Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Reboot Casts David and Darlene's Daughter; The CW Developing New Series Based Upon Sabrina Character
Fri-Yay: The Good Place's Season Premiere; FXX to Air All Season One Episodes of The Mick on September 23
Hulu Gets Will & Grace Fever; New Netflix Comedy Has Girl Power
Rules of Engagement Coming to Logo; Younger Season 4 Sets Series Best
Pop Picks Up 2nd Season of Hollywood Darlings; South Park Still Strong in Season 21
69th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners; Mom Also Heads to CMT
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 18, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
09/01 - Angie - The Complete Collection
09/05 - Just Shoot Me! - The Complete Series
09/05 - Kevin Can Wait - Season One
09/06 - Better Things - The Complete First Season
09/06 - You're the Worst - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/12 - Coach - The Complete Series
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Third Season
09/12 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Fourth Season
09/12 - People of Earth - The Complete First Season
09/12 - Veep - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
09/19 - Living Single - The Complete Second Season
09/19 - Modern Family - The Complete Eighth Season
09/26 - Ned and Stacey - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Solomon's Weekly Rant: Summer Sucks on TV Land and Nick at Nite - July 28, 2007 Disc.

Please read: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...rom-crypt.html

And then discuss here...
Old 07-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
JulieSomoski
Watch Medium, Fridays on CBS!

I thought it was a good rant, but a bit repetitive the entire time. You already told us about bad original programming in the first rant about TV Land you did, and you already told us about how badly the NAN programming is, so I just thought this was just telling us about it a new sense.

Still, your right on the ball about everything. TVLand is really not giving us what we want to see, and NAN is giving us double of what we want to see.

Watch:

Medium, Fridays at 9pm, on CBS!
Big Bang Theory, Mondays at 9:30pm, on CBS!
The Mentalist, Thursdays at 10pm, on CBS!
Old Christine, Wednesdays at 8pm, on CBS!
ABC's Comedy Lineup, Starting Wednesdays at 8:30pm, on ABC!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
AliasPhoenix
First Time Poster

I've been reading for the past few weeks, and I've had a few problems with each "rant" that I've read. The biggest problem for me this week, though, is Solomon's comment on Sherman Hemsley/George Jefferson. As most of us who've watched more than a few episodes of The Jeffersons realize, George started his dry cleaning business before he became relatively wealthy, and he actually had to do the cleaning early on (as hinted at/seen in some of the flashback episodes of the series). Therefore, Sherman Hemsley actually working in a dry cleaners is not nearly the stretch that Solomon seems to believe.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseanne88-97
I thought it was a good rant, but a bit repetitive the entire time. You already told us about bad original programming in the first rant about TV Land you did, and you already told us about how badly the NAN programming is, so I just thought this was just telling us about it a new sense.

Still, your right on the ball about everything. TVLand is really not giving us what we want to see, and NAN is giving us double of what we want to see.

This week's Rant was about the repeat marathon on N@N, the previous rant was about N@N's editing and the long week of the same show. I had no idea the the 4 hours of the marathon is repeated after 1am. Far as TV land, this week rant was about Back to the Grind, last week was about TV land Confidential. But I will probably wait until September to rant about N@N or TV land again because here is really nothing else to rant about at this point of the summer.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Cactus Jack
Forum Idol
RonFingSwanson

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack

Awesome

Id Love to help you Tracy, but I cant have sex with a black guy, Id lose my endorsement deal with NASCAR-Jenna Maroney,30 Rock

April 17,2009 9:02 PM : 100,000th post!

[/b]
Old 07-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasPhoenix
I've been reading for the past few weeks, and I've had a few problems with each "rant" that I've read. The biggest problem for me this week, though, is Solomon's comment on Sherman Hemsley/George Jefferson. As most of us who've watched more than a few episodes of The Jeffersons realize, George started his dry cleaning business before he became relatively wealthy, and he actually had to do the cleaning early on (as hinted at/seen in some of the flashback episodes of the series). Therefore, Sherman Hemsley actually working in a dry cleaners is not nearly the stretch that Solomon seems to believe.

Yeah But I still think the fact that he was the boss on the show there was no need for him to be on Back to the Grind. His main job while on the Jeffersons was maintaining seven cleaner stores not actually working in them. He was kind of like Mr. Drummond on Diffrent Strokes, he was the boss and was just mainly seen coming home and going to work. Now in Marla Gibbs case it made sense because we saw her character working on the Jeffersons unlike Sherman Hemsley's character
Old 07-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
JulieSomoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyzer
This week's Rant was about the repeat marathon on N@N, the previous rant was about N@N's editing and the long week of the same show. I had no idea the the 4 hours of the marathon is repeated after 1am. Far as TV land, this week rant was about Back to the Grind, last week was about TV land Confidential. But I will probably wait until September to rant about N@N or TV land again because here is really nothing else to rant about at this point of the summer.

I just thought that this was very similar to the other 2 you already did on NAN and TV Land. I understand that almost every one here has something to complain about both networks, but I htought there were many other rants you could have done. In my opinion, I liked Back to the Grind, because there's not really anything else like it on television, and I happened to like seeing Sherman Helmsley and Marla Gibbs play their character's roles. But, that's just my opinion. Overall, good rant!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
I just thought that this was very similar to the other 2 you already did on NAN and TV Land. I understand that almost every one here has something to complain about both networks, but I htought there were many other rants you could have done. In my opinion, I liked Back to the Grind, because there's not really anything else like it on television, and I happened to like seeing Sherman Helmsley and Marla Gibbs play their character's roles. But, that's just my opinion. Overall, good rant!

Ok I just doubled checked, 7/14/07 N@N rant did mention a marathon so I could have left that out. I was ranting about the same show everynight not how it's a Repeathon. And TV Land's rant on 7/21/07 was about TV Land confidential and I hinted in the rant that the next Rant would be about Back to the Grind since I hadn't watched it yet. So I went back to check because the last thing I want to be is repetitive-lol
Old 07-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
JulieSomoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyzer
Ok I just doubled checked, 7/14/07 N@N rant did mention a marathon so I could have left that out. I was ranting about the same show everynight not how it's a Repeathon. And TV Land's rant on 7/21/07 was about TV Land confidential and I hinted in the rant that the next Rant would be about Back to the Grind since I hadn't watched it yet. So I went back to check because the last thing I want to be is repetitive-lol

Do you choose the rants you get to do?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Do you choose the rants you get to do?

Yes, I try and choose a rant connected to CableTV, Network TV, and DVD's every week
Old 07-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
stevejay
Occasional Poster

It's probably time to turn off TV Land which is what most are doing. Ratings are down and TV Land execs cannot figure out how to save the network. You will know when the ratings are up...when they drop the Off-the-Clock Scheduling, and this is not going to end anytime soon. Running these shows...Confidential, Back to the Grind, etc. are ways to save money. They stated this when they first started these types of shows. It doesn't mean anyone is going to watch them but TV Land is saving money. Maybe if they get rid of the high paid execs who are killing the network, they could save money.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
DSfan

maybe next week you could talk a bit about how its annoying for cable channels (ones that arent only for sports) having baseball games jumping into the programming. TBS always ruins my primetime of Friends or Seinfeld or whatever they wanna put on for 3 hrs lol. When its raining and i wanna watch some tv i hate when im like o ya that show is on now then there is baseball. maybe not what you want to discuss but just something i think most of us hate. By the way, in no way am I against baseball or baseball or sports channels just on channels like TBS and WGN which are supposed to be airing other shows.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Ireneparalegal
Forum Celebrity
LEGAL SPICE ;)

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Back to the grind would be better if they focused on one celebrity for the full half-hour, rather than two celebs squeezed in 22 mins.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
Back to the grind would be better if they focused on one celebrity for the full half-hour, rather than two celebs squeezed in 22 mins.

Did you see that idiot who was driving sherman around, and all of a sudden started singing the Jeffersons Theme song?-lol I would have been like-"Why the hell are you singing that old sh*T?-lol
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #15
JulieSomoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSfan
maybe next week you could talk a bit about how its annoying for cable channels (ones that arent only for sports) having baseball games jumping into the programming. TBS always ruins my primetime of Friends or Seinfeld or whatever they wanna put on for 3 hrs lol. When its raining and i wanna watch some tv i hate when im like o ya that show is on now then there is baseball. maybe not what you want to discuss but just something i think most of us hate. By the way, in no way am I against baseball or baseball or sports channels just on channels like TBS and WGN which are supposed to be airing other shows.

ABC Family used to show the baseball games, but they had nothing else to air in primetime, but then they sold the rights to air them to TBS, and that always bothered me too.

And, you could really tell that whole cabi driver singing the theme song thing was so acted, because I doubt a New York City taxi driver would never do that, no matter how much of an idiot he was.