Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #61
KurtPikachu2001
Frequent Poster

The Good Guys, Alcatraz, Gracepoint, Futurama, and Brickleberry.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #62
king of comedy

The Critic
Old 02-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #63
danderson400
Forum Regular

do you think china beach would have lasted longer maybe on Monday nights?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #64
JO Sweet Heart

I want The Glades back!

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Old 04-14-2015, 02:42 AM   #65
veggie-tari-jenn
SARCASTIC COUPON PRINCESS!!

The Soap Opera Titans it was on Oct 2000 to Dec 2000 and only aired 11 of the 13 episodes filmed.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #66
kclj520
Frequent Poster

I just loved "Back to You" with Patricia Heaton and Kelsey Grammer 2007-08. Writers strike ended that one, but it was very funny and could have really been great I think!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #67
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

MULANEY should have gone 14 episodes.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 AM   #68
Edison
Forum Regular

The Powers That Be, The Middleman, Cupid, Movie Stars, Frank's Place, The Tick, Max Headroom, Wonderfalls, My So-Called Life, Freaks And Geeks, Square Pegs, Pushing Daisies, Maniac Mansion, China Beach, Camp Runamuck, Maybe It's Me, Police Squad, The Education Of Max Bickford, I'll Fly Away, The Torkelsons, Nothing Sacred, Joan Of Arcadia, The Good Guys, The John Larroquette Show, Maximum Bob, The Pursuit Of Happiness, Way Out...Grand, The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr., Mann & Machine, Firefly, My World And Welcome To It, Slings & Arrows, When Things Were Rotten.

Last edited by Edison : 01-07-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #69
king of comedy

They all should have lasted longer.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #70
irehtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison
The Powers That Be, The Middleman, Cupid, Movie Stars, Frank's Place, The Tick, Max Headroom, Wonderfalls, My So-Called Life, Freaks And Geeks, Square Pegs, Pushing Daisies, Maniac Mansion, China Beach, Camp Runamuck, Maybe It's Me, Police Squad, The Education Of Max Bickford, I'll Fly Away, The Torkelsons, Nothing Sacred, Joan Of Arcadia, The Good Guys, The John Larroquette Show, Maximum Bob, The Pursuit Of Happiness, Way Out...Grand, The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr., Mann & Machine, Firefly, My World And Welcome To It, Slings & Arrows, When Things Were Rotten.

Don't forget about "Do Over", "Popular", "Pointman" and "Fortune Hunter".
Old 01-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #71
Edison
Forum Regular

Indeed. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #72
EccentricGenius
Forum Regular

"Police Squad!" and "Square Pegs" definitely come to mind for me..."Squad!" lasted only six measly episodes, and "Pegs" limped through nineteen episodes. Oh, well...at least I own them both on DVD; I can watch them anytime and wonder "what could've been" had they both lasted longer.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #73
king of comedy

I loved Police Squad and the Naked Gun films. I got to get Square Pegs.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #74
Edward216

I'll put in a vote for Square Pegs too. I was 13 years old when it started so I was just starting my teens and going into adolescence and starting to relate to a lot of the stuff that was going on with the characters. Very funny show with likable characters that didn't get the chance it deserved.

I also want to add Still Standing. I mean it was on for 4 season but should've been on longer. Again another funny show with a likable family and lots of hilarious situations. And I thought Mark Addy and Jami Gertz had very good chemistry together. And even though Mark Addy is English he did a very good job sounding like a regular American guy. The show was cancelled way too soon.

Ed.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #75
EccentricGenius
Forum Regular

Here's another one-season wonder, guys: the short-lived 1980 detective comedy/drama "Tenspeed and Brown Shoe," starring Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum! It's a travesty that ABC pulled it after only thirteen episodes...from what I understand, "TS&BS" was hugely successful at first (it even ranked in 29th place during the 1979-80 season, tied with "The ABC Sunday Movie" and "Vega$," and ahead of "Knots Landing"), due to the series being heavily promoted by ABC prior to its debut.

My theory was that the reason "TS&BS" was prematurely cancelled by ABC was because of heavy competition in its original timeslot, Sunday nights at 8 pm (it was scheduled opposite CBS's hit sitcoms "Archie Bunker's Place" and "One Day At A Time," and NBC's "The Big Event" [an "umbrella title" for special programming, such as "The Godfather Saga" {NBC edited "The Godfather" and "The Godfather, Part II" into a single film, incorporating unseen footage from both films, for television in the late 1970s**]).

Despite its early success, ratings for "TS&BS" quickly plummeted, and ABC put it on hiatus in late March 1980. "TS&BS" returned two months later (in late May) in a new timeslot, Friday nights at 10 pm. The bad news was that the series was now scheduled opposite CBS's smash hit "Dallas." Needless to say, ratings for "TS&BS" nosedived even further, and ABC cancelled it permanently in late June 1980 after thirteen episodes.

Thankfully, the entire run was released on DVD by Mill Creek Entertainment in 2010--well, almost...sadly, Mill Creek couldn't obtain the rights to the pilot episode due to a disagreement from CBS Television Distribution (formerly Paramount Television); ergo, the Mill Creek DVD box set contains every episode of "TS&BS" except for the pilot. Oh, well...it would've been terrific had the pilot been included in the DVD box set, though; fortunately, the pilot is available for viewing on YouTube, so it's not a complete loss.

My final verdict for "TS&BS" is that it was yet another short-lived series that was "cancelled too soon" (there's been a lot of THAT going around for more than a half-century now); thankfully, I own the "almost complete" DVD box set, and I watch it occasionally. I've even watched the pilot on YouTube, and it is a gem.