Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Father Knows Best links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Father Knows Best Photo Gallery

Father Knows Best - Season One

Buy Father Knows Best - Season One on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Two

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Two on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Three

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Three on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Four

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Four on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Five

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Five on DVD
Father Knows Best - Season Six

Buy Father Knows Best - Season Six on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Father Knows Best
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Father Knows Best - Season One DVD Review

Robert Young is the father, and, at least as far as this classic TV series is concerned, he knows best. And this DVD set brings the entire first season, all 26 episodes of this classic series, together on a four disc DVD set!

The series goes back to the days where sitcoms were pretty simple, particularly family sitcoms. There weren’t any unusual angles to series back in these days, instead sitcoms were just down to earth shows about “average” American family (in other words, the one that we all wish we had but know we don’t have). We got to see and hear stories about these “average” families on a weekly basis and their “average” problems. It made for great television back then, and makes for even better television now, as we look back on these shows and see what things were like back in the day where everything was so innocent...or at least innocent as far as Hollywood wanted us to know it as.

Read our review by Skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/fatherk...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
TeeVeeCloset

First let me say I haven't even looked at the much anticipated father knows best dvd release yet, I'm saving it for the weekend, but I read the rather harsh review and this is nothing personal, everyone is entitled to their opinions, that's what reviews and critics are all about but in shouts defense, I would like to bring up some valid points regarding the series and its release finally to dvd that the reviewer might not have known about...I have been a very serious collector of the series for years.......many of the master film elements to the series, especially the first season were cut and destroyed years ago.....FKB was treated horribily when it entered a very early syndicated marketplace.....openings were destroyed and replaced, thats' why you hear the kids giggiling while walking through the door because the audio was replaced from when they were sitting on the stairs laughing! The Thanksgiving episode is a miracle, it was completely withdrawn from the syndication package because the master had audio problems during the first few minutes, so they relied on private collectors to help out with their own film collections. That's also why one episode is duplicated because they located a better longer version from a private collector.....I think Shout really tried here, but there is an old saying in the video industry...which I have worked in for the past 28 years, s*it in, s*it out.....not to say the package is s*it, I just really believe they were really against the odds here and sincerely did the best they could, perhaps their only fault is not putting some type of disclaimer on the box briefly explaining the original element situation......I just hope they continue with the series and horrible negative reviews from the start certainly won't help....this series is about to be lost forever and that would be a terrible shame.......Shout has abandon recent series lately and I hate them to go the way of sony.....That Girl, '69 Bill Cosby, we must try and support them, they really did try!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
stevea

I am also a serious collector. I do not blame Shout, but they do not answer emails volunteering help.

I too was disappointed with so many syndication print versions (the TVL re-edits were a little better--but TVL or whomever MUST have been re-editing from a somewhat more complete version!). The original with the Kent opener was great to see, but the print has side-to-side jitter. Ep. 2 has audio problems, evidently on all available versions. Also, its correct end credits must be lost forever (as must be the house painter ep. from season 2).

I was kind of hoping all the network version films were sitting in an archive somewhere, waiting to be used. Alas!

This series has been hacked up muiltitudinous times! It's a wonder they can put together anything. For anyone who's seen a film in network version, including correct opener, and Robert Young 'tease' (for the next episode), the originals are a real joy to see. You are there (bakc in the 50's, with your All detergent, Scott towels, and Kent cigarettes. So that's why the Shout! pachage is a disappointment.

It gives me hope to see the recut Playhouse episode with what is obviously a rescued season 5 opener (with correct audio, and copyright date). So they are trying. I just wish the "FKB community" could help them!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

One of the best things in the season one set is the first episode of Window On Main Street. It is the entire episode taken from film, it even has the original commercials which are always cool to see.

Window On Main Street was a classy show, each episode was a new chapter and told a different story. The episodes had a rather slow pace, and this was not your typical domestic/family type of show. It was different, most folks who tuned in to it probably found it dull or didn't exactly know what to make of it. This type of show might have had a chance ten years earlier, even as long ago as the early 60's people were wanting TV shows with a little more substance.

I don't know how many episodes of Window On Main Street were made, I know it lasted for just the one season 1961-62. If all the episodes exist, especially if they are uncut with original commercials, they should put this series out on DVD. I imagine most FKB/Robert Young fans would buy it, I know I would buy it.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
bluthree
Forum Regular

I have never watched this show before but I'm thinking about buying season 1? I just not to long ago bought the DVD Fun With Ozzie and Harriet and I realy enjoyed watching the episodes. I even got a kick out of the old 50's commercials. Well now after watching that I want more 1950 sitcoms. And I was looking on the internet and seeing what 50's shows are out and I scene The Father Knows Best listed on Amazon. Never scene the show before.So I went on You Tube and watched some clips from the show. And it looked realy good. Well I'm off to the mall today.So I may just buy this set today.Yeah I read alot of negative reviews about this set. Well that sucks. But I'll probably buy it anyways. I also see that My Three Sons is coming out on DVD this month and I think I will buy that set as well. Love watching the classic shows.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

Father Knows Best is a little overly sentimental at times, but it's better than most of the stuff that's on TV today. I didn't buy the 1st season DVD, mainly because half of the episodes are edited versions. But as fate would have it, I ended up getting the DVD's as a gift, so now I have them anyway.

I really enjoyed the bonus feature- first episode of Window On Main Street. I would like to see the complete series issued on DVD. This is a good show which deserves to be discovered again after nearly 50 years. I will likely get season two of FKB when it comes out because it will contain the 2nd episode of Window On Main Street as a bonus.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

It's tempting to get this as its great 50s nostalgia, but I'm starting to get too cluttered with stuff so I'm going to check out the S#1 FKB ep guide first.

Glad vintage shows like this are resurfacing...wish someone would put out Patty Duke or Room 222 though & esp. more Adv. of O & H which are at the top of my wish list.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
honeybea
Forum Regular

I got season 1 ond was disappointed that the episodes were edited. I see season 2 won't be edited, so I may get this one also, but I already have a lot of the episodes. I really enjoyed the bonus features one the first season.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
bluthree
Forum Regular

Well I finaly bought The Father Knows Best set today. I bought it at a Sam's Club. Sam's only wanted $18.77 for it-Nice! I do understand the episodes are edited but I have never watched the show before so its not like I'm going to know whats missing in eatch episode. Yeah I never watched the show before,but I'm sure I'm going to like it. I do like shows like Leave it Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet.So if I like those 2 shows I'm sure I will like this one as well.