Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Hulu Picks Up Comedy from Jason Reitman; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 3, 2014)
Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Day Marathon, Plus More Classics; MeTV Pays Tribute to Marcia Strassman Tonight
CBS Fall Pilot Review: The McCarthys - Premieres Thursday, Oct. 30; TBS Orders Comedy Pilot from Daily Show Producers
TV Land's Frightfully Funny Roseanne Halloween Marathon; CBS Picks Up Full Seasons of All New Dramas
ABC Cancels Manhattan Love Story; Remembering Marcia Strassman of Welcome Back, Kotter
Week 5 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: First Cancellation of the New Season; CSI Season Cut Short; New Mill Creek DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Kane

Default James Donald King is seeking a new trial

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs...05/NEWSREC0101

James Donald King is calling for a new trial, arguing in part that his lawyers provided ineffective assistance during the penalty phase of his 1998 trial. He also argues that the FBI provided faulty forensic evidence. In 1998, he was convicted and sentenced to death for the 1988 murder of his second wife, Gloria Underwood King.

Gloria's murder took place five years after James Donald King was paroled after serving time for the 1967 murder of his first wife, Shirley King. He had served a total of six and a half years in prison for that crime. That was because he escaped in 1971, and was re-captured in 1980. Then, he was paroled in 1983.

James Donald King was profiled on both UM and America's Most Wanted, and the article that I came across (which is at the link above) briefly mentions that fact. He was captured in 1997.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
wiseguy182
Kristopher and Roxann

Here's another guy that doesn't deserve to see the light of day.

I actually had a dream not too long ago that he was living next door to me, and I turned him in. this would also fit under a thread crystaldawn started that asked 'have you ever dreamed about UM?' And the fact that I had this dream would probably fit under the thread "you know you're a UM fan if..."
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
crystaldawn

What a total scumbag...he should have been executed long ago.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well if there were problems with the case, the guy deserves a fair and impartial look and deserves a new trial if there were problems, regardless if he is a scumbag or not. Sounds like he is in poor health and will probably die before he is executed anyway.

In terms of execution, North Carolina has had problems with the death penalty which should be done away with, it eventually it will be. In terms of due process, everyone is entitled to it, especially on death row unless they choose to voluntarily end their appeals. However the guy has apperantly killed twice, so even if he gets a new trial, he will probably be convicted again.

If there were technical problems in his first trial in terms of bad lawyers, etc, the man deserves a new trial. 99 percent chance he would be convicted again. If an FBI expert lied, if that can be proven, a new trial is deserved, that is how our criminal justice system works in this country, everyone deserves a fair and impartial trial, scumbag or not. This point will not be popular but I am used to it.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
sdb4884
Forum Regular

Still alive according to this

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/...nderID=0226428
Old 11-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
sdb4884
Forum Regular

Disappointing that this guy is still alive after all he has done.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
mphs95
Forum Regular
Remember me?

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
Well if there were problems with the case, the guy deserves a fair and impartial look and deserves a new trial if there were problems, regardless if he is a scumbag or not. Sounds like he is in poor health and will probably die before he is executed anyway.

In terms of execution, North Carolina has had problems with the death penalty which should be done away with, it eventually it will be. In terms of due process, everyone is entitled to it, especially on death row unless they choose to voluntarily end their appeals. However the guy has apperantly killed twice, so even if he gets a new trial, he will probably be convicted again.

If there were technical problems in his first trial in terms of bad lawyers, etc, the man deserves a new trial. 99 percent chance he would be convicted again. If an FBI expert lied, if that can be proven, a new trial is deserved, that is how our criminal justice system works in this country, everyone deserves a fair and impartial trial, scumbag or not. This point will not be popular but I am used to it.

I agree w/ you Kadrmas. Our opinion is not a popular, but at least we belong to a group that respects our views. Everyone needs a fair trial, even the scumbags of the US bc if we start to pick and choose, our system breaks down. What is god forbid it's us on trial? When I bring up that point, most either stammer or shut up.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
sdb4884
Forum Regular

Did any of you get spooked when you saw his picture in that link a couple of posts ago? I sure did
Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
kadrmas15

Hey, nice to see you agree with me Mphs! Well, like I said, King would almost certainly be convicted again if he received a new trial. Executions have been halted in North Carolina now for over two years. The last execution there was in August of 2006. Executions have been halted due to botched executions, innocent people being executed and problems with the lethal injection procedure in North Carolina. King is a scumbag, he killed once, escaped, was on the run for 9 years, was paroled just 3 years after he was re-captured and had served a grand total of 7 years of a life sentence. Than he kills again and goes on the run for 10 years. King is in poor health and as I have said before, chances are more likely he will pass away from natural causes before he is executed.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
mattc
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
Hey, nice to see you agree with me Mphs! Well, like I said, King would almost certainly be convicted again if he received a new trial. Executions have been halted in North Carolina now for over two years. The last execution there was in August of 2006. Executions have been halted due to botched executions, innocent people being executed and problems with the lethal injection procedure in North Carolina. King is a scumbag, he killed once, escaped, was on the run for 9 years, was paroled just 3 years after he was re-captured and had served a grand total of 7 years of a life sentence. Than he kills again and goes on the run for 10 years. King is in poor health and as I have said before, chances are more likely he will pass away from natural causes before he is executed.

I fully agree that all people deserve a fair trial, but this man clearly and convincingly killed three women, and he does NOT need to continue wasting tax dollars. I am sorry, but as much as I am against the death penalty, this is the LAST case that deserves to be reconsidered. In fact, King somehow got incredible luck when it came to the legal system: Paroled, escaped from prison, sentenced to six years for murder, and then killed again. Why in the hell would anyone argue that he deserves another trial???? In fact, I think that the treatment of King should prompt the NC legal system to reconsider their parole system entirely. Two women's lives could have been saved were it not for that stupid board. I am very surprised that UM posters would argue that he deserves another trial! Let's not forget that "new" trials only confirm what we already know (in this case) and cause the families to relive the horror and terror that he created for them. The fact that there is any time spent arguing this is mind boggling. I tend not to be argumentative on this forum, because I highly respect it, but this is absurd.

What, so let's give him a new trial, bring up the wounds of the family members, give King further publicity and a podium to speak, only so that he can be sentenced again (as you say he most def. will be)????? I don't pay income tax for this, I'm sorry.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc
In fact, I think that the treatment of King should prompt the NC legal system to reconsider their parole system entirely. Two women's lives could have been saved were it not for that stupid board.

I remember that one of King's former friends, who was interview on the show, said he believed the parole board was the main culprit in the death of King's second wife. Another interviewee acknowledged that he unsuccessfully tried to talk the parole board out of granting King parole because he knew that six and a half years in prison for first-degree murder wasn't enough.

Because the parole occurred back in 1983, this was obviously under the sentencing guidelines at the time. I would hope that North Carolina has since made changes to its parole system, so that paroling someone like King would be less likely to happen today.

By the way, this is old news, but James Donald King's request for a new trial was denied last year.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...nvicted_killer
Old 09-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
kadrmas15

Okay Matt, I will have to set you straight because you either misunderstood or took out of context what I was saying. First off, I was not saying King should automatically get a new trial nor was I rooting for him to get a new trial. I did say if the court system determined that he should get a new trial, I would not oppose it. For the courts to reverse this case, I would think there would have to be substantial legal issues. However do I want King to get a new trial? No. But if he was given one again would I be all put out? No. It is because court systems, despite what the general public tends to believe, in fact rarely overturns verdicts.

Basically all I was arguing was that IF there were legal problems, he deserved a new trial. I did not say that he should automatically get a new trial just for the sake of getting a new trial nor did I say I wanted him to get a new trial. However we do have an appeals process much to the dismay of many, we do have a system of laws, it is not perfect but it is all we got. So that is why I support the appeals system, is King innocent? No. I think everyone acknowledges that. However, the appeals system is based more on appellate issues from a legal standpoint and not from a guilt/innocence standpoint.

King was not sentenced to 6 years in prison. He was given a life sentence for the first murder. King actually pled guilty to the first degree murder of his first wife to avoid a death sentence, although I doubt he would have been executed anyway even if he had got death as the death sentences across the country were wiped out in 1972. Yes King did get incredibly lucky for some reason. Escaping from prison in 1971 and being on the run for 9 years and then getting re-captured only to be paroled two and a half years later. That was a mistake on the North Carolina Parole Board's part and if this case had happened today, I think the escape itself would have basically made it impossible to get him paroled or at least would have prevented his parole for a long time no matter how well he was behaved. But yes I am sure the North Carolina Parole Board was reformed dramatically after the whole King fiasco. But again, King was sentenced to life in prison but at that time you became eligible for parole after serving 5 or 6 years. So basically King got paroled on his first try which even back then was unusual for a life sentence inmate to get paroled on the first try.

Well Matt, all I will say is, your tax dollars go towards lots of stuff you do not like. So why pick out this one issue? Your tax dollars go towards running corrupt prosecutors office, paying corrupt prosecutors salaries, paying for inmates incarceration in addition to their appeals. Your tax dollars also go towards paying for their execution. It never ceases to amaze me how people on the one hand complain about their tax dollars but then on the other hand are all too eager to support cops and prosecutors who are supposed to do justice for ALL but in the end bungle cases and get tunnel vision. Mike Nifong anyone?

Basically, this is not meant to be personally mean against you. I get what you are trying to say but I think you misunderstood in some ways what I actually meant. I was just basically arguing that you cannot pick and choose who gets appeals and who does not. That is what I was arguing. No one was arguing that they wanted King to get a new trial. I was merely saying if there were legal issues and a court found them to be true than he is legally owed a new trial.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #13
mattc
Forum Regular

Kardarmas: I appreciated your reply. I did not mean to misunderstand what you said, and I def. didn't read you to mean that you were rooting for King to get a new trial. I am also a lawyer (I think you are based on your previous posts, but forgive me if I'm wrong). I understand the notion of the appeals process, and I agree that over-zealous prosecutors and cops bungle cases all the time. I had just watched the segment, and I am from Greensboro NC, where he killed the three women. I took an emotional stance in my posting, and I do apologize.

I recognize the need for trials to be fair and appeals processes to be exhausted. It just bothers me that the appeals process is often abused, for a variety of reasons (delaying tactic, etc), all of which I'm sure you're aware. More than anything, I worried that if King had gotten a new trial, he would have been given a platform to speak (something I'm sure a sociopath craves), and it makes victim's families relive the nightmare all over again.

I also agree that our tax dollars go to many things we don't agree with. I guess this whole case just pisses me off, because the parole board really screwed this one up (reminds me of Kenneth Duff), in that this two-time murderer should never have been given parole after a couple of years.

I was glad to find out that King's appeal was denied, and I absolutely realize that convictions are rarely overturned.

Thanks for your post, and I didn't take it personally... That's what this is all about: Good discussion.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:25 AM   #14
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb4884
Did any of you get spooked when you saw his picture in that link a couple of posts ago? I sure did

Most of the photos of JDK chill me to the bone. The first one shown looks like a man who would kill you and not think twice about it. The last one--the close-up where he's wearing a blue shirt--scares the hell out of me for some reason. I always look away.

Go Vols!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Mastermind

Quote:
Most of the photos of JDK chill me to the bone. The first one shown looks like a man who would kill you and not think twice about it. The last one--the close-up where he's wearing a blue shirt--scares the hell out of me for some reason. I always look away.

The funny thing about JDK is that he started as such a well studied and descent kid. A model teenager!

It's amazing how hanging with the wrong crowd will change a person!! Makes me worried as a parent sometimes!!