Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Character Actor Charles Lane Dies at 102

SANTA MONICA, California: Charles Lane, the prolific character actor whose bespectacled face and crotchety persona made him instantly recognizable to generations of movie-goers, has died, his son said Tuesday. He was 102.

The actor's son, Tom Lane, said he was talking with his father Monday evening. "He was lying in bed with his eyes real wide open," the younger Lane said. "Then he closed his eyes and stopped breathing."

Lane, whose career spanned more than 60 years, appeared in such film classics as "It's a Wonderful Life," "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" and "Twentieth Century."

He also had a recurring role as the scheming railroad man, Homer Bedloe, on the 1960s TV sitcom "Petticoat Junction" and appeared often on television's "I Love Lucy."

His crisp, stage-trained voice and no-nonsense appearance made him a natural for playing authority figures. He was a judge in "God is My Partner," a prosecutor in "Call Northside 777," a priest in "Date With an Angel" and a member of Clark Gable's newspaper editorial board in "Teacher's Pet."

In 1934, Frank Capra, then on his rise to fame, cast Lane in a horse racing film, "Broadway Bill." Capra liked the actor's work so much he included him in nine more movies, including "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "You Can't Take It with You."

In Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life," he was a rent collector who shocks his boss, the evil Lionel Barrymore character, by telling him that hero James Stewart's character is a good businessman.

One of Lane's most cherished possessions was a letter from the fabled director declaring, "Well, Charlie, you've been my No. 1 crutch."

Lane continued to act into his 90s, and when he accepted an award from cable television's TV Land channel in honor of his 100th birthday, he made a point of saying he was still available for work.

In the 1931 film "Manhattan Parade," shown last month on Turner Classic Movies, Lane could be glimpsed in one of the opening scenes, playing a desk clerk waiting on a customer. The brief, uncredited bit was one of his first film appearances.

He was especially fond of his role in the "I Love Lucy" episode in which Lucy Ricardo gave birth to her son, Little Ricky. Papa Ricky (Ball's real-life husband, Desi Arnaz) was all nerves while Lane, as a fellow expectant father, was the picture of calm.

"This old guy was expecting his 10th child or something, and this nervous young man was expecting his first," Lane recalled in 2005. "It was a marvelous scene, and Desi was a fine actor."

A widower with a son and daughter, Lane had no formula for his longevity, although he noted his mother lived to be nearly 100.

He was a lifelong teetotaler. But his son noted that his father smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 70 years, quitting only when he became short of breath.

"I know that smoking kills people, and I must be the exception," Lane said then.

Tom Lane said Tuesday there would be no funeral for his father.

Last edited by Zoneboy; 07-10-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Mikado
Main st bridge
Forum Celebrity

Wow, we were all just talking about him 2 weeks ago ...Farewell, thy nobel thespian, you shall be missed! ( bows )
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Oh my...I am so glad that I wrote to him just in time and got his autograph. What a sweet man, and a terrific character actor. I think I will buy a Hotchkiss dishy washy (Bewitched fans will understand the reference) in his honor. Mr. Lane, and thank you...

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Ver sad. He was a great actor....appearing in a lot of tv shows in the 1960's especially. R.I.P. Mr. Lane.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
airhead
Frequent Poster

Sorry to hear that. I'll miss you Charles.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

He was a wonderful actor, he played the grouchy skinflint character to perfection.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Tweety

What a pro!

I'm not sure there was ever a time that I knew him by name, but he was so recognizable when you saw him... a totally unique actor, one of a kind.

RIP, Mr. Lane. And thanks for a lot of jobs well done
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
BensonFan
Board Psychologist

God Bless him for living so long. He will be remembered and missed.

P.S. No funeral though? Seems strange (unless it was his wish).
BensonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Charles Lane Next US TV Airings:
Wed. July 11 6:00 PM TVLAND Little House on the Prairie Welcome to Olesonville #9.3
Fri. July 13 2:00 AM TVLAND I Love Lucy Lucy Goes to the Hospital #2.16
Fri. July 13 11:30 AM TVLAND I Love Lucy Lucy Goes to the Hospital #2.16
Mon. July 16 6:00 AM AMC Johnny Apollo
Mon. July 16 11:30 AM TVLAND I Love Lucy The Business Manager #4.1
Tue. July 17 1:00 AM SCIFI The Twilight Zone Mr. Bevis #1.33

Plot summary for
The Night Before Christmas (2006)

GAB Entertainment is proud to announce completion of an all-new holiday short featuring veteran character actor Charles Lane ("It's A Wonderful Life") in his first performance of the 21st century. The eight-minute film Directed by George Ridjaneck features the artwork of Will Moses (great grandson of Grandma Moses) and an original score by Noa Lazarus. This special holiday treat was Produced by Garret A. Boyajian and Associate Produced by Jeff MacIntyre.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
TV DVD Fan

Whenever I put in one of my classic TV show DVDs and see Charles Lane on the screen, my face just lights up (I've seen him in ILL, PJ, THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, THE LUCY SHOW, GOMER PYLE, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, I believe THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW just off the top of my head... and the list goes on and on and on. A prolific actor who's magic was never fully recognized by Hollywood (I wish he could've had a few starring roles throughout his fifty-years-plus career). Rest in peace Mr. Lane, you are a fine actor and a kind soul, and may God bless you.

Sarah Connor: Maybe if you spend your life hiding who you are, you might finally end up fooling yourself.

- From the episode "Gnothi Seauton."
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #11
stevejay
Occasional Poster

I was just talking about him to my 13 year old son. He was the greatest. I was always a huge fan of his. What a great life...102 years old. He deserved it. I and every TV fan out there will miss him dearly.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
Already Gone

R.I.P. Mr. Lane.

First time, I saw him on TV was a rerun of Soap. He played Judge Anthony Petrillo. He presided over the Peter Campbell Murder trial.

He was also on an episode of Family. He played Doug's father in the "Thursday's Child" episode.
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
GoldenGirlsFan92

R.I.P. Charles Lane.
GoldenGirlsFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
Ohio8
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV DVD Fan
Whenever I put in one of my classic TV show DVDs and see Charles Lane on the screen, my face just lights up (I've seen him in ILL, PJ, THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, THE LUCY SHOW, GOMER PYLE, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, I believe THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW just off the top of my head... and the list goes on and on and on. A prolific actor who's magic was never fully recognized by Hollywood (I wish he could've had a few starring roles throughout his fifty-years-plus career). Rest in peace Mr. Lane, you are a fine actor and a kind soul, and may God bless you.
He played Jane's landlord on The Beverly Hillbillies.
Attached Images

Ohio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #15
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Breeze
R.I.P. Mr. Lane.

First time, I saw him on TV was a rerun of Soap. He played Judge Anthony Petrillo. He presided over the Peter Campbell Murder trial.

He was also on an episode of Family. He played Doug's father in the "Thursday's Child" episode.
The episode of Family he guested on was from the first season, entitled "Thursday's Child Has Far To Go". That was when Elayne Heilveil was playing Nancy. Good episode, by the way.
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote