Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Antenna TV's Bewitched 50th Anniversary in September Hosted by Erin Murphy (Tabitha); Paramount Announces New Comedy for Web
TV Land Orders New Sitcom Starring Jim Gaffigan; FX Laughs It Up on Monday Nights with Sheen, Grammer and Lawrence
Melissa Joan Hart Explains It All On truTV Tonight; Comedy Central Renews Two Series for 3rd Seasons
FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Default Ladner Case vs. Ives & Henry Case

I have made a couple of "vs." posts lately because I feel certain cases are quite similar. However, I had never seen the Norman Ladner case until tonight and I must say that the first thing that popped into my mind was the Ives & Henry case. These two cases are not just similar, but eeringly similar. I am probably not the first to make this observation, and would like to hear fellow poster's opinions on this notion.

Take away the fact that Ives and Henry happened to be laid on train tracks after their death, and these two cases appear nearly identical. All 3 boys were right around 17 years old. Ives and Henry had a .22 rifle and were walking rural land in Arkansas. Ladner also had a .22 rifle as was walking rural land in Mississippi. Both cases were ruled accidents or suicides by authorities. In both cases the parents have persisted in their own investigations and have turned up links to organized drug smuggling, and in both cases the police appear to be somewhat involved in a cover-up (there is more evidence of this in the Ives and Henry case though). All three deaths appear to be a case of the kids being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The motive for murder in both cases appears to be the silence of a witness to high level drug smuggling.

I wonder if Ives' and Henry's parents have ever been in contact with Ladner's parents?

At any rate, a very interesting case and I am glad I got to see it before LRW takes the show off the air soon.

Regards.
DISCLAIMER: All of my posts are opinions based strictly on my viewing of the "Unsolved Mysteries" television show and should in no way reflect or imply that I have any intimate knowledge of any of the cases presented. Everything I say is merely my opinion based on my viewing of the show.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
mozartpc27
Forum Regular
Vigilante Logician

I tink the "evidence" for a dug smuggling operation in the Ladner case is just that thing that his father found, which a retired officer who did not appear on camera said was similar to the sort of device that smugglers used to help guide planes to the ground. Pretty weak if you ask me - there was nothing found at the scene to suggest another party or parties were present.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Well, there is really not much evidence putting anyone else at the Ives and Henry scene either. Most of the evidence is based upon rumors about drug smuggling and the Mena drug ring. However, in the Ives and Henry case there were a few witnesses who claim they "heard" people talk about being at the scene. There are no such witnesses in the Ladner case based on the UM segment (but there were not witnesses in the Ives and Henry case based on UM either. All of the Mena stuff came out after the UM segment aired.)

The reason I am suspicious of the Ladner case is because the police did not even attempt to find the bullet that killed him. They based their entire conclusion on "how his body fell." This is pretty dubious to me. At the very least the bullet should have been found and matched to his rifle.

I wonder what caliber of rifle Ladner was carrying? The father said the bullet he and his wife found was "too long for his gun." I assume Ladner probably was carrying a .22 caliber rifle, and thus, the boy's rifle may have only been chambered for a .22 "short" or .22 "long" ammunition, and was not chambered for a .22 "long rifle." This is just speculation on my part, however.

I admit the family could be fabricating the story, but it seems quite creative for them to engender some story about a radio device, about finding a bullet beneath Norman's body that was bloody and had bone fragments on it, and about having a man tell the mother face to face to call off her investigation because she would never find out who killed her son. Of course, it would have given more credibility to their story if they would have shown the radio device or the bullet on camera or had the former DEA agent friend appear on the segment.

I am not saying this case is as suspicious as the Ives/Henry case, but I feel the police investigation was incomplete when they reached their conclusion.

Later.

Last edited by Thiussat : 05-07-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
peachysquirt21
Forum Regular

I believe the bullet they found they turned it over to LE & never got it back.

I think it's bit of a stretch that they would fabricate a story.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
CanadianUMFan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Well, there is really not much evidence putting anyone else at the Ives and Henry scene either. Most of the evidence is based upon rumors about drug smuggling and the Mena drug ring. However, in the Ives and Henry case there were a few witnesses who claim they "heard" people talk about being at the scene. There are no such witnesses in the Ladner case based on the UM segment (but there were not witnesses in the Ives and Henry case based on UM either. All of the Mena stuff came out after the UM segment aired.)

The reason I am suspicious of the Ladner case is because the police did not even attempt to find the bullet that killed him. They based their entire conclusion on "how his body fell." This is pretty dubious to me. At the very least the bullet should have been found and matched to his rifle.

I wonder what caliber of rifle Ladner was carrying? The father said the bullet he and his wife found was "too long for his gun." I assume Ladner probably was carrying a .22 caliber rifle, and thus, the boy's rifle may have only been chambered for a .22 "short" or .22 "long" ammunition, and was not chambered for a .22 "long rifle." This is just speculation on my part, however.

I admit the family could be fabricating the story, but it seems quite creative for them to engender some story about a radio device, about finding a bullet beneath Norman's body that was bloody and had bone fragments on it, and about having a man tell the mother face to face to call off her investigation because she would never find out who killed her son. Of course, it would have given more credibility to their story if they would have shown the radio device or the bullet on camera or had the former DEA agent friend appear on the segment.

I am not saying this case is as suspicious as the Ives/Henry case, but I feel the police investigation was incomplete when they reached their conclusion.

Later.

I just saw this Ladner case today on the Mystery Channel here in Canada. I too thought about the "Boys on the Tracks" case after I watched this one and rumoured connections to drug smuggling. I do find it puzzling how the police did a "half-assed" job of investigating this Ladner case. I guess that there are no updates on this case?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
hostedbyrobertstack
Frequent Poster

Both of these cases are probably the two that get at me the most. Something about these cases makes me feel really helpless. I know what it is like to be in certain situations and for these kids to be in a situation and end up being murdered awful to imagine. Looking at their pictures it could be anyone(I know that's the case with any mystery) but its because they were so close to my age and were doing things any teenager would be doing. It sucks that it is still unsolved, another one of those cases that should not have even gone unsolved. Especially after all the talk that the authorities were corrupt. The south seems like a different country sometimes(no offense).
Old 04-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
CowboyStudTied
Frequent Poster

they can be related what about the guy with camo on? what is his part in this?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
Blackout
yo mama's pimp

arkansas and mississippi...two completely different area's
Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout805
arkansas and mississippi...two completely different area's

How do you mean?

Go Vols!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
Blackout
yo mama's pimp

just because someone was murdered in one state in the woods over drugs, doesn't mean that the person murdered in the 2nd state in the woods was related to the same thing
Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
CowboyStudTied
Frequent Poster

they are very silmilar
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyStudTied
they are very silmilar

were they found hogtied with there boots on? i thought they were
Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
were they found hogtied with there boots on? i thought they were

roflol!!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Zlatko
Forum Regular

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the two boys who were killed in Oklahoma. It's been said that they were killed in the same fashion as Don, and Kevin. Both were lying motionless on a train track. I've been trying to find more details on the case, but to no avail.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
MegtheEgg86

Last September, I spent the entirety of my evenings for a week searching Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) accident records for both the Ives/Henry incident as well as the mysterious 1984 Oklahoma accident on the advice of my husband, who is a railroad employee.

The former was much easier to search for as I had an exact date, location, and knew the railroad involved--but I found nothing that even remotely described the Ives/Henry incident. There were a small number of reportable incidents in August 1987 involving the Union Pacific Railroad in Saline County (as well as the surrounding counties, which I also searched), including at least one report of an individual trespassing on railroad property, but I did not find anything about two people being run over by a UP train on 23 August 1987 in Bryant, Arkansas.

I remember feeling very uncomfortable the entire week because an accident of Ives/Henry magnitude would DEFINITELY be on file with the FRA, and not being able to find it unsettled me. It would have as well been on Union Pacific records, but I found nothing there when I searched the company's archive.

I also did not find anything detailing the 1984 Oklahoma incident. I can't recall if the record simply was not there or if I wasn't able to use the search engine because I didn't have an exact date or railroad for the incident, but I do remember that I saw no file detailing an accident fitting that description.

I don't understand why the Ives/Henry incident would not be on file with the FRA, if that's truly the case. One person walking down railroad tracks is considered a reportable incident to the FRA (and there are many of those in the archive), as are grade crossing accidents, derailments, spillages of any sort, personnel injuries, etc...and certainly people being run over by trains.