Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Britcoms Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Britcoms
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
Stephen Colbert to Take Over Late Show on CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 14, 2014)
UP TV 2014 Upfront; TV Land Revives Candid Camera

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Default Why was Shirley Stelfox replaced on KUA?

I always wondered why the change in actresses who played Rose. Her Rose was more of a sarcastic, shrill person, while Mary Millar's was more daffy.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

I always liked Mary's Rose much better, as I thought she was far more hilarious and true-to-character than Shirley.

Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book

The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I liked them both, but I wonder why Shirley was replaced. Anyone? Anyone?
Old 04-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Furienna

I believe I read somwhere, that Shirley had to choose between KUA and some other show, and she went with the other show. If they ever did a reunion, I think they should bring back Shirley as Rose though.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Jude The Obscure
Retired

A reunion would be nice, but I don't see Patricia Routledge agreeing to do one. Even though I felt KUA could have went on for a few more episodes, we have at least the ones they did and for the most part, they are all gems.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Furienna

I don't think they'll do a reunion either. But if they ever would do one, I think they should ask Shirley Stellfox to play Rose again.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
rperegrine75
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
I don't think they'll do a reunion either. But if they ever would do one, I think they should ask Shirley Stellfox to play Rose again.

I was just looking at her info on Wikipedia and it said that Mary Miller passed away three years after Keeping Up Appearances ended.

Died 10 November 1998 (aged 62) (ovarian cancer)
Brockley, London, England

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Millar
Old 04-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

I had read that Marry Millar passed away not long after KUA went off the air, which was quite sad. It would be wonderful if they could do a reunion special, or at least a rememberance show, with the surviving actors talking about their experiences doing the show!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
harryfielder
Frequent Poster

And of course Shirley was married to the late Don Henderson..

Aitch,
Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
sabbi
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude86
I liked them both, but I wonder why Shirley was replaced. Anyone? Anyone?

Hi Jude86, i think Shirley left KUA to take part in the soap Emmerdale, she plays a character called Edna Birch in it and she is absolutely tailor made for the part as well. not only that but KUA has long since stopped, whereas Emmerdale is still going strong and it's on 5 nights a week. This soap runs a close second to Coronation street, well, in my opinion anyway. Hope this answers your question.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbi
Hi Jude86, i think Shirley left KUA to take part in the soap Emmerdale, she plays a character called Edna Birch in it and she is absolutely tailor made for the part as well. not only that but KUA has long since stopped, whereas Emmerdale is still going strong and it's on 5 nights a week. This soap runs a close second to Coronation street, well, in my opinion anyway. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks sabbi! Nice to chat with someone from "across the pond"
Old 08-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #12
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

And it was for the better, either way...all due respect, but she just wasn't as good as Mary was. Mary (RIP) really was a tough act to foll...er, precede :-)

But I'm sure she's not a bad actress by any means though...I don't know as I never really watched anything else with her in it. What would you suggest I watch that would put Shirley over for me?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
friendsfan77
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperegrine75
I was just looking at her info on Wikipedia and it said that Mary Miller passed away three years after Keeping Up Appearances ended.

Died 10 November 1998 (aged 62) (ovarian cancer)
Brockley, London, England

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Millar
I just found this out the other day. She was my favorite actress to play Rose.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:37 AM   #14
delly
Occasional Poster

Quote:

i never realised that, i'll have to look out for her instead of looking out for sammy winward
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
SamanthaB
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Hi, I'm pretty sure she didn't leave to take part in Emmerdale as she left KUA in 1990 but didn't start in Emmerdale until 2000 (she even appeared in Coronation Street in 1994). I think the reason she left may have been her commitment to the acclaimed BBC drama Making Out, which she appeared in all 3 seasons 1989-1991. As you can see from IMDB, Making Out was very well received and still remembered well - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096645/