Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All Other TV Shows Photo Gallery / Sketch Comedy/Variety/Talk Shows/Late Night TV Photo Gallery


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > All Other TV Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime's SMILF Returns for 2nd Season on Jan. 20; Bunk'd Renewed for 4th Season Without Key Stars
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 19, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Buys Rural Comedy From "Liberal Redneck" Trae Crowder; Crossover Event Planned for Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon
Fri-Yay: An Appreciation for Mike Schur's Comedies; IFC Acquires Pee-wee's Playhouse
Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
 
Pavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 17, 2000
Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Posts: 26,299
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default 1955 CBS Johnny Carson Show Coming to DVD on Feb. 20, 2007 from Shout!

THE JOHNNY CARSON SHOW

10 Newly-Restored Episodes Of Johnny’s Precursor To “The Tonight Show” Debut On DVD February 20th
DVD Featurettes Include Footage Of Johnny’s Early Career
From The Archives Of Wife Joanne Carson



While working as a staff writer on “The Red Skelton Show” in 1955, Johnny Carson filled in as a last minute replacement when Skelton was injured during rehearsal. His turn as host so electrified the network brass that CBS created The Johnny Carson Show that very same year as a showcase for the young comedian. The series served as a precursor of what would come later for Johnny, planting the seeds for the sketches he would perfect on “The Tonight Show,” and establishing him as a national star. Though the show’s were long considered lost, Carson ’s former wife Joanne discovered a cache of kinescopes and worked with Shout! Factory to produce a two-DVD set and accompanying booklet honoring her late husband’s early work. This lovingly-assembled DVD collection boasts 10 digitally-restored episodes of The Johnny Carson Show from its lone 1955 season, along with bonus material from Carson’s pre-“Tonight Show” career, including an episode of Johnny’s popular ABC quiz show “Who Do You Trust?,” as well as footage from his little-known daytime chat show and a recently discovered clip from Johnny’s October 1958 stint as a substitute host of “The Jack Paar Show.” Featuring parodies of popular films and television shows of the era, the series spoofs Edward R. Murrow’s “Person To Person,” The Three Musketeers, Walter Cronkite, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, “Dragnet” and the Russian ballet, with a cast including Jamie Farr and Jack Albertson and guests such as James Arness (promoting the premiere of “Gunsmoke”), Eva Gabor and movie composer Dimitri Tiomkin. The Johnny Carson Show 2-DVD set will be available on February 20, 2007 for the S.L.P. of $24.98.

Price: $24.98 SRP
Release Date: February 20, 2007
Running Times: +/- 4.5 hours
__________________
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog -- The best news out there!
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Scoobiedoo30
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Scoobiedoo30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 27, 2002
Location: KENNER, LOUISIANA
Posts: 27,412
TV

I did not know that Johnny Carson had a 1955 CBS Show
__________________
Who Dat
Scoobiedoo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
TV DVD Fan
Member
Senior Member
 
TV DVD Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 07, 2005
Posts: 2,583
Default

I'm leaning towards it because I haven't seen alot of Johnny's work, not being from either generation that his shows were on in. I'm also interested in the parodies and the vintage game show episode.
__________________
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Sarah Connor: Maybe if you spend your life hiding who you are, you might finally end up fooling yourself.

- From the episode "Gnothi Seauton."
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbadal
THE JOHNNY CARSON SHOW

10 Newly-Restored Episodes Of Johnny’s Precursor To “The Tonight Show” Debut On DVD February 20th
DVD Featurettes Include Footage Of Johnny’s Early Career
From The Archives Of Wife Joanne Carson



While working as a staff writer on “The Red Skelton Show” in 1955, Johnny Carson filled in as a last minute replacement when Skelton was injured during rehearsal. His turn as host so electrified the network brass that CBS created The Johnny Carson Show that very same year as a showcase for the young comedian. The series served as a precursor of what would come later for Johnny, planting the seeds for the sketches he would perfect on “The Tonight Show,” and establishing him as a national star. Though the show’s were long considered lost, Carson ’s former wife Joanne discovered a cache of kinescopes and worked with Shout! Factory to produce a two-DVD set and accompanying booklet honoring her late husband’s early work. This lovingly-assembled DVD collection boasts 10 digitally-restored episodes of The Johnny Carson Show from its lone 1955 season, along with bonus material from Carson’s pre-“Tonight Show” career, including an episode of Johnny’s popular ABC quiz show “Who Do You Trust?,” as well as footage from his little-known daytime chat show and a recently discovered clip from Johnny’s October 1958 stint as a substitute host of “The Jack Paar Show.” Featuring parodies of popular films and television shows of the era, the series spoofs Edward R. Murrow’s “Person To Person,” The Three Musketeers, Walter Cronkite, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, “Dragnet” and the Russian ballet, with a cast including Jamie Farr and Jack Albertson and guests such as James Arness (promoting the premiere of “Gunsmoke”), Eva Gabor and movie composer Dimitri Tiomkin. The Johnny Carson Show 2-DVD set will be available on February 20, 2007 for the S.L.P. of $24.98.

Price: $24.98 SRP
Release Date: February 20, 2007
Running Times: +/- 4.5 hours


I want some Tonight shows from the 1970's with Bill cosby, Redd Foxx, John amos and Gary Coleman as guests, not no damm 1955 season-lol Waste of money
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
tvfan0101
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 29, 2003
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
I want some Tonight shows from the 1970's with Bill cosby, Redd Foxx, John amos and Gary Coleman as guests, not no damm 1955 season-lol Waste of money
For those of us who are serious about researching and preserving television, the fact that these episodes are available is fantastic. But we all know how you feel about anything that does not fall within your narrow interests.

Anyway, although I am not a big fan of talk shows, I may pick this release up simpy for its historical value.
tvfan0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvobscurities
For those of us who are serious about researching and preserving television, the fact that these episodes are available is fantastic. But we all know how you feel about anything that does not fall within your narrow interests.

Anyway, although I am not a big fan of talk shows, I may pick this release up simpy for its historical value.


It's probably nice to have but I don't want to pay for it. I rather just have something give it to me for free
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
TV Knowledge Fan
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2006
Location: Long Branch, N.J.
Posts: 2,456
Default This important find...

...is NOT a "waste of money", 'TV Researcher'. I've seen one episode of "THE JOHNNY CARSON SHOW" from January 1956 (with Rudy Vallee as guest star)- and even though Johnny was working against all odds in trying to make his half-hour CBS comedy/variety series a success [including low ratings AND budget], he demonstrated a lot of imagination in the jokes and sketches he presented! The "comedy mind" was there, even though some of the material might have been "hackneyed", and especially if a guest was obnoxious to work with {like Vallee**. I'd also like to remind you that Barbara Eden [appearing under her real name of "Huffman" at the time] worked with Johnny in some of those sketches towards the end of the series, and she proved she was good at sketch humor as well!! I'd LOVE to see those episodes, with the original Revlon and/or General Foods {Jell-O** commercials intact!

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...is NOT a "waste of money", 'TV Researcher'. I've seen one episode of "THE JOHNNY CARSON SHOW" from January 1956 (with Rudy Vallee as guest star)- and even though Johnny was working against all odds in trying to make his half-hour CBS comedy/variety series a success [including low ratings AND budget], he demonstrated a lot of imagination in the jokes and sketches he presented! The "comedy mind" was there, even though some of the material might have been "hackneyed", and especially if a guest was obnoxious to work with {like Vallee**. I'd also like to remind you that Barbara Eden [appearing under her real name of "Huffman" at the time] worked with Johnny in some of those sketches towards the end of the series, and she proved she was good at sketch humor as well!! I'd LOVE to see those episodes, with the original Revlon and/or General Foods {Jell-O** commercials intact!



I think 1955 Tonight Shows would be difficult for me to watch because there were not many Guest stars during that era I would be interested in seeing
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
TV Knowledge Fan
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2006
Location: Long Branch, N.J.
Posts: 2,456
Default I'm not sure what you're referring to...

...'TV Knowledge'. Steve Allen was the host of "THE TONIGHT SHOW" in 1955-'56; Johnny was on CBS's Thursday night prime-time schedule at 10pm(et) with his half-hour series. If you mean his 1956 half-hour daytime CBS show at 2pm(et), where he mixed comedy sketches with audience participation and occasional guest celebrities, yes, I'm more than curious to see what that looked like {ironically, that was dumped in favor of "OUR MISS BROOKS" reruns that September!**. If you're referring to that 1958 "fragment" where he subbed for Jack Paar on his late-night series, there were enough "interesting guests" for him to chat with that week [different from what you're used to seeing today, I'm sure]- I'd like to see how he handled what eventually became "HIS" show.

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #10
TV Knowledge Fan
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2006
Location: Long Branch, N.J.
Posts: 2,456
Default 'TV KNOWLEDGE'???

I meant 'TV Researcher'!!!!!

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...'TV Knowledge'. Steve Allen was the host of "THE TONIGHT SHOW" in 1955-'56; Johnny was on CBS's Thursday night prime-time schedule at 10pm(et) with his half-hour series. If you mean his 1956 half-hour daytime CBS show at 2pm(et), where he mixed comedy sketches with audience participation and occasional guest celebrities, yes, I'm more than curious to see what that looked like {ironically, that was dumped in favor of "OUR MISS BROOKS" reruns that September!**. If you're referring to that 1958 "fragment" where he subbed for Jack Paar on his late-night series, there were enough "interesting guests" for him to chat with that week [different from what you're used to seeing today, I'm sure]- I'd like to see how he handled what eventually became "HIS" show.



Well that's even Worst now I know I have no Interest since Carson wasn't the host
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!
Senior Member
 
Lamont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 28, 2005
Location: Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
Posts: 5,075
Default

i cant wait to see this old show agaiN!
__________________

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
TV Knowledge Fan
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2006
Location: Long Branch, N.J.
Posts: 2,456
Default Some of you...

...might be disappointed with "THE JOHNNY CARSON SHOW" [as 'TVResearcher' is] if you see it- it's an "old-fashioned" variety show, with gags and routines that might seem hackneyed today...but the thing to watch for is Johnny.....even in 1955, he was able to take the most "mediocre" piece of material, and make it into SOMETHING special. CBS was trying to groom him into becoming a prime-time host along the lines of George Gobel or Jackie Gleason, which he wasn't. But he TRIED....and you'll see that on the DVDs when they're released.

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:07 AM   #14
friendsfan77
-
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 02, 2004
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 3,142
Default

Wow. I didnt even think this show existed anymore. It'll be a treat for me.
friendsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.