Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy
The CW Bulks Up for Next Summer; FX Brings Back Mr Inbetween for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Character Actor Dick Wilson (AKA Mr. Whipple) Dies at 91

Link

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 19, Long-time Charmin bath tissue pitchman Dick Wilson -- known to millions as Mr. Whipple -- died Monday at the Motion Picture & Television Hospital in Woodland Hills, CA. He was 91.

Wilson's career spanned nearly 70 years with roles in radio, television, film and theater. In his most famous role, Wilson portrayed grocer Mr. Whipple and made "Please don't squeeze the Charmin" a household phrase. Wilson appeared as Mr. Whipple in more than 500 spots for Charmin from 1964 through 1985. After a 14-year hiatus, Wilson reprised the role in 1999 to introduce a new version of Charmin. In 2001, Procter & Gamble, maker of Charmin, presented Wilson with a lifetime achievement award to commemorate his contribution to the brand.

"It is not an exaggeration to say that the Mr. Whipple character, which Dick Wilson portrayed for so many years, is one of the most recognizable faces in the history of American advertising," said Dennis Legault, Charmin brand manager. "Dick deserves much of the credit for Charmin's success. He helped define Charmin with consumers, reinforcing the product's softness with the 'Please Don't Squeeze the Charmin' slogan. He is a part of the Charmin family, and he will be missed."

Wilson's first job in the entertainment industry was as an announcer and disc jockey in Canada at the age of 15. Since then he appeared in more than 300 television shows, numerous motion pictures and a number of stage productions.

Wilson graduated from the Ontario College of Art in Toronto, with a major in sculpture. He used his artistic capabilities to design scenery for a dancing school. Instead of a paycheck, he took his compensation in lessons and became a comedic acrobatic dancer, which he pursued in Vaudeville for nearly 20 years.

During his many years in show business, Wilson played everything from circus to burlesque to British comedies. At one point in his radio career, Wilson was appearing on 17 separate shows each week as a host, an announcer, performing character voices and sound effects.

In 1932, Wilson performed in his first movie. Among his numerous motion picture credits are "World's Greatest Athlete," "Strongest Man in the World," "Shakiest Gun in the West," "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken," "One Man's Way," "Planet of the Apes," "The Star," "John Goldfarb Please Come Home" and "What a Way to Go." In the theater, Wilson performed in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown," "Dial M for Murder," "Never Too Late" and "On the Town," to name a few.

Wilson's television credits include Captain Gruber on "Hogan's Heroes," Assistant Mayor Dino Boroni on "McHale's Navy," a recurring character on "Bewitched," and other roles in "Perry Mason," "The Hero," "That Girl," "Don Rickles Show," "The Rifleman," "The Rockford Files," "Arrest & Trial," "Petticoat Junction," "Maude," "The Partridge Family" and many more.

The makers of Charmin bath tissue will make a contribution to the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Wilson's name in honor of his love of the arts, culture and performance.

Wilson is survived by his wife Meg, three children and three grandchildren -- all located in the Los Angeles area.

Last edited by Zoneboy; 11-19-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Zoneboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I loved his appearances on Bewitched as the drunk. He also did a funny guest spot on the Bob Newhart Show. He will be missed!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

I used to like him on "McHales Navy" and those Charmin commercials. Like the above poster said; he'll be missed!

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Mikado
Main st bridge
Forum Celebrity

Another Canadian icon is gone! ps, the new Charmin ads with that family of bears who s**t in the woods MAKE ME SICK!! They shouldnt have replaced Mr Whipple!
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

He will be deeply missed. The Drunk was so good on Bewitched! He knew Sam was a witch!

See our tribute: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...ike-alice.html
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Perfect Strangers fans will remember his Daughter, Melanie who played Jennifer in several episodes of the series.
He was a wonderful actor and will be missed.

Zoneboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
TURBOCSX
Arnold Ziffel
Frequent Poster

I will be watching Hogan's Heroes tonight in honor of him. I never made the connection that Capt. Gruber was Mr. Whipple until I read the obit this morning. I wonder, Is it safe to squeeze the charmin now?
TURBOCSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Mikado
Main st bridge
Forum Celebrity

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOCSX
I wonder, Is it safe to squeeze the charmin now?
Not really.......Now you have to fight off a whole family of grizzly bears, if you want to squeeze the Charmin!
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
stevejay
Occasional Poster

When I work out in the morning I watch one of my many old TV shows on DVD. This morning I was watching Get Smart and Dick Wilson was in the episode. He played Mr. Spiegel, a jeweler. I was thinking when watching him, we haven't heard anything about him in a long time. About 6 hours later, I found out he passed away. What a great talent. I remember him in so many episodes of my favorite shows and of course Charmin. We still use Charmin!! Great memories...he will be missed by all.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado
Not really.......Now you have to fight off a whole family of grizzly bears, if you want to squeeze the Charmin!
Ewwwwwwwwwww...
Old 11-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
BensonFan
Board Psychologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I loved his appearances on Bewitched as the drunk.
He was a very convincing drunk, and I believe he mentioned that he wasn't a drinker in real life.

RIP
BensonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensonFan
He was a very convincing drunk, and I believe he mentioned that he wasn't a drinker in real life.

RIP
I read that Hal Smith (Otis Campbell on the Andy Griffith Show) didn't drink in real life as well. Funny that they could play drunk so convincingly!!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:57 AM   #13
stoogedog
Forum Regular

Default remembering Mr. Whipple

Hi, In 1987 I went to the Memphis Film Festival and Dick Wilson along with several other actors were there. I meet him and talked with him. I also got his autograph and had pictures made with him. He was a very nice and friendly man. I've always wanted to go back to the Memphis Film Festival. Maybe I can go again one day. I really enjoyed it and meeting Mr. Whipple. I miss character actors like him from older shows. Thanks Stoogedog
stoogedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #14
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Very sad. Some of my first memories are sitting in front of the tv playing with my toys and seeing Mr. Whipple come on. He sure was an icon. R.I.P. Mr. Wilson, you now have a cloud to squeeze.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

RTN honored the late Dick Wilson with a retromercial today. You can see it on our blog:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...-rtn-adds.html
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote