Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Dream of Jeannie links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Dream of Jeannie Photo Gallery

I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2008 Release) on DVD / Buy I Dream of Jeannie...Fifteen Years Later (TV Movie) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > I Dream of Jeannie
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season DVD Review

Jeannie has popped out of her bottle once again to bring you 26 more episodes of I Dream of Jeannie! The fourth season of I Dream of Jeannie brings us one season closer to the end of the supernatural series of the 60s about the astronaut that finds a genie in a bottle that doesn’t always rub him the right way!

Read our review by Skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/idreamo...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

Judging by the inconsistent running times of the episodes, it appears Sony is up to their usual tricks and deleting small segments from selected episodes. That's really too bad, a classic show like this deserves better treatment. And I also hear they continue to use the same flawed opening title sequence, if you listen close it skips a note in the middle of the song. It's really a shame. The plastic cases that store the DVD's aren't the greatest of quality either, the DVD's barely fit over the posts in the cases and it gives the impression the discs could easily pop loose.

Last edited by Lee G : 09-28-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
CAJeannieFan57
Forum Regular

You're the second one whom I've read that says they cut things. Well, I don't know about you, but probably the last time I saw the full uncut version of I Dream of Jeannie was when I was about 12 years old and it was still in prime time. When I was 12, I wasn't in the habit of memorizing scripts. Then they went into syndication.

I do have to wonder, though, if it's just possible that the full uncut version does not even exist in the vaults any more, for some episodes. Maybe the syndicated versions are all that's left? If that's what we've gotten in the DVD's, aren't we glad to have them at all, especially if the full versions have become unusable, gone, or missing?

I've watched 25 out of the 26 episodes on season 4's set since its release. They seem to all come in at 24 minutes long. Frankly, I still have TV Land's version from 2003-2004 on VHS. Those are LUCKY to come in at 21 minutes. So on every episode, I've seen scenes and heard lines that I know I haven't heard in a long while....if ever.

Be glad we have them at all, and that the prices are reasonable. I haven't noticed the DVD cases being a problem at all. But there are shows that have started to be released and then the owning company pulled the rest of the seasons from release (TBNS stopped after season 4 of 6), or waited years between season releases (Happy Days comes to mind there, btwn s1 and s2).

I'm personally happy with the set.
An I Dream of Jeannie Fan Website
Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

These DVD's are better than nothing, but it's a travesty that Sony seems intent on putting some cut episodes on the DVD. I'm sure they could do all the episodes uncut if they wanted to. It's the same problem with Gomer Pyle, USMC. Some of those episodes are cut also on the DVD.

The shortest episode on the season four DVD is My Vanishing Master Part 2. Watching this episode on the DVD, it's hard to tell where they made the cuts because they do a sharp editing job. Unless you're an expert on the episodes and can tell where scenes are deleted, it's hard to detect. The running time for season four episodes is approx. 24:40, there are about a half dozen episodes on the DVD that run shorter than that and those are the ones with edits.

In My Vanishing Master, listen to the way Tony Nelson's double talks. Larry Hagman was obviously trying to mimic Don Adams/Maxwell Smart.

Last edited by Lee G : 10-01-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Definitely!

Since "Rodney Pomfret" {Tony Nelson's double** was supposed to be a "secret agent" in "The Case Of My Vanishing Master", Larry thought it might be fun to have him sound like another famous TV "secret agent" (guess who?).

Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
Jack77
Forum Regular

Lee G, I know the Season 3 DVD had some problems, but I would like you to point out exactly what scenes you think have been eidted or cut out on the Season 4 DVD. It could just be that some original episodes came in shorter than others and NBC added more commercial time when it originally aired. If you or anyone else can let us know exactly which episodes have been edited that would be helpful! Thank you.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
TV_on_the_Porch
Forum Regular
anything good on?

Seems like a (missing) recap from part 1 would easily account for the shorter running time of part 2.

Just speculating, I don't have the set.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

I agree with CAJeannieFan57's reply. I think it's a super set.

We are sooo close to having the complete series now.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack77
Lee G, I know the Season 3 DVD had some problems, but I would like you to point out exactly what scenes you think have been eidted or cut out on the Season 4 DVD. It could just be that some original episodes came in shorter than others and NBC added more commercial time when it originally aired. If you or anyone else can let us know exactly which episodes have been edited that would be helpful! Thank you.

It is possible that some episodes just run a little short, but I tend to believe Sony has done some sneaky editing work on some of these episodes. I know for a fact there is a small edit in Meet My Masters Mother and also in The Mod Party. I think the Bootsie Nightingale episode is edited also. On the season four DVD's, most of the episodes seem uncut and run about 24:40. But there are six episodes that are only 24 minutes and another is only 23:40. So those seven episodes are the ones open to question. I'm not an expert on the episodes, perhaps someone can verify if there are cuts/edits in any of the season four episodes.

When the complete series DVD comes out, I will be curious to know if the episode content is exactly the same as they were on the single season sets, or with the blink of Jeannie's eyes will the episodes suddenly be magically complete and unedited?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
CAJeannieFan57
Forum Regular

According to the company, they will be a reissue of the exact same disks that were sold separately. No changes. There's a whole thread on the subject of the complete five-season set, separate from this one.