Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Happy Days - The Second Season DVD Review

Happy Days are here again! Enjoy Season Two of this American TV classic! The gang from the top-rated sitcom is back for more 1950s fun -- Richie Cunningham (Ron Howard), his parents Howard (Tom Bosley) and Marion (Marion Ross), his buddies Ralph (Donny Most) and Potsie (Anson Williams), and the coolest greaser, Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler). Join Richie and his friends for more rockin' adventures as they grow into young adulthood. This four-disc DVD collection contains 23 episodes of memorable entertainment for the whole family.

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/happyda...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Default thanks for a great review

its upsetting to know that big companies don't care enough about a great series like happy days to give it the best dvd release possible.it appears from the review times that most of the original lengths are it tact.but this whole video quality thing there is just no excuse after all this time they made us wait
its inexcuseable.im not happy about the music thing but i knew that was not going to be the original way.i was willing to live with that .but this picture quality thing is very upsetting. and as i said last night what does this hold for future releases are they going to suck also.i will buy every season the choose to release thats what real fans do.but i am really not happy about this much anticipated release.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
studd911

its not worth spending money on neither product i am not going to buy a show that is not completed i am telling you all season 2 will not sell i would be shocked if it did replacing bill haley rock around the clock with the season 3 theme is stranges to me, paramount has really dugged a deep hole i wih you all luck buying the dvd i am so made i feel like thowing away season 1 i hate paramount pictures
Old 04-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
rainbowfeet
Occasional Poster

Thanks for the great (yet upsetting) review. I'm glad that the people who read it will now be able to make informed choices about buying or not buying these sets. (One review I read didn't even mention the replaced theme, let alone anything else!)

I'm disappointed in this set all-around, and I'm ticked that I have to spend this much time and effort trying to decide whether or not I'm going to buy it, because I'm going to lose either way. It shouldn't be like this, but it is.

I encourage everyone who is the slightest bit disappointed with this to contact CBS/Paramount! Whether you buy it or not, let them know you're upset! Call, write, whatever, please do something. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
studd911

the number to cbs paramount is 1323-956-5000 good luck buting tere chops because they aregoing to get a lot of calls
Old 04-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
wayne

The change of the music doesn't bother me that much. What I noticed so far is that there is a scene at Arnolds at the end of the episode in which Ritchie moves into Chuck's apartment that I haven't seen since the show first aired.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
studd911

wayne i am telling you baed on the minor and unacceptable changes that paramount made on these dvds season 2 believe me they will not sell because when the fans see after many years of waiting for the show to come with everything not intact they will no buy it, i would be shoicked if season 2 does well but it will not, and paramount does not commerical advertise there dvd's as much as they should, well to each his own, i would spend money on a show that is not complete with the bad picture quailty thank god for tj and pav reviewing the dvd good luck buying it but to me its not worth it
Old 04-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
RootBeerRag
Frequent Poster

Well, you know, it does suck that so much of the original music has been changed, but it's more important to me to get the complete episodes, and it looks like we've at least got that. If what I've read is true about the price of clearing music rights, then I can't really blame Paramount or CBS for not picking up the tab. They'd never make back in sales what they paid for the music; it wouldn't be worth it to even release it.

Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed. I really preferred the "Rock Around The Clock" opening, and enjoyed the mood that it set for those early episodes, along with all of the original songs. It will never be quite the same for a lot of these old shows where music helped to mark the period, but I guess as with everything else in life, there are going to be changes, and I'd rather see some of my favorite shows again, even if it means without some of the original charm.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
anglemark10
Forum Regular

I started going through the set today comparing it with DVDs I have of the episodes I recorded from TV Land. Here are the discrepancies or additional notes I've encountered so far in comparison to the Sitcoms Online review:

"Who's Sorry Now?"
All of the instrumentals heard in the flashback scenes are replacements (as compared to the "Love and the Happy Days" episode of Love, American Style where the scenes originated).

"You Go to My Head"
"Perfidia" is replaced on the DVD.

"Guess Who's Coming to Christmas"
An exterior shot of a snow-covered Cunningham house is removed along with "Jingle Bells" which plays over it. Why "Jingle Bells," a song in the public domain, needed to be removed is beyond me. The writer, director, and other such credits are moved from this shot to the next where the family is talking in the kitchen. All of the Christmas instrumentals appear to match was is heard in the TV Land version. Finally, it appears I falsely listed "Jingle Bell Rock" as being in the TV Land version as I did not hear it.

"Fonzie's Getting Married"
It seems that the only reason they left in "Blueberry Hill" was because Fonzie mentioned that Fats Domino was playing on the jukebox. Otherwise, they probably would have replaced that song, as well. For whatever reason, a couple of seconds at the start of the episode were cut, including the word "I" in "I found my thrill..."

It may also be worth mentioning that several of the replacement songs heard in the TV Land versions were, themselves, replaced for the DVD set.

As far as the closing credits are concerned, it only looks as though one title card was re-done (in addition to the one that was removed). In the original versions, one of the cards lists the two theme songs ("Happy Days" and "Rock Around the Clock"). This card is changed to eliminate "Rock Around the Clock." As mentioned in the review, the card listing the "Recording Artists Contributing to the Series" is completely removed. Everything else looks to be the same.

I've gone through 14 episodes so far. I'll be going through the rest within the next few days and will post anything else I find.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #10
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

Once again thanks angelmark10. That is pathetic that even the replacements were replaced. It seems like CBS DVD just removed everything for the heck of it.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #11
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

What a rotten deal for the fans. At least Universal ponied up the cash so Miami Vice fans could enjoy the episodes as they originally aired, with the ORIGINAL 80s music. First Fox gyps WKRP fans, now Paramount is sticking it to Happy Days fans. Typical cheapskates...

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
Dynomite
Forum Regular

Email CBS Studios about the Happy Days: Season 2 DVD and feel free to express your complaints about the technical arrangements of each of the shows from the original broadcasts. They must have answers for why the DVDs are as they are.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbadal
Once again thanks angelmark10. That is pathetic that even the replacements were replaced. It seems like CBS DVD just removed everything for the heck of it.
I really shouldn't be defending them based on the travesty they've committed, but the replacements of the replacements actually do fit better than the replacements they replaced. Does that make sense?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #14
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglemark10
I really shouldn't be defending them based on the travesty they've committed, but the replacements of the replacements actually do fit better than the replacements they replaced. Does that make sense?
I think so...I'd have to listen to the replacements. Isn't it weird that the local TV stations have all the songs intact in their Happy Days syndication deals??

I dread the next season -- are they going to cut out Potsie (aka Dren) singing "Put Your Head on My Shoulder" to Joanie?? OK, I'll stop now...promise.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #15
anglemark10
Forum Regular

From what I understand, the reason why the songs are heard on television and not on the DVD set is because their use for TV has already been secured. I would guess that they already made deals with the publishers either when they first aired the shows or shortly thereafter so that any future airings would be covered. Nobody envisioned home video releases for these shows back in 1974, so, now, each time they want to release the series on DVD, new rights have to be negotiated.