Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Mork & Mindy Online / Mork & Mindy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Mork & Mindy Photo Gallery

Mork & Mindy - The Complete First Season

Buy Mork & Mindy - The Complete First Season on DVD
Mork & Mindy - The Second Season

Buy Mork & Mindy - The Second Season on DVD
Mork & Mindy - The Third Season

Buy Mork & Mindy - The Third Season on DVD
Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season

Buy Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season on DVD
Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

Buy Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Mork & Mindy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Mork & Mindy - The Third Season DVD Review

Mork & Mindy was a spin-off from an episode of Happy Days in which Mork, an alien from the planet Ork, attempted to kidnap Richie. Mork was so popular that he was given his own series which became an instant hit!

Mork (Robin Williams) was sent to study Earthlings, landing in an eggshell near Boulder, Colorado. He was soon befriended by pretty Mindy McConnell (Pam Dawber), a music store clerk, who helped him adjust to Earth's "strange" ways.

The cosmic comedy continues in this four-disc, third season collection. As always, Mindy attempts to live a normal life - but there's never a dull moment with Mork around as he keeps us laughing with his naive and wacky view of the world. His adventures include protecting Grandma Cora from muggers, racing a champion roller skater, coming face to face with the real Robin Williams and helping Mindy become an Orkan! Shazbot!

Read my review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/morkand...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thanks for the info, TJ.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
30bleemsago
Occasional Poster

Hi, I'm new here so I hope this goes to the right place. I'm enjoying the Season 3 DVDs (thank you, CBS/Paramount!) but so far I did notice two edits on the episode "Alas, Poor Mork...". Originally, Mork does the "Jaws" theme with the plunger; on the DVD that part is cut out. And in the restaurant, Mork and Exidor sing "BoJangles", which is gone. Hopefully that's all that's gone. Those two edits would justify the editing warning on the package. But I loved the "Way We Were" scene in "Putting the Ork Back in Mork". That song must be owned by Paramount.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Cool

^ Welcome to the board!!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
30bleemsago
Occasional Poster

The big test will be Season 4 with Mork's marriage proposal. He sings 3 songs: "All I Need Is The Girl" (a Frank Sinatra tune), "This Guy's In Love" (Herb Alpert) and "I Want To Be Happy" (from "Tea For Two"). It's a wonderful scene. I hope it remains intact.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Chocolate Moose

All four cds are coming via Blockbuster, even as we speak! I have strted the first one, with the 2-parter, already.

and i'm liking it !!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
30bleemsago
Occasional Poster

The episode "Rick and Ruby" was about two singers, so it might have had music problems. So I checked it out and it seems complete. Rick and Ruby sing Ike and Tina Turner's "River Deep - Mountain High" (reportedly Phil Spector considers that his best song); the band does some of the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar"; and Mork sings the country music parody song "This Heart Is Closed For Alterations" (for more on that, see Jaydon's post for 10/29/05 on this board). So the episode has the same music as the syndicated version. It's hard to replace music when people are singing, you've gotta cut the whole scene.
And when Mork listens to the radio in "Mindy, Mindy, Mindy" it's the same music as the syndicated ep. So it seems that CBS/Paramount are doing their best to keep these as original as possible (reportedly "Happy Days" Season 3 kept a lot more music than expected). Hopefully that means Mork's marriage proposal in Season 4 has a good shot.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Chocolate Moose

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but my high hopes for Season 3 were dashed as I watched the DVDs…..the new people and the day care center and the restaurant add nothing to the show…and it seems as though Robin Williams has already tired of playing Mork…..
Old 12-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
30bleemsago
Occasional Poster

Here's my opinion of the season. I agree there's a lot of weak links in the show: the cutesy kids, the bland friends, Mindy's job. I'm not a big fan of the kinda "average" shows; I like the classic ensembles: "Soap", "Taxi", "Barney Miller", "Cheers", etc. where ALL the characters pull their own weight. "Mork and Mindy" never had that. It seems like the people who made it saw it as a one man show. Or maybe they were forced to look at it that way because of the popularity of Robin Williams.
Given that, I always thought Pam Dawber was way underrated. It's the two of them that keep me coming back. Even when the scripts aren't firing on all cylinders they always manage to bring a certain interplay that's engaging. Given the bad reputation of the later seasons it's surprising how good they are together throughout the whole run. She definitely deserves her name right alongside his above the title.
After the first season Williams seemed to try too hard to be funny (I guess the result of his problems dealing with fame, which has been chronicled). The first season his humor seemed more natural. Also Exidor kinda wore out his welcome by now. He got stuck in a rut. He reminded me of Rev. Jim (Christopher Lloyd) on "Taxi", which ran pretty much concurrent with M & M. But they were able to keep Jim's character fresh while Exidor gets stagnant.
That's the weakest part of this show, the supporting characters. And that's the fault of the writers/creators. The actors are fine, they need the words. I guess the exception would be Conrad Janis as Mindy's father. He always seemed to have a purpose for being around and was given some terrific lines. So it was good to have him back as a regular this season, though his wife Cathy ("Coach"'s Shelley Fabares) was another thankless character.
As for the season itself, a mixed bag but with some goodies in it. I always found it a nice change of pace when the show went sci-fi. It was a natural outlet for the concept and I thought they did well with that aspect. I guess that's why I like the 4rth season more than most do (and J0onathan Winters rocked, especially after the "cute kids" this season). The eps "Putting the Ork Back In Mork", "Mindy, Mindy, Mindy", "New Mork In Town" and "Family Reunion" were the sci-fi eps this season and some of my favorites.
As I said, I like the two title characters interacting so the eps that spotlight their relationship are usually my favorites. This season those included: "Mork the Prankster", "Alas, Poor Mork", "Mindy and Mork" and the wonderful final moments of the season in "Reflections and Regrets".
"Reflections and Regrets" is an interesting episode. It was the last episode for most of the supporting characters and the last for the main director of the show, Howard Storm (who moved on to "Taxi"). It gives the other characters a chance to shine and everyone just seems to give a better performance. It almost comes across as a final episode. A good one to end the season on and if the series hadn't continued I think it would've been a satisfying ending.
I also like the episodes that give Robin unique opportunities. This season those were "Mork's New Look", "Old Muggable Mork" and the famous "Mork Meets Robin Williams". These eps let him play other characters through makeup or technical tricks. "Muggable" returns him to the old age makeup like one of the very best episodes, Season One's "Old Fears" (and years before "Mrs. Doubtfire").
Then there's the episodes that aren't the best but have something interesting going on. In "Monkey's Uncle" they get to interact with a chimp. In "Dueling Skates" they go on location for a change of pace. This one was directed by Garry Marshall, at the time a sitcom titan and now a noted movie director ("Pretty Woman", "Beaches", "The Princess Diaries"). "Rick and Ruby" is a rare musical episode (with the music saved!).
Every show has it's clunkers. This season, curiously, these seem to take place at their jobs. Work is usually a fertile place for sitcoms; some sitcoms are built around the workplace. But this season there's Mork's day care center (Aaah! Cute kids! Where's W. C. Fields when you need him?) - - - though I enjoyed the Corey Feldman episode "Morkay Corral". And then there's Mindy's TV station. The workings of this station are so lax that it doesn't seem believable. Mindy can just do her thing and screw up and there's no safety procedure. Added to that is her drunken boss Mr. Sternhagen (Foster Brooks). Brooks was famous for this routine but jokes about parking in the hedge just seem tasteless today (besides, Dudley Moore did it better in "Arthur"). So "Mindy Gets Her Job", "Morkvine" and the other station stuff didn't work for me. Other clunkers to me were "12 Angry Appliances", "Swinging Singles" and maybe "Never Never Land" (though it had it's moments and is a curiousity now that Robin played Peter Pan in "Hook").
So there's a lot to like and some not to like with this season. I'm glad it's on DVD and I hope we get Season Four which, good or bad, I though was the most interesting season. Sitcom riffing.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Dusty's Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30bleemsago
...I always thought Pam Dawber was way underrated.

She was terrific in this series, just perfect. She brought so many good qualities to the episodes.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Nelson_Flavor
Frequent Poster
Pardon, where's the restroom?

I've enjoyed Season 3 very much. I remember watching Mork and Mindy many bleams ago, I enjoyed it then and am enjoying it now.

I can hardly wait for Season 4 to be released. Season 4 Ep 1 is my favorite M&M episode of all time. This may be very pathetic of me (at least to admit), but I just about have that entire ep memorized.

What can you do? When you're a fan, you're a fan