Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Bosom Buddies (Sitcoms Online) / Bosom Buddies links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Bosom Buddies Photo Gallery

Bosom Buddies - The First Season

Buy Bosom Buddies - The First Season on DVD
Bosom Buddies - The Second Season

Buy Bosom Buddies - The Second Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Bosom Buddies
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Bosom Buddies - The First Season DVD Review

Meet two guys who are really in touch with their feminine sides. It's the show that launched one of the most successful film careers ever! In Bosom Buddies, best friends Kip (Tom Hanks) and Henry (Peter Scolari of TV's "Newhart") work at an advertising agency with their friend Amy (Wendie Jo Sperber of "Back to the Future"). After their apartment is condemned, they stay at Amy's place, a hotel for women, and discover how cheap the rent is. So they disguise themselves as "Buffy" and "Hildegarde" in order to live there, and life at the hotel is never a drag! Co-starring Donna Dixon ("Doctor Detroit"), Telma Hopkins (TV's "Gimme a Break!"), and Holland Taylor (TV's "Two and a Half Men"), this set includes all 19 episodes from the show's premiere season, on DVD for the first time!

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/bosombu...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
gabriel_katikos
Frequent Poster

Unhappy

Another great review, TJ!

However, just like the recent "Family Ties" set, the original Paramount Television "Blue Mountain" has been replaced with CBS/Paramount Television!!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
nocomments
Frequent Poster

I just finished looking at episodes 2 and 14 from the TBS airings (I taped them all), and unless any music stuff was cut for syndication, the only "music-related" stuff I noticed was the following:

Generic Jazz music (Episode 14)
Ruth singing the "Banana Boat Song" for about 45 seconds (Episode 14)

Plus, episode 14 has a shorter version of the 2nd intro. It lasts 1:25 instead of 1:50. Unless the Banana Boat song was cut on the DVD, episode 14 should be safe. Episode 2 doesn't seem to have any real music at all (sung, played, or anything), so that should be safe too.

I hope this helps...
Old 03-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
Skywalker
Forum Veteran

I can understand why ABC detested the "Shake Me Loose" theme song, it's terrible. I actually like the instrumental version they play during the end credits though.

At least most of the episodes are unedited so thats good.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
jaime_weinman
Frequent Poster

It appears that the "Banana Boat Song" has been cut. So there's the explanation for the time difference.

The other songs people sing in the episodes are intact -- why could Paramount get those but not "Day-O?"
Old 03-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

BTW, if you are upset about music changes, I recommend you join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stopthemonster, a group dedicated to stopping music clearance difficulties.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Skywalker
Forum Veteran

Anybody else get the season 1 set yet? I got mine in the mail today which was a shock cause this is the first time I've ever gotten a season set before the official release date. So far I've watched the first 2 episodes. I'm so glad this show is finally on dvd. It's great to see scenes that didn't air in syndication or on TBS like the tag scene in the episode "My Brother, My Sister, Myself".

It's hard to watch the opening credits with that awful "Shake me Loose" theme though. Other than that, the set is great and I hope they release season 2 later this year.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Chocolate Moose

From what I remember, they weren’t feminine at all, they just needed an apt! CAn't wait to see it again!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
imthe80s
Frequent Poster
pleasantly goofy

Send a message via Yahoo to imthe80s
Cool

Hiya all!

Just got my Bosom Buddies DVD yesterday at Wally World.

Actually I had no idea that it was being released until I got an email on Monday,
saying it's release date was going to be on March 13th.

Besides waiting sooo long for GAH to get on DVD, Bosom Buddies was the one I've been wanting most.

I was gonna wait to watch the some of the shows, but couldn't resist, so I played the Pilot right away!

Wow, I have not seen the Pilot since the show aired. So that was really a treat!
Guess for a long time, I thought I was the only person who ever watched it.
I really warmed up to the actors/characters, they were so funny and talented.

I remember when Splash came out, I said: 'Hey! That's my guy from Bosom Buddies!!'
All the actors just stayed with me and they really went on to do some great things.

The most disappointing thing about this DVD set is the change of Theme song.
I figured that 'My Life' was gonna be cut and I don't care for the replacement song at all.

They should have used an instrumental like in the end credits, I like that one.

Other than that, I had a great time watching the show again. Sure brings back memories...
I'll be watching more later today. I remember why it's always been a fave of mine.

With the release of several of my fave 70s/80s show, I can watch good TV again.
Back when the writing, the actors, and everything was just perfect.

Can't stand the TV shows of today. ack.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
RootBeerRag
Frequent Poster

Default Happy Days Are Here Again

In the third episode, "Loathe Thy Neighbor", there's a scene where "Buffy" asks Sonny if she wants to go out with Kip, and then when Sonny says yes, "Buffy" goes into the bathroom and belts out "Happy Days Are Here Again".. They actually cut out the singing of "Happy Days Are Here Again" on the DVD release..
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
imthe80s
Frequent Poster
pleasantly goofy

Send a message via Yahoo to imthe80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeerRag
They actually cut out the singing of "Happy Days Are Here Again" on the DVD release..

Wow, that may be going to bit too far. I can understand cutting out actual clips of music,
but to cut someone just singing or humming a fave tune is rather excessive.
:
Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
Chocolate Moose

why did they cut the song? were the royalties too much to pay?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose
why did they cut the song? were the royalties too much to pay?

9 times out of 10, yes.

I can't recommend the "Stop the Monster" group, which is mentioned many posts before in this thread, enough. Someone has to put an end to this, as there ARE some of us who want our favorite TV shows the EXACT WAY WE WATCHED THEM ORIGINALLY, with NO interference!

J.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
Skywalker
Forum Veteran

In "Beauty and the Beasts" when Buffy, Hildegarde, Sonny and Isabelle are sitting down at a table in a bar and the two guys that Sonny and Isabelle just met are standing near them, the part where "Hildegarde" sings "When my baby smiles at me..." is cut.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
In "Beauty and the Beasts" when Buffy, Hildegarde, Sonny and Isabelle are sitting down at a table in a bar and the two guys that Sonny and Isabelle just met are standing near them, the part where "Hildegarde" sings "When my baby smiles at me..." is cut.

Well then now this is officially a travesty. For all the syndication edits they may have restored, they are "making up" for that by hacking the show further with this music clearance nonsense.

Can't say it enough: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stopthemonster