Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

To have your access for this board blocked, please PM TJ.

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Politics
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity
Viking metal rules. \m/ \m/

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Default Christians gather for war protests

MSNBC.com

Christians gather for war protests

Police arrest demonstrators at White House

The Associated Press
Updated: 2:06 a.m. PT March 17, 2007

WASHINGTON - Thousands of Christians prayed for peace at an anti-war service Friday night at the Washington National Cathedral, kicking off a weekend of protests around the country to mark the fourth anniversary of the war in Iraq.

Afterward, participants marched with battery-operated faux candles through snow and wind toward the White House, where police began arresting protesters shortly before midnight. Protest guidelines require demonstrators to continue moving while on the White House sidewalk.

“We gave them three warnings, and they broke the guidelines,” said Lt. Scott Fear. “There’s an area on the White House sidewalk where you have to keep moving.”

Several thousand protesters remained across the street from the White House at Lafayette Park, cheering on those who were willing to be arrested. Protesters knelt and prayed in front of the darkened executive mansion. The president was away for the weekend at Camp David in Maryland.

The exact number of initial arrests was not immediately available.

John Pattison, 29, said he and his wife flew in from Portland, Ore., to attend his first anti-war rally. He said his opposition to the war had developed over time.

“Quite literally on the night that shock and awe commenced, my friend and I toasted the military might of the United States,” Pattison said. “We were quite proud and thought we were doing the right thing.”

He said the way the war had progressed and U.S. foreign policy since then had forced him to question his beliefs.

“A lot of the rhetoric that we hear coming from Christians has been dominated by the religious right and has been strong advocacy for the war,” Pattison said. “That’s just not the way I read my Gospel.”

‘An offense against God’
The ecumenical coalition that organized the event, Christian Peace Witness for Iraq, distributed 3,200 tickets for the service in the cathedral, with two smaller churches hosting overflow crowds. The cathedral appeared to be packed, although sleet and snow prevented some from attending.

“This war, from a Christian point of view, is morally wrong — and was from the beginning,” the Rev. Jim Wallis, founder of Sojourners/Call to Renewal, one of the event’s sponsors, said toward the end of the service to cheers and applause. “This war is ... an offense against God.”

In his speech, the Rev. Raphael G. Warnock, senior pastor at Atlanta’s Ebenezer Baptist Church, lashed out at Congress for being “too morally inept to intervene” to stop the war, but even more harshly against President Bush.

“Mr. Bush, my Christian brother, we do need a surge in troops. We need a surge in the nonviolent army of the Lord,” he said. “We need a surge in conscience and a surge in activism and a surge in truth-telling.”

Celeste Zappala of Philadelphia recounted how she learned of the death of her son, Sgt. Sherwood Baker, who served in the National Guard. When a uniformed man came to her door asking if she was Baker’s mother, she said yes.

“’Yes,’ and then I fell to the ground and somewhere outside of myself I heard someone screaming and screaming,” she said.

Tuesday’s anniversary
The Friday night events mark the beginning of what is planned as a weekend of protests ahead of Tuesday’s anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion, which began on March 20, 2003.

On Saturday morning, a coalition of protest groups has a permit for up to 30,000 people to march from the Vietnam War Memorial across the Potomac River to the Pentagon. Smaller demonstrations are planned in cities across the country.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Activists from the Mennonite group the Psalters pray before taking part in an anti-war procession from the National Cathedral to the White House on Friday.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
James

Question

What? A group of Christians that supports the "troops out now" crowd (e. g. the Hillary whose last name isn't Duff) and wants us to "cut and run"?

Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
Central Perk
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
What? A group of Christians that supports the "troops out now" crowd (e. g. the Hillary whose last name isn't Duff) and wants us to "cut and run"?

No, a group of Christians who still believe that Jesus is the Prince of Peace. A title that seems to have fallen on the deaf ears of neocons.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
James

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Perk
No, a group of Christians who still believe that Jesus is the Prince of Peace. A title that seems to have fallen on the deaf ears of neocons.

It's better to defeat the insurgents and terrorists over there before they arrive here if you ask me!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
It's better to defeat the insurgents and terrorists over there before they arrive here if you ask me!
Right. But some liberals will never understand that.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.

Quote:
And I imagine the war is just going swimmingly over there.

Let's see, Jesus said a few things like, blessed are the peacemakers, love your enemies, be kind who spitefully use you or persecute you, turn the other cheek, do unto others as you have them do unto you, and those who who live by the sword, die by the sword. So if we live by war, we shall die by it.

Hasn't our wonderful war increased the threat of terrorism up several notches?

I know, I know, I'm so dumb, I haven't really figured it out:

Jesus = war.

Right?

War is super good, not only does it kill those big bad terrorists over there, even though thousands of Iraqi babies get killed in the processs, but it shows those awful ingrates we liberated who's boss.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
James

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlairican Pie
And I imagine the war is just going swimmingly over there.

It depends on who you ask: the soldiers or the "drive-by media" dominated by left wing nut jobs that want our surrender, if not defeat, just to make our President look bad.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
It depends on who you ask: the soldiers or the "drive-by media" dominated by left wing nut jobs that want our surrender, if not defeat, just to make our President look bad.
The president doesn't need any help in making himself look bad.