Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #31
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyzer
But how would the set be complete if the music cuts shortened the eps? The set would be incomplete

He wasn't saying the sets would be complete with the music cuts. He was saying that, although he'd prefer COMPLETE seasons, a season release with music cuts (which is therefore INCOMPLETE) is better than no release at all. Re-read his post and you'll see what I mean.

Ed
Old 05-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #32
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster2973
Paramount was also aware that another classic TV sitcom, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, owned by FOX, had a similar situation where Season 1 was released but did poorly. After FOX sat on the series for a couple of years, they released a stripped down Season 2 set which was lower in price and not as expensive in packaging, and sales picked up. FOX realized that there had been an audience for the show but that they had went about it the wrong way. They then went on to release Seasons 3 & 4. Currently, only Seasons 5-7 remain unreleased, plus the show's spinoffs Rhoda, Phyllis (nobody really expects this show to be released) and Lou Grant. Ed

when the first season of Mary Tyler Moore came out, it was ridiculously overpriced - i think it listed for about $70 - and for that reason the sales were horrible. A couple of years after that Sam's and Walmart started selling it for $19.99, the sales took off, and THEN they decided to release the second season at a more reasonable price (it still had a bunch of pricey extras, but they were all done earlier).
Old 05-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #33
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
when the first season of Mary Tyler Moore came out, it was ridiculously overpriced - i think it listed for about $70 - and for that reason the sales were horrible. A couple of years after that Sam's and Walmart started selling it for $19.99, the sales took off, and THEN they decided to release the second season at a more reasonable price (it still had a bunch of pricey extras, but they were all done earlier).

You're half right. The price originally was in the $50 range and FOX declared the series dead since it didn't sell well in their eyes. When plans were made to go ahead with Season 2 (3 years after the "failure" of Season 1), they re-released Season 1 with cheaper packaging and sold it at the more affordable price.

The reason for the going ahead with Season 2 was for 2 reasons. One, they had anticipated Season 1 doing very well, since the show is a classic, and had already done the restorative work needed to put the show on DVD. Secondly, other shows, like Lost in Space, which had done abysmally in sales the first time around, had additional releases that were reformatted. With Lost in Space, instead of doing a pricey one season set, they cut in half and sold it as "volume" sets instead, and sales picked up immensely. FOX saw this and thought to re-think their strategy with The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

By this time, there was healthy demand for Season 2 to be released and so they released it with a slimmed down packaging. The extras contained on it were done prior to Season 1's release, but from there on, there would be no more extras added to the set. All of these factors helped decrease the costs on FOX's end to release the show, thereby making it less risky and more of a guarantee that they'd see a profit. FOX liked the money they made from the release and went ahead with Seasons 3 & 4.

The rest, I assume, you know...

Ed
Old 05-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #34
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
You're half right. The price originally was in the $50 range and FOX declared the series dead since it didn't sell well in their eyes. When plans were made to go ahead with Season 2 (3 years after the "failure" of Season 1), they re-released Season 1 with cheaper packaging and sold it at the more affordable price.
i said it LISTED at about $70 - and I had seen it Best Buy and some other stores for around $60 dollars when it first came out.

- what differences are there in the packaging? i can't find any separate UPC code numbers or re-release information for the first season... the original packaging looks the same as all the following season sets to me.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #35
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
i said it LISTED at about $70 - and I had seen it Best Buy and some other stores for around $60 dollars when it first came out.

- what differences are there in the packaging? i can't find any separate UPC code numbers or re-release information for the first season... the original packaging looks the same as all the following season sets to me.

That's the thing. The packaging for the original Season 1 release was very different. It was presented as if it was in a book and not in plastic cases. There was also pics from the show throughout all the packaging. Really fancy and classy release.

Ed
Old 05-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #36
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
That's the thing. The packaging for the original Season 1 release was very different. It was presented as if it was in a book and not in plastic cases. There was also pics from the show throughout all the packaging. Really fancy and classy release.

Ed
do you have pictures of this different packaging - cuz mine isn't like that, and I got mine LONG before Season 2 came out.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:27 AM   #37
studd911

much as i hate to sound redonded, but as far as i am concerned i do not believe that lavern an shriley had allot of music not as much as happy days, but i have said it once before paramount cares nothing for the fans who buys there product or any of there dvds which is sad but the truth, i even went on there website and did not see any laverne shirley mork and mindy or happy days seeason 2 its sad, all i am saytng that paramount does not commerically advertize there product and once again it will not surprise me if we do not ee season 3 and the rest of the series i bet you that paramount is still getting tons of calls and complaints but like i said before they can run out and spend billions of dollers on compaines and not restore shows that we like well what can we do nothing
Old 05-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #38
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
do you have pictures of this different packaging - cuz mine isn't like that, and I got mine LONG before Season 2 came out.

I'll try to take pics of mine with my digital camera in a couple of days (just have to buy batteries for it; the camera drains them something awful) for comparison.

Ed
Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #39
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by studd911
much as i hate to sound redonded, but as far as i am concerned i do not believe that lavern an shriley had allot of music not as much as happy days, but i have said it once before paramount cares nothing for the fans who buys there product or any of there dvds which is sad but the truth, i even went on there website and did not see any laverne shirley mork and mindy or happy days seeason 2 its sad, all i am saytng that paramount does not commerically advertize there product and once again it will not surprise me if we do not ee season 3 and the rest of the series i bet you that paramount is still getting tons of calls and complaints but like i said before they can run out and spend billions of dollers on compaines and not restore shows that we like well what can we do nothing

Dude, we get it. You keep repeating and repeating yourself ad nauseum, and it gets a bit irksome. Not only that, and I'm not trying to be snotty here (honest!), but your spelling and grammar leave a lot to be desired. It becomes a real effort to make sense of the things you post, and it's really disheartening to figure out that it's merely just a re-hash of the same posts where you bash Paramount. Can you try to at least be a bit more careful in that regard? I'm sure others, along with myself, would appreciate it immensely.

Sorry if I'm coming across as attacking, because that is not my intent. I'm sure you're a nice fellow who's frustrated at the injustice that's been perpetrated on his favorite show. However, if you're posting on a public forum, it should be, at least in part, for the public's benefit and not be an unorganized, rambling rant with spelling and grammar mistakes galore. It simply becomes too laborious to read. Please consider this.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you that many will be dissatisfied with Season 2's release of Happy Days, but ironically, the more that complain, the more copies it has probably sold. If sales are good, this will probably lead to a Season 3 release, with hopefully some of the issues addressed. I don't anticipate the music issue to change, but the video/audio quality may be improved upon if the show becomes more of a commodity to Paramount.

We can only hope...

Ed

Last edited by Edster2973 : 05-20-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #40
studd911

Hey ed thank you for you comment. But i am just angery about how paramount handled there dvd season 2 sells, i loved happy days laverne & shirley and mork an mindy, but these were shows that we all grew up watching, but when you half do any show with bad picture quailty and scenes cut, nobody is going to buy the product, and we all must admit that we have waited years to see our long awaited show. And like i have said all along people are not going to buy a half incomplete show, thats jus the way it it. I recently called paramount pictures and i told them that as a fan i was shocked of all the changes that they made. And they told me that they have been getting lots of complaints and letters from fans, and they said that if season 2 of all these three tv shows does not do well, we will not see any of the other series out, they even know that they messed up with the music rights, and to me, even though they could not clear the rights to all of them, they should have cleared some. My friend in ny has told me that he gets a review dvd news paper which tells which dvd's are doing well, and he told me that happy days season 2 is not doing well at all, and again if tv shows are not in there original formate nobody is going to buy them. I am just upset that we had to waite all this time, and i am not the only fan who feels this way. But thanks again.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #41
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyzer
But how would the set be complete if the music cuts shortened the eps? The set would be incomplete.

Which is what happened with the recently released WKRP In Cincinnati season one set. Though it seems to be selling very well from what I've read.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #42
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Which is what happened with the recently released WKRP In Cincinnati season one set. Though it seems to be selling very well from what I've read.

I'm glad to hear this, because I really think the DVD company was caught between a rock and a hard place on this one. I'm not a huge fan of the show so I wouldn't have bought a copy of it anyway, though I do like Loni Anderson. I became a fan of hers when she teamed up with Lynda Carter on the short-lived 1984 detective drama Partners in Crime, but I feel it doesn't warrant my buying a show that isn't a fave.

In any case, this show is a perfect example of how stuck the company was. There's no way they'd be able to recoup their licensing fees of the music with initial sales unless they hiked the price up to the $60 range, and even that's not a guarantee.

Some figure it's better to have altered DVD sets than nothing at all. They know that some purists will moan and groan but they hope there's enough that appreciate the show for the show itself that will result in the the naysayers not having that much of an effect. What choice do they have ultimately?

Ed
Old 05-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #43
likewow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxey
Is there a detailed description of what has been edited out of each episode on the DVD?

I'm still debating on whether I should purchase it.

I just watched the episode 'Playing Hooky.' The first minute or so is cut, where Shirley walks into the living room singing a song and Laverne puts her hand over Shirley's mouth. I believe she was singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning."

It's hard to believe they couldn't get the rights to two lines of a song! That is bordering on the ridiculous.

I'm so sick of human greed I could spit. In fact I think I will!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #44
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by likewow
I just watched the episode 'Playing Hooky.' The first minute or so is cut, where Shirley walks into the living room singing a song and Laverne puts her hand over Shirley's mouth. I believe she was singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning."

It's hard to believe they couldn't get the rights to two lines of a song! That is bordering on the ridiculous.

I'm so sick of human greed I could spit. In fact I think I will!

It is sad isn't it? And it's not that they couldn't get the rights to the song per se, but that each song, if you base it on what WKRP in Cinncinnati had to pay, is about $40,000 each. Yes, that's right. $40,000 for EACH SONG. They're not even guaranteed to make that in DVD sales. So should they keep the song included when it doesn't even move the plot or truncate it so that they can afford to sell the thing?

It's definite greed, but I think it's on the musical royalties side, if you ask me. Go here and see what I mean:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7201

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7212

Ed
Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #45
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
It is sad isn't it? And it's not that they couldn't get the rights to the song per se, but that each song, if you base it on what WKRP in Cinncinnati had to pay, is about $40,000 each. Yes, that's right. $40,000 for EACH SONG. They're not even guaranteed to make that in DVD sales. So should they keep the song included when it doesn't even move the plot or truncate it so that they can afford to sell the thing?

It's definite greed, but I think it's on the musical royalties side, if you ask me. Go here and see what I mean:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7201

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7212

Ed

Not to mention that the music publishers or record companies shot themselves in the foot by making the prices too high. Think about it, if they'd lowered their prices, they could have made some money on those songs. Perhaps they could have made an arrangement where the music publishers would have gotten a small percentage in exchange for offering a lower licensing fee.

At any rate, the fans are getting cut-rate versions of the originals and have to pay for the privelige. Well, I'm not, but I know the die-hards will...