Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Default SitcomsOnline.com Special: Networks Selling Out?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...-networks.html

Discuss.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Ok, they are going on Nielsen ratings and like it was pointed out in the blog, if 10 Nielsen watchers are watching Fresh Prince and 1000 NON Nielsen people watch Mary Tyler Moore, then what is the point of the Nielsen, really? It seems only NIELSEN MATTERS. What abt the voice of the people through other mediums?

People complain on the networks' websites, people email and snail mail these networks, but do they pay attention to that feedback? Nielsen is NOT the only thing they (the networks) should pay attention to.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Its a big sellout. These networks use the people to start their networks up and as soon as they become successful they sell out. They become what every other network is. They tell their audience that made them a success in the first place...thanks...but we don't need you anymore. And they had to have been successful in the first place. It was their niche programming that got them picked up by these cable companies. People calling the companies as well asking that so and so be added to the lineup. And I do believe they don't care about classic television or anything. It's always the bottom line with them. And thats why I barely watch N@N, TV Land, AMC, GSN and I can go on and on....anymore.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Tall
Its a big sellout. These networks use the people to start their networks up and as soon as they become successful they sell out. They become what every other network is. They tell their audience that made them a success in the first place...thanks...but we don't need you anymore. And they had to have been successful in the first place. It was their niche programming that got them picked up by these cable companies. People calling the companies as well asking that so and so be added to the lineup. And I do believe they don't care about classic television or anything. It's always the bottom line with them. And thats why I barely watch N@N, TV Land, AMC, GSN and I can go on and on....anymore.
:

Not to mention, it seems every other network and cable channel is showing FRESH PRINCE. It is obvious that what works on one network, the other networks/cable channels follow suit. Rather than being "different" they simply want RATINGS. It really seems like this is what the networks are saying: if FRESH PRINCE is what brings in ratings, then, to hell with any other shows and the audience.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
:

Not to mention, it seems every other network and cable channel is showing FRESH PRINCE. It is obvious that what works on one network, the other networks/cable channels follow suit. Rather than being "different" they simply want RATINGS. It really seems like this is what the networks are saying: if FRESH PRINCE is what brings in ratings, then, to hell with any other shows and the audience.
They should just start The Fresh Prince Network....all Fresh Prince...24 hours a day.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
crusty
Occasional Poster

I am tired of hearing that "they need to make money argument" as a justification of airing their crap, especially considering the fact that I am paying $55 a month for a cable bill and being left unsatisfied with their stupid programming decisions.
crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
They should just start The Fresh Prince Network....all Fresh Prince...24 hours a day.
Hey, I wouldn't put it past some network to do that. N&N seems to already be on that path.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Brad
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
Forum Veteran

I haven't had cable since I moved to California three months ago. And surprisingly, I don't miss it.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA
I haven't had cable since I moved to California three months ago. And surprisingly, I don't miss it.
All I use it for mainly is for sports and movies. Their are an awful lot of cable channels that could be blank for all I care.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Chelsea
Semi-retired

It's impossible for networks to sell out, as the entire point of a business is to deliver the highest profit possible. You don't have to like it - Lord knows I've lost most interest in the television business, but it IS the way it is.

Quote:
I am tired of hearing that "they need to make money argument" as a justification of airing their crap, especially considering the fact that I am paying $55 a month for a cable bill and being left unsatisfied with their stupid programming decisions.
If you don't like it, drop the cable package. Enough people drop the package and your cable company will drop the channel to the digital tier or off their lineup entirely. At that point the network's household availability drops.

Of course, here's where life's a...female dog. If the availability drops, but the dropped carriage doesn't eliminate any Nielsen households, then the network's audience share actually goes UP. Ain't life wonderful.

I'd flip to see N@N running Odd Couple, WKRP, Mary Tyler Moore, and a bunch of other shows I'm crazy about. But for whatever reason, the industry likes the Nielsen system, so that's what we're stuck with. But the example I cited, 10 Fresh Prince vs. 1000 Murphy Brown...is very unrealistic. In reality, it probably is closer to 1000 Fresh Prince vs. 10 Murphy Brown. But I needed to make the point.
Former Seth, 1986-2015
For questions, comments, troubleshooting, or forum help, please PM TJ.
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #11
Chelsea
Semi-retired

There ARE a few networks that still care about their audience. AmericanLife is one for sure. They want to program shows their audience will enjoy, not just what delivers the best ratings. (a reason they're not behding over backwards for better carriage). In a perfect world, that's how things would work. But it's not a perfect world, sadly.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Chelsea
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
People complain on the networks' websites, people email and snail mail these networks, but do they pay attention to that feedback? Nielsen is NOT the only thing they (the networks) should pay attention to.
It helps better than saying nothing, but not a lot. Regular mail works a lot better. If they get enough viewer feedback, then they DO have proof that there IS an audience perhaps not represented by the Nielsen numbers. That's how Jericho got renewed.

Should they listen to their viewers more? Damn straight. But sadly, they don't.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth
It's impossible for networks to sell out, as the entire point of a business is to deliver the highest profit possible. You don't have to like it - Lord knows I've lost most interest in the television business, but it IS the way it is.

If you don't like it, drop the cable package. Enough people drop the package and your cable company will drop the channel to the digital tier or off their lineup entirely. At that point the network's household availability drops.

Of course, here's where life's a...female dog. If the availability drops, but the dropped carriage doesn't eliminate any Nielsen households, then the network's audience share actually goes UP. Ain't life wonderful.

I'd flip to see N@N running Odd Couple, WKRP, Mary Tyler Moore, and a bunch of other shows I'm crazy about. But for whatever reason, the industry likes the Nielsen system, so that's what we're stuck with. But the example I cited, 10 Fresh Prince vs. 1000 Murphy Brown...is very unrealistic. In reality, it probably is closer to 1000 Fresh Prince vs. 10 Murphy Brown. But I needed to make the point.
The problem is you can't drop just that one channel. The cable companies have it set up so you have to drop others as well so people are stuck with them. That's why I don't belive Comcast when they talk about how its unfair for some costumers to have to pay for the NFL Network when they don't watch it. I bet most costumers don't watch half the channels they get.

As for Fresh Prince...I do like that show and would chose it over MB anyday of the week but I wouldn't want to watch it 24 hours a day.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
crusty
Occasional Poster

[QUOTE=Seth]
[quote/]

You seem to forget, that dropping individual channels is not an option with most major cable providers. Therefore, for the time being we are stuck paying for cable channels we do not want.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #15
crusty
Occasional Poster

Quote:
That's why I don't belive Comcast when they talk about how its unfair for some costumers to have to pay for the NFL Network when they don't watch it. I bet most costumers don't watch half the channels they get.
I actually watch the NFL Network. The above that you wrote is a perfect example of the bad judgment calls that the people in charge of the networks and cable service make on a daily basis when it comes to programming choices.