Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

WKRP in Cincinnati links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / WKRP in Cincinnati Photo Gallery

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season on DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season on DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season on DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Final (Fourth) Season

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Final (Fourth) Season on DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > WKRP in Cincinnati
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-08-2007, 01:37 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season DVD Review

Baby, if you’ve ever wondered where the WKRP DVDs, they’re here now! The Complete First Season of WKRP in Cincinnati (the show that we all thought would never see on DVD) is finally coming to DVD... though maybe not in the way that we remember it. Nearly all of the funny moments that we remember from the series can be found in this three disc set from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

WKRP in Cincinnati was, for those that don’t know, a sitcom from the late 70s/early 80s about the life of those that work at an under-performing AM radio station in Cincinnati. The station is run by a general manager that is afraid of his mama, Arthur Carlson (Gordon Jump), and programming director Andy Travis (Gary Sandy). The employees at the radio station are all crazy in their own distinct way but all come together to make for one crazy show, from secretary Jennifer Marlowe (Loni Anderson), who somehow makes more money than anybody else at the station, news report Les Nessman (Richard Sanders), the (ineffective) sales manager Herb Tarlek (Frank Bonner), producer Bailey Quarters (Jan Smithers), and disc jockeys Dr. Johnny Fever (Howard Hesseman) and Venus Flytrap (Tim Reid).

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/wkrpinc...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
jaime_weinman
Frequent Poster

In response to the reviewer's question, here are the episodes that have had footage cut from their original versions, and what's been cut:

Hoodlum Rock (22:18) - syndication version
Bailey’s Show (24:35) - the end of the scene with Bailey, Johnny and Andy in the booth
Turkeys Away (24:18) - part of the Pink Floyd scene
Love Returns (24:46) - the end of the scene with Johnny in the booth in act 2
A Date With Jennifer (21:03) - syndication version
The Contest Nobody Could Win (23:42) - opening scene cut
Tornado (24:46) - beginning of the first scene in the booth
Never Leave Me, Lucille (23:53) - opening scene with Les singing "Heartbreak Hotel"
I Want to Keep My Baby (23:58) - Little bits snipped from beginning and end
A Commercial Break (24:24) - Scene of Johnny singing "So Long for a While"
Young Master Carlson (24:05) - Mr. Carlson dancing to "Soul Man"
Fish Story (23:21) - Venus singing "I'm tore down"

That's a lot o' cuts.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I am looking forward to owning these eps! Having said that, I am shocked and disgusted at Hugh Wilson's attitude toward the music changes, and that some scenes have been cut altogether. I still think it's a crummy deal. Look at how successful the Miami Vice DVDs have been since Universal paid for the music licensing rights. I think WKRP could take a cue from that. Oh well...

It's so cool to see Loni Anderson, Frank Bonner and Tim Reid involved in the extras. I look forward to owning the Turkey Drop episode and watching it every Thanksgiving!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
John Carovella
Frequent Poster

I have the set now and enjoy it. Hugh's comments don't rile me up as much as I thought they would. I liked how he said he's a Pink Floyd fan and enjoyed having an opportunity to include their music in Turkey's Away when it first aired.

The two short documentaries I enjoyed alot, I wish they were longer and more fleshed out but they're enjoyable as they are.

I'm encouraged by the sales figures I've been hearing for season one, hopefully more seasons will come and they'll continue with commentary tracks and featurettes. I hope they are maybe able to include Jan Smithers, Howard Hessmen and Richard Sanders in future featurettes.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
bencasey

I'm transferring my VHS tapes which are about 80% from the CBS airings. Quality is not as good as DVD but mine have the music in them.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #6
dabluguy
Occasional Poster

i wish i could get a copy of those...i ordered the complete series from allmyfavoriteshows.com and most of the discs i got were not playable on my dvd player. i wrote to them, chatted with them about replacement discs (which they said they would replace), but haven't gotten them yet. i wouldn't really care about the quality, just as long as i would have the episodes.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
sunsetflyer
Frequent Poster

I have been watching the show on WGN tv. They are showing all the episodes which seem intact. Of course I have my favorites. I loved the funeral director show where they made a commercial. That song was one of the funniest I have heard. I fell on the floor laughing when I first saw the show and heard the song when it was originally aired. I have heard about the chops in the season one dvd which is why I probably would not buy it.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetflyer
I have been watching the show on WGN tv. They are showing all the episodes which seem intact. Of course I have my favorites. I loved the funeral director show where they made a commercial. That song was one of the funniest I have heard. I fell on the floor laughing when I first saw the show and heard the song when it was originally aired. I have heard about the chops in the season one dvd which is why I probably would not buy it.
The Ferryman's Funeral jingle!!! That's one of the catchiest tunes and it is impossible to get out of your head!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #9
Lester
Frequent Poster

I've just got the Series 1 set in time for the 30th anniversary, when I intend to watch the commentary version of the pilot episode. It is indeed a shame that the episodes are not the original versions, but what is available is better than the series not turning up on official DVDs.

However, there is one thought that occurs to me: It's nearly eighteen months since series 1 came out on DVD. What news might Les Nessman have regarding further series of WKRP being officially released on DVD?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
Lester
Frequent Poster

Something I've just noticed about the series 1 DVDs - or at least disc 1:

I was watching Love Returns yesterday, and it occurred to me that the logo title lettering at the start of the show was blue. On other versions of the same episode, that is, taped off TV, the logo lettering was white. I did a quick check of the episodes I taped off Tyne Tees in 1988/89, and came to the conclusion that not only has the music been messed about with, but the show's opening titles too!

Also, in scenes with Andy and Linda, on the DVD sometimes her singing a song is on the soundtrack - for instance, at the very end of the episode, after he leaves her a note, we see "flashback" footage of them walking in the park. On the DVD, her singing is on the soundtrack; on the Tyne Tees version, it's just very quiet. Was there an "international" version of this episode, perhaps?

Last edited by Lester : 10-11-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
friendsfan77
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetflyer
"there ain't no way to deny it... someday, you're gonna buy it"

Overtime, that we're now just over halfway into season 2, I notice that with WGN's episodes, there are some music replacements and fake voiceovers ("Fish Story" has an obvious voiceover for Johnny Fever, and "For Love or Money (2)" has one for Venus), but you're right, it's not as bad as it could be. For instance, Much Too Much, Boogie Oogie Oogie, and Jailhouse Rock were still heard in season 1's episodes.

I hate that even in syndication there are edits, but these are still way better than the episodes from the more recent syndication package, and from what it sounds like, the DVD set too. I also love how with most WGN eps, they run 23-24 mins.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Lol

^ Not to mention the "Hallelujah Tabernacle Choir"'s "stunning rendition" of "Having My Baby". The looks of complete, utter boredom on Howard Hesseman's and Jan Smithers' faces were priceless.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #13
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

I've been watching my season one DVD's and loving them. I had forgotten just how well written this show was, how great the actors were, and just how brilliantly funny it is! I'd also forgotten that in the pilot Silvia Sydney played Mother Carlson. I definitely prefer Carol Bruce who played the role for the rest of the series. I'm having so much so much fun watching theses episodes that I hope the rest of this wonderful series will make its way to DVD soon! Oh and BOOGER!!!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

I watched Turkeys Away today. As God is my witness that was one brilliantly funny episode. It was very well written and brilliantly performed by the cast. The funniest line didn't even have anything to do with turkeys. It occurred when the entire staff was gathered in Andy's office to complain about Mr. Carlson's strange behavior. Venus complains that Mr. Carlson was nice to him and asked if he needed anything. Someone asked like what? And Venus looks around helplessly before answering "watermelon". A very funny line and brilliantly delivered by Tim Reid. I nearly peed myself!!!