Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Wings links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Wings Photo Gallery

Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)

Buy Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek) on DVD
Wings - The Complete Third Season

Buy Wings - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Wings - The Fourth Season

Buy Wings - The Fourth Season on DVD
Wings - The Fifth Season

Buy Wings - The Fifth Season on DVD
Wings - The Sixth Season

Buy Wings - The Sixth Season on DVD
Wings - The Seventh Season

Buy Wings - The Seventh Season on DVD
Wings - The Final (Eighth) Season

Buy Wings - The Final (Eighth) Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Wings
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-05-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Wings - The Fifth Season DVD Review

Wings has flied its way back on DVD with Season 5 from CBS DVD! In the hilarious Season 5 of Wings, the crew of Sandpiper Air and their friends and family at Tom Nevers Field return for more laughs, more romance, more rivalry, and more surprises. Watch out below, because love is flying high. Millionaire David Lynch steals Helenís (Crystal Bernard) heart; Lowell (Thomas Haden church) gets together with and divorces Bunny the same day; Joe (Tim Daly) dates a 19-year-old; an old flame returns to woo Fay (Rebecca Schull); and Brian (Steven Weber) and Alexís (Farrah Forke) relationship gets even rockier. Finally, in the shocking season finale, the romance between Joe and Helen re-ignites! This four-disc set of all 24 season five episodes includes every outrageous twist, oddball character, and wild adventure that made Wings one of the most beloved sitcoms in TV history.

Well, Iím not sure about most beloved in TV history -- I mean if NBC returned Wings to its schedule tomorrow (ignoring the potential writerís strike for a moment) I doubt most folks would notice its absence that much. People knew it was on, but it was never a marquee show like Cosby Show, Cheers, Frasier, or Friends. However, it is a great show, and after an improved 4th season DVD release, let us have hopes that things have improved here.

Read our review by Seth here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/wingsseason5dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about the set.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #2
Chelsea
Semi-retired

Warning: I was excruciatingly hard on the set for much of the review, before mellowing out near the end. The final scores are the most accurate representation of the quality of the set.
Former Seth, 1986-2015
For questions, comments, troubleshooting, or forum help, please PM TJ.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Kristen

Send a message via ICQ to Kristen Send a message via AIM to Kristen Send a message via MSN to Kristen Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen

I was afraid there might be editing. But it doesn't look like it's TOO bad, with the exception of "Joe Blows" part 1. I guess I can live with that. At least it's coming out.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Carrie
Dreamin' of Jeannie

Thanks for the info on the set. Mine shipped from Amazon on Sunday, so I should be getting it tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm looking forward to checking out all of the episodes, even if they aren't in the best of quality. Too bad they don't put any extras with these sets. It would be really nice to see some behind the scenes features.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Kristen

Send a message via ICQ to Kristen Send a message via AIM to Kristen Send a message via MSN to Kristen Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen

Mine shipped tonight. I can't wait to get it!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
McFly121
Forum Regular

The funny thing is that USA and Nick did not air the same sydie episodes. There's usually an 'A' or a 'B' version to choose from that have different moments cut. So between the five years on USA and the four on and off years from Nick, I could probably spot what moments are cut . "Hey! Where's that joke about (fill in the blank)!"
Old 11-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

I don't know if this counts, but on my USA tape of the episode "Joe Blows, Part 1" after the episode says "To Be Continued" they then show a "Next Time on Wings." It shows clips from the next episode. That could be about a minute. Hopfeully that was the only thing edited out from that episode. Because I noticed it wasn't on the DVD.

As for the Christmas episode, that's the only episode from the first five seasons that I don't have on tape from USA or Nick @ Nite, so I can't check to see what's missing from that one.

All in all, though everything seems to be in tact. The Ray Charles scene I was worried about is there. I thought maybe they'd edit the scene where Lowell plays the Entertainment Tonight theme song on the piano. But that scene was there. I can't notice anything missing. So I'm happy with the set.

And do you realize... only three more season sets to buy! We're over halfway home.

(1) Andy Richter Controls the Universe (2) Boy Meets World (3) Cheers (4) Community (5) Ellen (6) Grounded for Life (7) Hey Dude (8)The Honeymooners (9) I Love Lucy (10) The King of Queens (11) Married Ö with Children (12) Mister Ed (13) The Munsters (14) Ned and Stacey (15) Newhart (16) NewsRadio (17) Night Court (18) Norm (19) The Office (20) Parks & Recreation (21) Rhoda (22) Spin City (23) Taxi (24) That Ď70s Show (25) Wings
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
Kristen

Thanks for letting me know the set is intact. I was a little worried when I saw the rear cover. I've only ever seen N@N/TV Land versions, so I would have nothing to compare it to.

- Kristen
Old 11-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
Carrie
Dreamin' of Jeannie

I got my set yesterday. I'm only on disc 2, but the picture quality and sound have both been excellent. I'm not sure about the edits. I will have to check out my tapes.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
Brian Hackett
Frequent Poster

Adam,

Thanks for letting us know everything was there. I was really worried they were going to cut things out from the original shows. I am glad they didn't too much, now I don't have to watch my VHS's and do the comparison.

I am hoping Season 6 comes out in February 2008, that is how it seems to be going with Wings sets. Season 6 is my favorite season.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
Carrie
Dreamin' of Jeannie

Well, I just finished watching my set and it was awesome, especially the last episode. I didn't notice any edits, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Kristen

I got mine today!!! I already watched "Stop in the Name of Love." I love how they've re-done the menus, and the video quality looks great to me. Now I just can't wait till S6 comes out.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
Brian Hackett
Frequent Poster

I watched the Happy Holidays episode tonight from Season 5 and I have to admit I am really disappointed in the quality of the video. It is has a really "grainy" look to it in the night scenes as well as when they pan out for the real shots of Nantucket. I am happy the DVD is out but I wish they would have done a better job on this. I kept my VHS version because of this.