Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #16
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Actually, that isnt how it went. Here we go with this 2nd guessing stuff again, I wont even pretend to know what I would do if I was being held at gun point, whether I would run or not like Rollins did, I imagine unless you are actually in that situation you do not know what you would do. However in the segment, it showed Rollins standing there with his hands raised, Joe Cole actually tried to get away first I think and the robbers turned around to him and shot at him and Rollins said he stood there for a few seconds, thinking how strange gunshots sounded in the room as the sound of the gun shots bounced off the walls and then the natural reaction Rollins had was just to run. However if anything Cole tried to escape and was shot first, Rollins didnt run off before the shots to leave Cole to die, he heard the gun shots and he ran off.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:41 AM   #17
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

That's RIGHT! I forgot about that comment Rollins made regarding the echo of the gunshots. Thank you for pointing that out, Kadrmas!

...and yeah, I think that the natural reaction is to run like hell. I"m sure Joe Cole didn't think anything less of his friend for doing that. I think most of us in the same situation would want our friends to be safe.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #18
wiseguy182

I don't have a problem with Rollins taking off for a couple of reasons:

1. Amount of time: It's not like he had all the time in the world to think about whether to fight or flight, we're talking about a couple seconds here, tops. And given that Cole had been shot, Rollins probably figured that there was a pretty good chance that he was getting shot too.

2. Neighborhood: This took place in Venice, which is one of the most high-crime places in Los Angeles. I can't say for sure as I've never been there, but this might be the kind of place where people will blow somebody's head off for ten bucks.

3. Unusual circumstance: I would imagine that Rollins probably figured at first that this was going to be a 'usual robbery', I really don't like using that term to describe it, but it's the best I can come up with. In any event, once Rollins realized that Cole had been shot, he figured that this was not going to be a usual robbery, and that his life was in grave danger.

4. Help for Cole: Rollins got out of there to not just help himself, but also to help Cole. Realizing that time was of the essence, he realized Cole needed help right away. Had he hung around, that would have delayed the time that assistance could get to Cole. Unfortunatley, Cole died anyways, but Rollins had no way of knowing that at the time.

So no, I have no problem with Rollins bolting.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
mozartpc27
Forum Regular
Vigilante Logician

I've seen this segment twice now and each time I've noticed the complete lack of any corroborating evidence for Rollins' story. The armchair detective in me starts imagining a clever murder, with a what's-her-name (Susan whatever who blamed the imaginary black guy for stealing her car and her children) element to it.

But, in this case, I think there must be some other evidence that suggests that there were two other people there. One thing that comes to mind is that, at least from the way the segment depicts the murder, Joe Cole was very likely shot with two guns, not one. Rollins would have to be one clever bastard to think of that ahead of time.

Also, after gunshots, people have a tendency to look out the window. Perhaps somoene saw two men fleeing the scene, and gave details the police preferred to withhold.

I don't for a moment, by the way, believe the Nazi thing about Rollins. For one thing, it appeared in The Globe. They're not exactly known for their high journalistic standards. For another, Rollins made it a point to talk about the unfair way justice is often administered in this country, along racial and socioeconomic lines. I don't think a died-in-the-wool racist, one who would go so far as to own Nazi paraphanalia, could bring himself to utter such a thought, even if it meant making himself look less guilty.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
The armchair detective in me starts imagining a clever murder, with a what's-her-name (Susan whatever who blamed the imaginary black guy for stealing her car and her children) element to it.

Susan Smith.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #21
synthisislab
Forum Regular

What would have been Rollins' motive for setting up and killing his best friend like that? He lived in Venice, which is a very high crime area like much of southern California where people pull off robberies and murders all the time for drugs or whatever. I just think Henry Rollins was very lucky to have survived that and his buddy Joe Cole was the unfortunate victim. Maybe the robbers/killers did see Rollins on TV and thought to watch him and try to rob him (and possibly kill him later). I just don't think Henry Rollins is the killer at all. Wasn't there a recent article other than that Globe article that had some suspects that still lived in the Venice area but didn't have the evidence (other than hearsay) to arrest them?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 AM   #22
Sylas M.
First Time Poster

I've been a fan of Henry Rollins since I first heard his band Black Flag when I was in junior high in the mid 80's. I've followed his career ever since, seen his spoken shows five times and read many of his books.

I don't believe he would withhold information about Joe Cole if he thought it would bring the killer to justice. They were best friends. He talked about this in one of his spoken performances called "Talking From The Box", released on VHS in 1992 (a year after the murder) and it has since been released on DVD. The story starts off funny as he relays stories about the two of them hanging out without saying who he is talking about. It sudddenly switches to first person, at which point the viewer can get a glimpse of the real-life horror and pain of this experience. It's a really powerful piece and I have seen it listed on youtube under the title "Rollins talks about Joe Cole" or something like that.

As for Dennis Cole's allegations about the racist paraphanalia, IF he said those things (which is suspect considering the source), I would like to point out that I don't believe that Joe was on particularly great terms with his dad.

I never heard a great amount of detail about this but I once owned Rollins' book "Now Watch Him Die", which is essentially his diaries written in the close aftermath of Joe's death. He has published many of his own diaries over the years but this one in particular is very dark, owing to the circumstances.

I would quote it if I could but unfortunately I loaned that book to someone years ago and never got it back. From what I remember there was an entry where Rollins was disgusted with a quote Joe's father had made in a newspaper about Joe, the implication being "how would you know?". The way I remember reading it, it implied that Joe and his father weren't particularly close.

No disrespect to Dennis Cole intended. He understandably wants the murderer of his son brought to justice but any allegations he may be throwing out there most likely didn't come from his son or those closest to him.

You could say I'm biased as a fan, but I'd bet money that Rollins isn't hiding any information based on how much I've heard him speak about this and seen written about it.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #23
Dislimb
Banned!!
Conspiracies suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylas M.
I've been a fan of Henry Rollins since I first heard his band Black Flag when I was in junior high in the mid 80's. I've followed his career ever since, seen his spoken shows five times and read many of his books.

I don't believe he would withhold information about Joe Cole if he thought it would bring the killer to justice. They were best friends. He talked about this in one of his spoken performances called "Talking From The Box", released on VHS in 1992 (a year after the murder) and it has since been released on DVD. The story starts off funny as he relays stories about the two of them hanging out without saying who he is talking about. It sudddenly switches to first person, at which point the viewer can get a glimpse of the real-life horror and pain of this experience. It's a really powerful piece and I have seen it listed on youtube under the title "Rollins talks about Joe Cole" or something like that.

As for Dennis Cole's allegations about the racist paraphanalia, IF he said those things (which is suspect considering the source), I would like to point out that I don't believe that Joe was on particularly great terms with his dad.

I never heard a great amount of detail about this but I once owned Rollins' book "Now Watch Him Die", which is essentially his diaries written in the close aftermath of Joe's death. He has published many of his own diaries over the years but this one in particular is very dark, owing to the circumstances.

I would quote it if I could but unfortunately I loaned that book to someone years ago and never got it back. From what I remember there was an entry where Rollins was disgusted with a quote Joe's father had made in a newspaper about Joe, the implication being "how would you know?". The way I remember reading it, it implied that Joe and his father weren't particularly close.

No disrespect to Dennis Cole intended. He understandably wants the murderer of his son brought to justice but any allegations he may be throwing out there most likely didn't come from his son or those closest to him.

You could say I'm biased as a fan, but I'd bet money that Rollins isn't hiding any information based on how much I've heard him speak about this and seen written about it.

QFMFT!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
HHorseman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangreen
Robberies and violent crimes arent normal anywhere.

You ever been to Johannesburg.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
baloony
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
I do find it odd that the robbers would allow Rollins to remain inside by himself while they took his friend out and executed him.

I have always found this very odd as well. They came there with the intent to rob and kill, so why stop at just the one? Why leave anything to chance?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Mystery Man
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHorseman
You ever been to Johannesburg.
Off-topic here but I love your Town That Dreaded Sundown avatar. Good movie.

As for the murder itself, I don't think Henry had anything to do with it. He's always came across as a nice guy, and I can't imagine why he'd do such a thing. Me being a fan of his work helps, too.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #27
TheCars1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloony
I have always found this very odd as well. They came there with the intent to rob and kill, so why stop at just the one? Why leave anything to chance?

No this is not what happened, according to Rollins. Both he and Joe were being led into their residence by the robbers, and Rollins was the first to enter their house. He made a break for the back door as soon as he did, and I believe it may have been when Joe Cole made an attempt to fight back with the attackers. As Rollins was running to the back door, this is when Joe Cole was murdered.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #28
Necco
Forum Regular

I do not believe for one second that Henry Rollins is holding a thing back. I've heard him speak passionately about his friend. I've heard him plead with people to live life to the fullest, to live the life Joe was denied. I've heard the pain in his voice as this man, with a reputation for being tough as nails and fairer than hell, recounted the loss of his friend.

A champion of gay rights, a true punk to the core and a decent man, that is all I see in Henry Rollins. Heck, do you know how much street cred he risked by going on UM?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #29
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

I heard a theory that the robbers may have robbed Cole and Rollins because they had seen music producer Rick Rubin's expensive car out in front of the home earlier in the day and thought they were loaded with money. Can anyone verify this?

Sign my Unsolved Mysteries petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/733/9...flix-and-hulu/
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
TheCars1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
I heard a theory that the robbers may have robbed Cole and Rollins because they had seen music producer Rick Rubin's expensive car out in front of the home earlier in the day and thought they were loaded with money. Can anyone verify this?

I can't verify if this is what in fact happened, but it sounds very likely.