Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default NOSTALGIA

This thread is for things in your past, or a story about your past , something that brings a tear to the eye, or just a distant memory. It can be an old ad, old movie or an old car, or maybe something totally BEFORE your time like a Model-T Ford, w/e brings to mind the word.......Nostalgia!!!

The pic is the Magic Palace at the old Crystal Beach Park (about 45 mins from here).....there's condos there now
Attached Images
 
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default This is what inspired me to make this thread!

When I was young, maybe 7 years old, i remember going to my first flea market and seeing what was to me a wonder! A stereoscope!!!! From that day on, I wanted one SO much, but, lets face it, back in 1968, $10 for a stereoscope and 50 cards seemed like a fortune to me! Well, last fall i decided to finally fulfill that childhood dream, only, now it cost me $90 for the viewer and $5-20 EACH for the cards!!!! Oh well, it may take me some years to get a large collection of the cards (I have about a dozen now), but, at least its a start!
Attached Images
 
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
tv star collector
Senior Member
I Love Susie
 
tv star collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 18, 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,288
Default

My parents bought me a portable reel-to-reel tape recorder (it ran on a
transistor battery) back in the sixties. I still have it, but it doesn't work
anymore. I still have the reel-to-reel tapes (wonder if they would still play
if I could find a small reel-to-reel tape recorder anywhere?). It was my first
tape recorder (long before audio cassettes were invented).
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
theshark8777
Moderator
Hats for Bats
 
theshark8777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 23, 2001
Location: northeast Ohio.
Posts: 5,259
Default

Cedar Fair just closed Geauga Lake, an amusement park close to here, that I have been going to since I was a kid. It will be sad next year not to go.
__________________
Who ate all the pecan Sandies??
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv star collector
My parents bought me a portable reel-to-reel tape recorder (it ran on a
transistor battery) back in the sixties. I still have it, but it doesn't work
anymore. I still have the reel-to-reel tapes (wonder if they would still play
if I could find a small reel-to-reel tape recorder anywhere?). It was my first
tape recorder (long before audio cassettes were invented).
Chances are the tapes have decomposed or demagnetised by now, but, you might look for a professional service that specialises in sound recording that might help you out...its worth a shot. I got a cassette recorder when i was 12, but, after 35 years, my oldest cassettes are barely audible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark8777
Cedar Fair just closed Geauga Lake, an amusement park close to here, that I have been going to since I was a kid. It will be sad next year not to go.
I know how you feel Sharkey, going to Crystal Beach park (top of the page), was a yearly treat every summer from my young childhood until my early teens....it closed in the 80s.....I was one of the last people to walk on its grounds as a security guard, when it was being demolished. (I took some of the VERY last pics ever taken of the park!) < I'm going to look through my albums and add one or two of them
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default CRYSTAL BEACH, THE LAST DAYS

I took these pics at sunrise about 6 am, one morning after working the night shift on security (After i smuggled in my camera). Crystal Beach as I knew it had been mainly built in the 1940s (Though there had been some amusements there since the late 1800s ) and was an Art-Deco wonderland in wood, sheet tin and paper mache. By the early 1980s the park was in dire straights and, eventually closed just around its 100th anniversary! You'll notice demolition had begun on the "Laff in the dark" ride, when i returned that night for my next shift, it was just a pile of rubble! The building on the bottom pic is the old ballroom where acts like Glenn Miller had once played; later it was a skating rink.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by Mikado : 10-25-2007 at 05:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default Never used Crystal Beach Free Pass

I was given this pass, but, never used it
Attached Images
 
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
tv star collector
Senior Member
I Love Susie
 
tv star collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 18, 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado
Chances are the tapes have decomposed or demagnetised by now, but, you might look for a professional service that specialises in sound recording that might help you out...its worth a shot. I got a cassette recorder when i was 12, but, after 35 years, my oldest cassettes are barely audible.

I still have my first audio cassette (from January 1974). It's the final episode
of ROOM 222, which I recorded off the TV set (with a microphone). It
doesn't sound great (never did) but is still listenable. That's nearly 34 years
ago (but still about 12 years newer than my reel-to-reel tapes). And I have
a 78 rpm phonograph record that my mother had made of her and me when
I was a toddler, which must be at least 55 years ago--and it still plays.
But then vinyl is much more permanent than magnetic tape, of course.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
Ireneparalegal
Forum Celebrity
LEGAL SPICE ;)
 
Ireneparalegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 25, 2005
Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE
Posts: 38,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado
This thread is for things in your past, or a story about your past , something that brings a tear to the eye, or just a distant memory. It can be an old ad, old movie or an old car, or maybe something totally BEFORE your time like a Model-T Ford, w/e brings to mind the word.......Nostalgia!!!

The pic is the Magic Palace at the old Crystal Beach Park (about 45 mins from here).....there's condos there now
I get the feeling they were trying to make that place look or feel like Disneyland.
__________________
DALLAS COWBOYS ARE HERE AT TRAINING CAMP!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Ireneparalegal
Forum Celebrity
LEGAL SPICE ;)
 
Ireneparalegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 25, 2005
Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE
Posts: 38,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv star collector
I still have my first audio cassette (from January 1974). It's the final episode
of ROOM 222, which I recorded off the TV set (with a microphone). It
doesn't sound great (never did) but is still listenable. That's nearly 34 years
ago (but still about 12 years newer than my reel-to-reel tapes). And I have
a 78 rpm phonograph record that my mother had made of her and me when
I was a toddler, which must be at least 55 years ago--and it still plays.
But then vinyl is much more permanent than magnetic tape, of course.
OMG I used to do that too. I had a tape recorder and I used to record audio of my fave shows, like Happy Days. I would play the episode over and over again. It was fun. I used to imagine what it would be like to actually record a show and WATCH IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Sounds like my dreams came true.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
I get the feeling they were trying to make that place look or feel like Disneyland.
More likely the other way round (CB came first)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
OMG I used to do that too. I had a tape recorder and I used to record audio of my fave shows, like Happy Days. I would play the episode over and over again. It was fun. I used to imagine what it would be like to actually record a show and WATCH IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Sounds like my dreams came true.
I used to do it too, with Gilligans Island...I'd fill in any dead spots by describing any action "Gilligan walks to the hut, walks up to the Skipper" "Hey Skipper...." (Like a described video DVD for the seeing impaired) then id listen to the show after dark when i was supposed to be asleep!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #14
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan
 
treky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 25, 2002
Location: Conshohocken, pennsylvania
Posts: 12,541
Default

I also used to record shows off of the TV; back in the 70s; on a cassete recorder that I had at the time. I remember I used to record HAPPY DAYS, MASH, THAT'S MY MAMA, reruns of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, THE JACK BENNY SHOW and DUSTYS TRAIL. Even episodes of THE TONIGHT SHOW....the ENTIRE 90 MINUTES!!! (back then it was 90 minutes long)
In fact, I have one recording of that where you can hear my brother yelling at me to turn the TV down, because he was in bed at the time.
__________________
the Clampetts are in a fancy Beverly Hills jewelry store.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 AM   #15
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,727
Default

And all this time I thought I wasthe only one who put old TV shows on audio tape ...of course, once we got a VCR, that habit ended forever
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.