synthisislab
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
Well, you know, I was watching AMW tonight and they had the so called "NorCal" rapist who has been on the loose for 17 years. I dont think this rapist and the EAR are the same guy but I do think NorCal used the EAR as his mentor. NorCal is still on the lose and he first hit in 1990 and he spends hours at a time with his victims and calls them on the phone after the attack and all sorts of crazy stuff.
You saw that too? I was thinking this guy is emulating EAR wearing masks to try not to be seen by cameras, pulling home invasion rapes in No Cal, calls the victim to further terrorize them, cleaning up evidence, etc.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
AlastairSim
Occasional Poster

wow never heard of him but if they're not the same they're eerily similar. sorry i missed tonight's show. i've always loved true crime shows not only because they're of course fascinating but i think i've become more aware of my surroundings, there are many lessons to be learned thats for sure. i read the posts here often but just as lurker. by the way, anyone know why youtube doesn't have the um cases they used to anymore? they used to have angela hammonds case and many others including ear not released on dvd but can't seem to find them on youtube anymore.