Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Return of NBC Thursday Night Sitcoms; Everything Sucks at Netflix
The Office Scores on Comedy Central; The Tick Gets 2nd Season on Amazon
Comedy Central Picks Up The Jim Jefferies Show for Second Season; Remembering Donnelly Rhodes from Soap
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: More Cable, Crackle, Paramount Network and More
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Cable Roundup of IFC, AMC, Hallmark, Pop and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: American Dad Gets Two Season Renewal at TBS; New Details About Roseanne Reboot
Fri-Yay: What Does the Future Hold for Fox Sitcoms?; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: TBS and HBO
Hulu Orders 2nd Season of Future Man; Michael J. Fox Heads Back to Politics on TV
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: NBC; grown-ish Premieres Strong on Freeform
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: ABC, Includes ABC 2018 Midseason Schedule; Goldbergs Spin-off Pilot Airs Jan. 24

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default Coming to The Hallmark Channel and WE tv in March 2009; To Leave Lifetime

The Golden Girls is coming to The Hallmark Channel and WE tv in March 2009. The show will leave Lifetime Television at the end of February 2009 after a 12-year run that started on March 1, 1997.

Read more on our blog story:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...v-acquire.html
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!

Last edited by Pavan : 03-26-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

leaving Lifetime? total end of an era

As much as I love GG (it's in my top 3 sitcoms of all time), I wish Hallmark would acquire something a tad less played. I have all seven seasons on DVD already
Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
friendsfan77
-

I love GG too but I don't know if it'd be such a good fit on that channel. Would it kill some of these networks to pick up a few shows that haven't had as much exposure?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Jude The Obscure
Retired

That's all what these networks seem to do.....for instance, anything you see today on TBS will be on Nick/TV Land in the next few years.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Hallmark is going for a sitcom line-up, so this is a key addition for them. Here is the press release. More will follow on the blog today on how this will impact Hallmark.

Hallmark Channel Acquires Classic Hit Series 'The Golden Girls' From Disney-ABC Domestic Television

NEW YORK, March 26 -- Hallmark Channel has acquired the rights to one of the most popular baby boomer series, "The Golden Girls," from Disney-ABC Domestic Television. The deal was announced today by Michelle Vicary, Senior Vice President, Acquisitions and Scheduling.

"The Golden Girls has been on our wish list for a long time, so we're delighted to reach this agreement," said Vicary. "This is the perfect complement to our schedule of family-friendly programming. It will appeal not only to our current viewers, but to fans that will follow the program
to Hallmark Channel. It will also appeal to our sponsors and our distribution partners."

"The Golden Girls," starring Beatrice Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan and Estelle Getty, is centered around a Miami-based quartet of live-in friends, proving that life can begin at 50. It follows the highs and lows, dates and disasters of the oversexed Blanche (McClanahan); the ever so-slightly-dotty Rose (White); the dry, cynical Dorothy (Arthur); and her scheming Sicilian mother Sophia (Getty).

"The Golden Girls" aired for seven seasons from September 14, 1985, to May 9, 1992 and won several awards, including the Emmy(R) Award for
Outstanding Comedy Series twice. All four stars won at least one Emmy Award throughout the series' entire run. During its original run, "The Golden Girls" garnered 65 Emmy nominations, 11 Emmy awards, four Golden Globe Awards, and countless honors.

"The Golden Girls" was produced by ABC Studios (formerly known as Touchstone Television) and is distributed by Disney-ABC Domestic Television.

Hallmark Channel is known for its original movies and events, including the recent highly-rated movie "The Good Witch," starring Catherine Bell,
and popular acquisitions including "Walker, Texas Ranger," "Little House on the Prairie," "M*A*S*H" and "Murder, She Wrote."
Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

This is great news that The Gold Girl's are moving to The Hallmark Channel and WE TV but I know one thing it Hard to belive that The Gold Girl's has been on Lifetime for 12 Year's Now Time Sure does Fly when you are having Fun watching The Golden Girl's can someone please let me know what Channel WE TV is on DirecTV Line Up I know Hallmark is on 301 but I am not sure about WE TV.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
megamanj2004

I wished it stayed around Lifetime for one more year so tat hopefully Lifetime would get Empty Nest an/or Nurses and air them alongside TGG.

Well sometimes some things have to change.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

I wonder if The Golden Palace will be a part of The Hallmark Channel and The WE TV Deal
Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Read more on our blog story:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...v-acquire.html
Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
ilovethe80s

This seems sort of amazing I mean it ran on Lifetime for I don't know how long it seems like a very long time. I hope it does well on Hallmark and WE i will probably watch it on both if it comes on at good times. I like the idea of Hallmark airing more sitcoms I hope they air more sitcoms from the 80's and 90's. I wonder what will replace them on Lifetime. I just looked at the blog it said 12 years that is a very long time.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
catsrule
Forum Veteran
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Madderest

This is terrible news. The Golden Girls doesn't belong on a family channel. Hallmark has a great lineup now with the 7th Heaven double dose, Touched by an Angel, and M*A*S*H. Plus they have I Love Lucy and Cheers coming. Now they have to wreck it by adding this lousy show. I hope it doesn't cut down on 7th Heaven airings.
another thing, that's not a good sign that Frasier wasn't mentioned by Lifetime with their other comedies. It's 1000 times better than Still Standing and Will & Grace.
FRASIER: As usual Frasier has to save the day.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
noveel
Forum Regular

Hallmark isn't really a family channel, it's an old (in the TV programing business) people channel. Nothing on Hallmark appeals to kids or really anyone under 25
Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
This is terrible news. The Golden Girls doesn't belong on a family channel. Hallmark has a great lineup now with the 7th Heaven double dose, Touched by an Angel, and M*A*S*H. Plus they have I Love Lucy and Cheers coming. Now they have to wreck it by adding this lousy show. I hope it doesn't cut down on 7th Heaven airings.
another thing, that's not a good sign that Frasier wasn't mentioned by Lifetime with their other comedies. It's 1000 times better than Still Standing and Will & Grace.
ummm, you know you're on a Golden Girls board, right? I agree that content-wise, GG seems a little questionable for Hallmark, but to call this a lousy show while saccharine kiddie crap like 7th Heaven is a good show in the same breath? How old are you? Golden Girls won countless Emmy's and is regarded as one of the greatest sitcoms of the 1980's, 7th Heaven was never considered cool outside of soccer mom crowds. Golden Girls in it's weakest season ****s over 7th Heaven and you'll find a lot of people who agree with it. 7th is generally regarded as a kiddie show while Golden Girls is regarded as a classic that continues to attract new fans every go-round Lifetime has of it's episodes. I just told one of my friends there's a GG/7th thing going on and he started laughing because he knows there's no competition between the two shows. It's like bashing Lucy in favor of Hannah Montana or something.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
friendsfan77
-

^ AMEN!

Today I would honestly eat my left shoe instead of watch 7th Heaven. GG can't be that bad to many others for the ratings and critical success it was on NBC and for the fact that it ran for TWELVE years in repeats on a channel.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
catsrule
Forum Veteran
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester
ummm, you know you're on a Golden Girls board, right? How old are you? 7th is generally regarded as a kiddie show
I know I'm on a Golden Girls board. This is where the link was posted on the article to discuss. 7th Heaven is NOT just a "kiddie" show. It is TV's longest running family drama, and I would imagine it's popular among Christians of all ages. 7th Heaven was also the WB's highest rated show in its existence, and it was older skewing, which means kids aren't the only ones watching it. And I'm 23. I realize many consider The Golden Girls to be a classic, but I think it's a lousy show and I'll take 7th Heaven (not just for kids ) over The Golden Girls any day.