Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > Moonlighting
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Moonlighting - Season Five DVD Review

And that's all folks! The fifth season of Moonlighting is now on DVD, and by this point, the writing is on the wall. The ratings suffered a marked decline, forcing ABC to put the show on hiatus, before burning it off on Sundays in the Spring of 1989 (before ABC Sunday was destination television) and canceling it forever. Near the end the writing was on the wall, and the tone of the show began to shift towards closure. The last scene of the series is one of the more unique endings in television it doesn't reveal the show to be a Tommy Westphall dream or anything, but it's still quite different, and yet consistent with the show itself--more on that in a bit. This season is, in my opinion, markedly better than season 4, even if the ratings didn't reflect that. They try as best they can to move on with the show, and you get 13 largely entertaining episodes it was just too late by this point.

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/moonlig...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
CyBr
Forum Regular

It's a shame that neither Bruce nor Cybill did a commentary this time. It would have been a nice gesture to the fans who stuck with the show until the end.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Luar
Frequent Poster

I agree with you CyBr, it's like a second lunar eclips...
A disappointed End!

Old 03-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Chelsea
Semi-retired

The entire set felt as though Lionsgate just wanted to get the set out, move the product they could, and just move on - little effort was put into it, aside from the animated main menu - but nice menus have always been a Lionsgate staple so they would never drop the bar there. They even resorted to cheaper black boxes rather than the packaging used for 1-4.
Former Seth, 1986-2015
For questions, comments, troubleshooting, or forum help, please PM TJ.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
moonlighting
Occasional Poster

Default Great review...

I noticed on your description for season range was 1987-88. It is actually 1988-89.

I am going to need this DVD set after studying for my final tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
kismet
I'm addicted too!

Season 4 was difficult to find in my area, so I assume season 5 will be elusive as well.
If someone buys it today, please post where you found it so that I can try that particular store first. My local Wal-Marts did not carry season 4.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Ro35
Frequent Poster

Sundays flyer for Best Buy has it on sale for 22.00. Also i bought mine last thursday at FYE fir 26.99. I would try those stores if i were you. Good Luck!

Maddie : I wouldn't want you losing any more sleep over me.
David : Believe me, if and when I ever find myself over you, the last thing I'll be thinking about is sleeping.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
moonlighting
Occasional Poster

Default Episodes cut?

I was glancing through the episode Perfetc...I noticed the beginning music sequence is shorter than my memory remembers it.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
moonlighting
Occasional Poster

Default Season 5 opinion....

It brought back memories to see episodes from this season. I enjoyed Jay Daniel's contribution to the audio commentary, as he added information I was searching for, like some the ratings info of the show. I still don't know why the network moved Moonlighting to Sundays. You already had Family Ties and Murder She Wrote in the same time period. I think the last season the network wanted to cut costs and the drama associated with the show. Per Jay's commentary he said the ratings were #13, #16, #20, #25 and #40 (after a several week hiatus). Did the ratings justify the move?

Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
dreams200377
Forum Regular

and didn't jay daniel work on rosanne too? how upsetting (for me) that roseanne ended up taking ML's tuesday time slot.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #11
moonlighting
Occasional Poster

Default Jay Daniel...

He also worked on the first two seasons of Cybill too....

Old 03-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
dreams200377
Forum Regular

oh, right, he did.

btw, got my set at best buy on tuesday. good luck, kismet.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
MulberryGal
Forum Regular

I was also rather disappointed the Bruce or Cybill weren't involved this time. Got to say that I'd forgotten how good some of the early Season 5 episodes were tho! Cool!

Mul

Maddie Hayes: I wouldn't want you losing any more sleep over me.
David Addison : Believe me, if and when I ever find myself over you, the last thing I'll be thinking about is sleeping.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
dreams200377
Forum Regular

I know, it would have been nice if they did at least one commentary together. i feel the same way about some of season 5, i'm actually liking these much better than season 4. this is the first set i've actually watched in order. since i haven't seen these as much as earlier ones, it's like seeing them for the first time---sort of.