Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Hulu Picks Up Comedy from Jason Reitman; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 3, 2014)
Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Day Marathon, Plus More Classics; MeTV Pays Tribute to Marcia Strassman Tonight
CBS Fall Pilot Review: The McCarthys - Premieres Thursday, Oct. 30; TBS Orders Comedy Pilot from Daily Show Producers
TV Land's Frightfully Funny Roseanne Halloween Marathon; CBS Picks Up Full Seasons of All New Dramas
ABC Cancels Manhattan Love Story; Remembering Marcia Strassman of Welcome Back, Kotter
Week 5 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: First Cancellation of the New Season; CSI Season Cut Short; New Mill Creek DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Tretsy
Occasional Poster

Default Craig Williamson

Apparently Craig Williamson went missing in 1993 after being newly married. He and his wife opened a fish farm and while away on a business trip he vanished. Eventually he was found in Key West and UM said they had filmed a reunion with his family. Apparently he was beaten and robbed and lost his memory. Did anyone see the update?? What happened?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Thiussat
Forum Regular

I saw this update. He was an older man, right? From what I remember, he was beaten and robbed, like you said, and apparently lost his memory because of this. He was finally identified when he was riding a train, a lady recognized him and he was eventually reunited. That's as much as the update said. It apparently was not a case of an intentional run away.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
wiseguy182
Kristopher and Roxann

I saw update as well. Call me crazy (everyone together now: "you're crazy"), but wasn't there a second update that mentioned that he and his wife got a divorce because even though they had reunited, it just wasn't the same. If so, that would be a sad ending.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
crystaldawn

Someone from the board recently told me that shortly after he was found his wife was interviewed on one of the morning programs, possibly the Today show. She (Craig's wife) didn't elaborate much but seemed to indicate that when Craig was found he already had a new girlfriend so that was no doubt a big reason why they weren't able to save the marriage.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
mozartpc27
Forum Regular
Vigilante Logician

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Someone from the board recently told me that shortly after he was found his wife was interviewed on one of the morning programs, possibly the Today show. She (Craig's wife) didn't elaborate much but seemed to indicate that when Craig was found he already had a new girlfriend so that was no doubt a big reason why they weren't able to save the marriage.

Was it just me, or did this whole story smack of someone who thought he was ditching a woman he didn't want to be with and perhaps an overcommitted financial situation (setting up a fish farm ain't cheap, I'm sure), only to find himself (oops!) the subject of a segment on Unsolved Mysteries? Then, having some sense of decency, he called and blamed the problem on "amnesia."

Amnesia, to me, is one of those things so rare that I'm always a little suspiscious when I see someone claiming it happened in real life (and this is not to belittle those who do experience this terrible thing --- I am sure, when it does happen, it is all too devestating). It's much more frequent as a TV plot device than a legitimate condition.

Last edited by mozartpc27 : 04-09-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
James T
Frequent Poster

It is hard to say, it was a lot of trouble to go to acting in such a strange manner in front of people he did not know with no real reason- it took this programme to find him so I think he was genuine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
Was it just me, or did this whole story smack of someone who thought he was ditching a woman he didn't want to be with and perhaps an overcommitted financial situation (setting up a fish farm ain't cheap, I'm sure), only to find himself (oops!) the subject of a segment on Unsolved Mysteries? Then, having some sense of decency, he called and blamed the problem on "amnesia."

Amnesia, to me, is one of those things so rare that I'm always a little suspiscious when I see someone claiming it happened in real life (and this is not to belittle those who do experience this terrible thing --- I am sure, when it does happen, it is all too devestating). It's much more frequent as a TV plot device than a legitimate condition.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
justins5256

I remember there being an update (it may not have been on Lifetime, I can't remember) indicating that Williamson had relocated and more or less started a new life after losing his memory. When his wife found him, the old feelings just weren't there and they got a divorce. The funny thing is, I recall seeing the update on Lifetime indicating that he had been found, and that a reunion was planned but that was it. The divorce angle wasn't there. Maybe Lifetime wanted us to believe the couple was on good terms and everything was fine so they withheld the later update.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
The Third Man
Frequent Poster

Here's an article (July 30, 1995) about the Williamson case from the AP wire. It looked like some authorities shared mozartpc's doubts about this being a true case of amnesia, and, after reading this article, I have to share them too.

HEADLINE: MAN MISSING 2 YEARS TURNS UP IN FLORIDA, CLAIMING AMNESIA

BYLINE: PAM ZUBECKL; Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph

DATELINE: COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.

BODY:
Craig Williamson, a Wisconsin man who disappeared from Colorado Springs two years ago while on a business trip, is alive and living in Key West, Fla.

Authorities say Williamson is working as a diver in Florida. He recently told authorities he lost his memory after he was assaulted on Aug. 30, 1993, at a bar or convenience store in Colorado Springs.

El Paso County sheriff's officials are skeptical but are glad to close a case that contained a seemingly endless stream of dead-end leads.

But Williamson's version matches a theory promoted by his wife, Christine Reinhard, who drew national media attention to her husband's disappearance. Her nationwide search for Williamson included a segment on the network TV show "Unsolved Mysteries," as well as countless newspaper stories in several states.

"I am in no position to talk about it. I am in shock," said Ms. Reinhard, who moved from Wisconsin to Cody, Wyo., after closing the couple's fish farm about a year ago.

"We're trying to keep it a private matter until we can resolve some issues," she said. "We're both very fragile right now. Craig is in a very delicate emotional state."

She also described her husband, with whom she has talked on the phone at least three times in recent weeks, as having an "extremely impaired" memory and being "very paranoid, scared."

El Paso County sheriff's investigators were relieved to close the case that involved hundreds of hours of work by local and federal agents and cost taxpayers at least $ 12,000 since Aug. 31, 1993.

Williamson had driven an old school bus to Colorado in late August, intending to buy fish from a fishery near Alamosa. But before he could load his stock, he disappeared.

In an Aug. 30 telephone call home to his fish farm near Clintonville, Wis., he asked his wife to call him at a motel the next morning to awaken him for the long drive home. When she called, she got no answer, so she called police.

Authorities found most of Williamson's belongings in the motel room and the bus parked outside. While there were no signs of a struggle, they treated the disappearance a possible homicide.

Within 24 hours of Ms. Reinhard's report that her husband was missing, Williamson's credit cards were found on a grocery store shelf in El Paso, Texas. Two weeks later a car he had rented in Colorado Springs was discovered across the Mexican border in Juarez.

Weeks later, a woman traveling by train through the Pacific Northwest reported seeing Williamson.

Ms. Reinhard pelted the Northwest with "missing" posters, badgered police and sought media coverage, and visited homeless shelters in an attempt to locate her husband.

In early 1994, she persuaded NBC's "Unsolved Mysteries" to do a segment on Williamson. That show was televised May 25, 1994, and eight subsequent times in reruns and syndication, generating more than 100 tips that were investigated by the El Paso County Sheriff's Department.

Recent telephone calls by Williamson to Ms. Reinhard and an ex-wife in Wisconsin led authorities to the Florida marina where Williamson had worked for the last nine months.

"I thought he was a very good employee, but toward the end he had a bit of trouble with his head," said Bob Ming, marina assistant manager who hired Williamson last October. "He said he had been beat up and was lost in the desert for two weeks."

Ming said Williamson "had a girlfriend but nothing serious" and quit two weeks ago. He now is a self-employed diver.

Williamson, who told Ming of some of his past experiences, never mentioned the Wisconsin fish farm or Ms. Reinhard, Ming said.

Investigators are not clear on exactly what happened when Williamson disappeared or why he recently phoned his wife.

But Williamson has since told officials that he was beaten severely and awoke in a hospital with a wristband bearing the name Ron. Later he rode buses and trains aimlessly before settling in Key West 18 months ago.

Sheriff's Capt. Lou Smit, who helped in the investigation, questions whether Williamson lost his memory. He said the abandoned rental car contained whiskers from Williamson's beard, which lab technicians found had been cut with scissors.

"He probably was changing his appearance," Smit said.

Williamson had $ 2,500 in cash when he disappeared and may have wanted to flee an overwhelming obligation of his new business. The couple had sunk all they owned into the fish farm and had borrowed another $ 400,000.

Investigators also question Williamson's apparent selective memory, noting the phone calls to his wife and ex-wife.

Smit said the truth will be known only if Williamson, who did not respond to a reporter's phone call, divulges it.

"I think it lies only in Craig's head," he said.

Investigators say they will investigate the allegations of assault only if Williamson wishes. They doubt he will.

Otherwise, "There's no crime here," Smit said. "People can just disappear and cause a lot of work for a lot of people if they want to."
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
Todd Mueller
Forum Regular
Keepin' it real. . .

I just watched this one today on one of CD's volumes. I felt horrible for this couple, especially the wife, because after all of that heartache and searching and wondering, you find your husband only to realize he isn't the same man who left.

From watching the story, I never had any doubt this wasn't real. That article is interesting.

The one thing that bugs me though is that if he was faking, it sounds like he did a hell of an acting job on that train.

Maybe it really happened and then after he got his memory back, he didn't want to go back to what he had.

Sad, sad ending no matter how you look at it. His poor wife... my heart goes out to her. She thought she lost him and then she really did (more or less).
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
mozartpc27
Forum Regular
Vigilante Logician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller
I just watched this one today on one of CD's volumes. I felt horrible for this couple, especially the wife, because after all of that heartache and searching and wondering, you find your husband only to realize he isn't the same man who left.

From watching the story, I never had any doubt this wasn't real. That article is interesting.

The one thing that bugs me though is that if he was faking, it sounds like he did a hell of an acting job on that train.

Maybe it really happened and then after he got his memory back, he didn't want to go back to what he had.

Sad, sad ending no matter how you look at it. His poor wife... my heart goes out to her. She thought she lost him and then she really did (more or less).

What makes you think that was him on the train? I don't trust eyewitness accounts of people claiming to see people they've never met before at all. On UM alone, there are countless "eyewitness sightings" of missing people that turn out not to be true. I'm positive this was one of those.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
Todd Mueller
Forum Regular
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
What makes you think that was him on the train? I don't trust eyewitness accounts of people claiming to see people they've never met before at all. On UM alone, there are countless "eyewitness sightings" of missing people that turn out not to be true. I'm positive this was one of those.

That is a good point although the witness said his appearance and what he said matched. Maybe it's that I want to believe this really happened to him???

By you are right, if this show proves anything, it's that people can be "100% sure" and still 100% wrong.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Arnold_OldSchool
Frequent Poster

Clintonville is only about an hour from where I live, maybe I should seek out the local papers on this story. I could send them to Crystal Dawn with her next check....
Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold_OldSchool
Clintonville is only about an hour from where I live, maybe I should seek out the local papers on this story. I could send them to Crystal Dawn with her next check....

That would be interesting to see.. I recently watched the NBC version of this episode. A question - did the Lifetime version mention that Craig had suffered a concussion shortly before his disappearance? In the NBC version his wife mentioned this and talked about how he kept having headaches but was reluctant to ever take any pain medicine. Its been a while since I had seen the Lifetime version so thought I'd ask you guys if this fact was mentioned or if Lifetime edited it out.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
FranchiseLegend
Frequent Poster

I remember this segment and I always thought Craig staged his own disappearance. In the update, they showed Craig and his wife walking together and chatting AFTER he was already found. She seemed heartbroken, but I think the finincial strain he put on the Fish Farm made him want out.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
Todd Mueller
Forum Regular
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranchiseLegend
I remember this segment and I always thought Craig staged his own disappearance. In the update, they showed Craig and his wife walking together and chatting AFTER he was already found. She seemed heartbroken, but I think the finincial strain he put on the Fish Farm made him want out.

The problem is, he'd had a head injury. People do weird stuff after that sometimes. Combine a head injury with tremendous stress and anything is possible.

I'm not saying he didn't fake it but I don't think it started that way. Maybe he found himself elsewhere and then became to ashamed to go back.