Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Becker links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Becker Photo Gallery

Becker - The First Season

Buy Becker - The First Season on DVD
Becker - The Second Season

Buy Becker - The Second Season on DVD
Becker - The Third Season

Buy Becker - The Third Season on DVD
Becker - The Fourth Season

Buy Becker - The Fourth Season on DVD
Becker - The Fifth Season

Buy Becker - The Fifth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2000s Sitcoms > Becker
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Becker - The First Season DVD Review

Take two aspirin before you see the doctor! Anchored by the hilarious performance of television star Ted Danson (Cheers), Becker arrives on DVD for the very first time! Dr. John Becker, who operates a small medical practice in the Bronx, is annoyed by his patients, co-workers, and practically everything else in the world. But donít let the curmudgeonly demeanor fool you. As his friend Jake (Alex Desert) and beautiful diner owner Reggie (Terry Farrell) would tell you, the rants of the outrageous physician mask a softer side, which he only occasionally displays to his nurse Margaret (Hattie Winston) and wacky office worker Linda (Shawnee Smith).

Read our review by Seth here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/beckers...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
JTC
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the review. I look forward to picking this up.

As for the Romano/Danson/Cosby crossover missing, I will note that the King of Queens Season 1 DVD is also missing the Bill Cosby crossover from the same night. These might have been determined to be only for that night on CBS and that's it. I know KofQ is a Sony DVD but I think it is telling that the Cosby crossover does not appear on that DVD as well.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
nocomments
Frequent Poster

This is too weird, cause on the rear box art preview on TVShowsOnDVD.com, it had the "Some episodes may be edited..." line on there, as noted here:

If the shorter episodes are indeed syndicated cuts, then CBS Paramount has gotta be the laziest damn company I've ever seen. I thought Sony was bad, with their lack of extras and slipping in a few "oopsies" (syndicated cuts) in some of their DVDs (though they haven't done it in a while), but between cheap packaging, lack of extras, music replacement, music-related cuts, and now possibly syndicated cuts...CBS Paramount gets my vote for worst TV-on-DVD company ever!

I was gonna buy Becker season 1, but I think I'll pass. Although, if the episodes are confirmed to be original airings and not syndicated cuts (though still no hope for the Cosby/Romano/James crossover), I may reconsider buying it...
Old 04-01-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
Skywalker
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomments
This is too weird, cause on the rear box art preview on TVShowsOnDVD.com, it had the "Some episodes may be edited..." line on there, as noted here:

If the shorter episodes are indeed syndicated cuts, then CBS Paramount has gotta be the laziest damn company I've ever seen. I thought Sony was bad, with their lack of extras and slipping in a few "oopsies" (syndicated cuts) in some of their DVDs (though they haven't done it in a while), but between cheap packaging, lack of extras, music replacement, music-related cuts, and now possibly syndicated cuts...CBS Paramount gets my vote for worst TV-on-DVD company ever!

I was gonna buy Becker season 1, but I think I'll pass. Although, if the episodes are confirmed to be original airings and not syndicated cuts (though still no hope for the Cosby/Romano/James crossover), I may reconsider buying it...

I wouldn't worry about the shorter episodes being syndication versions. They're probably that short due to music related cuts. Normally when a show goes into syndication, all the episodes have the same exact running times and none of the episodes under 22 minutes have the same running times. And I'm almost positive that the episodes over 22 minutes long aren't syndicated versions either. 22:20 was the normal running time for shows from that era.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
yankeesfan82
Frequent Poster
Marc B

You, come to think of it, I don't think I saw the "CBS Crossover Episode" when the show aired in reruns on WCTX/59 or on TBS.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
JTC
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomments

I just picked this up and my copy has the "some episodes may be edited" line.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

Thanks JTC...it looks like Seth missed it. Are any other scenes missing to your knowledge?
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
JTC
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbadal
Thanks JTC...it looks like Seth missed it. Are any other scenes missing to your knowledge?

I have only watched the Pilot so far and it seemed complete. I watched the show when it aired on CBS but it was 1998 so I really doubt I'll remember if any scenes are missing. The runtimes in the review seem about right for a show from 1998, though.