Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

PB's What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!! Mini Page / What's Happening Now!! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / What's Happening Now!! Photo Gallery / What's Happening!! Message Board

What's Happening Now!! - The Complete First Season

Buy What's Happening Now!! - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > What's Happening Now!!
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
Stephen Colbert to Take Over Late Show on CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 14, 2014)
UP TV 2014 Upfront; TV Land Revives Candid Camera
The CW Schedules Sitcom This Summer from Online World; NBC's Comedy Playground Initiative: You Decide The Next Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend
Now on the good ship lollipop

Default How Did They Write Rerun Out Of WHN?

I used to watch What's Happening all the time but I've only seen most of season 1 of WHN and a few episodes afterwards. I always wondered how Rerun's absence was explained on WHN. Did they say or did they make believe he never existed?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Well there was exit episode for him or any reference as to what happened to him. He was referred to in the second season when Raj was going to have a garage sale and came across Rerun's old pom poms from episode four of the original series. I hope that this helps.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
MikeL
Forum Legond

yeah dwayne showed them reruns hat and they all said yeah rerun like he died or something it was confusing u said there was exit for him or that was only thing metioned
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

LOL. True. I know how Rerun really died though. It was reported that he died of a Twinkie Overdose. He had one hostess too many.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
GSU2004
Forum Regular

I thought they just wrote him out with no explanation. Sitcoms are notorious for that when they fire people or cut their budgets and layoff actors. I do remember some references being made about him in later episodes.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
I thought they just wrote him out with no explanation. Sitcoms are notorious for that when they fire people or cut their budgets and layoff actors. I do remember some references being made about him in later episodes.

Maybe they also left it open ended so that if Berry came to his senses, he could return.

Berry was an idiot for leaving. He did nothing after the original show went off the air. He should have been grateful to be working with his old friends again.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend
Now on the good ship lollipop

Thanks everybody. It's just something that I've wondered for years. lol

And Doc you are right about Fred Berry...he even changed his name to Rerun. It's who he was. He should have been happy to resume playing the character and he should have learned his lessons from the original series where he was probably as responsible as anyone for getting it canceled.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:46 AM   #8
faraj
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
LOL. True. I know how Rerun really died though. It was reported that he died of a Twinkie Overdose. He had one hostess too many.
Wow, looks like Rerun's eating habits had taken its toll.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

I did not know that Rerun was write out of What's Happening Now
Old 12-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Jrog
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Tall
I used to watch What's Happening all the time but I've only seen most of season 1 of WHN and a few episodes afterwards. I always wondered how Rerun's absence was explained on WHN. Did they say or did they make believe he never existed?

Well, as far as I can guess (and that's all it is), I don't think that writers ever really wrote him out, explained why he wasn't around as much, etc. Though when it happened I though (or maybe "fancied" was a better word) that the character had finally caught his (entertainment field) "big break" and was travelling overseas in pursuit of well deserved fame, etc. Back then I wasn't privy to a lot of entertinment/tabloid news so didn't know there was an issue between the Berry and the suits that ran show. In fact I spent virtually all of season two waiting for him to show up again . Have a good one, everybody.

Tagline for Gymkata.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #11
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrog
Well, as far as I can guess (and that's all it is), I don't think that writers ever really wrote him out, explained why he wasn't around as much, etc. Though when it happened I though (or maybe "fancied" was a better word) that the character had finally caught his (entertainment field) "big break" and was travelling overseas in pursuit of well deserved fame, etc. Back then I wasn't privy to a lot of entertinment/tabloid news so didn't know there was an issue between the Berry and the suits that ran show. In fact I spent virtually all of season two waiting for him to show up again . Have a good one, everybody.

TVParty and Urbanite Magazine (Georgia State University) reported that Berry wanted more money for season two since he felt he was the REAL start of the show. He tried to get his castmembers to rally behind him for more money for everyone like he did with the original series but no one signed on. He was simply let go. It was reported within both that he was still using substances during the 80's revival of the series.

It's sad because Berry was more of a dancer than an actor. He should have been greatful to get a role on TV and looking back, he did nothing else major outside of the WH franchise in terms of acting. In fact, no one went big or major from WH or WHN.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Maybe they also left it open ended so that if Berry came to his senses, he could return.

Berry was an idiot for leaving. He did nothing after the original show went off the air. He should have been grateful to be working with his old friends again.

I always thought that too but by season three you notice that Ken Sagoes and Martin Lawrence were casted. Sagoes resembled a younger Berry in looks and antics on the last season. He could have been easily a long lost brother for Rerun on the show giving both of them an opportunity to bring in the laughs together.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
TVParty and Urbanite Magazine (Georgia State University) reported that Berry wanted more money for season two since he felt he was the REAL start of the show. He tried to get his castmembers to rally behind him for more money for everyone like he did with the original series but no one signed on. He was simply let go. It was reported within both that he was still using substances during the 80's revival of the series.

It's sad because Berry was more of a dancer than an actor. He should have been greatful to get a role on TV and looking back, he did nothing else major outside of the WH franchise in terms of acting. In fact, no one went big or major from WH or WHN.

Indeed, after doing nothing after the cancellation of the original show, Berry should have been thankful that he was getting another TV job and to work with his old castmates as well. But ego is a strange thing that turns and out-of-work has been into a player with a major ego. He shot himself in the foot as he never did anything after leaving the show and he hurt the show, too.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #14
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Indeed, after doing nothing after the cancellation of the original show, Berry should have been thankful that he was getting another TV job and to work with his old castmates as well. But ego is a strange thing that turns and out-of-work has been into a player with a major ego. He shot himself in the foot as he never did anything after leaving the show and he hurt the show, too.

Especially when the original version of the series was about to be renewed for a 4th season back in the 70's. I always thought that the show could have easily lasted to 81 or 82 ending with the graduation of Raj and everyone else moving on to new phases of their lives. Mabel King also had greviances and with the kids getting older, obviously there would have been less for her to do. The producers would have to eventually make a decision to either focus more on the post high school lives of the gang or provide more storylines for Mabel and Dee as she was starting high school.

But these are what ifs we'll never know. Berry should have had some vision for the series.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Especially when the original version of the series was about to be renewed for a 4th season back in the 70's. I always thought that the show could have easily lasted to 81 or 82 ending with the graduation of Raj and everyone else moving on to new phases of their lives. Mabel King also had greviances and with the kids getting older, obviously there would have been less for her to do. The producers would have to eventually make a decision to either focus more on the post high school lives of the gang or provide more storylines for Mabel and Dee as she was starting high school.

But these are what ifs we'll never know. Berry should have had some vision for the series.

Where did you hear the show was going to be renewed for a fourth season?? I thought the ratings had tanked in season three, hence its cancellation in 1979.