Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > Joan of Arcadia
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Joan of Arcadia - The Second Season DVD Review

What if God was one of us? God is one of us in the critically acclaimed CBS drama, Joan of Arcadia. Joan of Arcadia, is back on DVD for its last season (sadly) after over a 18 month wait between releases. Now you can bring god home to your DVD player in the second and final season of Joan of Arcadia! Join Joan, her friends, and the rest of Girardi family for godly visits. For those of you who don’t know, Joan is a 16 year old high school girl, with some friends, and a family, but now she gets unexpected visits from god himself. It might sound cheesy, but the writing of this show is remarkable. The show stars Joe Mantegna as Will Girardi - a tough but soft-hearted police detective of Arcadia, Mary Steenburgen as Helen Girardi -* an art teacher, Amber Tamblyn as Joan Girardi- * a typical teenager who now sees god, Jason Ritter as Kevin Girardi - a former high-school sports star who is in a wheelchair as a result of a car accident, and Michael Welch as Luke Girardi -* Kevin & Joan’s younger high school science-geek brother. Christopher Marquette, Becky Wahlstrom, Aaron Himelstein also star as Joan’s friends Adam, Grace and Friedman…and Mageina Tovah as Glynis.

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/joanofa...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
Buffyboy323

Awesome review. I liked the table read a lot too. More shows should have that on their DVD sets, IMO.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
vashti1999
Forum Veteran
NY METS - #1

I haven't gotten to any bonus features yet. So far, just the episodes (without commentary).
Old 12-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
Buffyboy323

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashti1999
I haven't gotten to any bonus features yet. So far, just the episodes (without commentary).
Me either. I have a habbit of jumping over to the bonus materials first, of shows that I've seen before. If it's a show I've never seen, a "blind buy", I'm scared of spoilers, so I watch the episodes then the extras.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
vashti1999
Forum Veteran
NY METS - #1

I just finished watching "Friday Night." That was great, powerful episode.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Buffyboy323

Quote:
I just finished watching "Friday Night." That was great, powerful episode.
Hhhmmmm....Is that when her friend dies? Or when it's the storm, with Kevin? (I don't know the episode titles too well)
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
vashti1999
Forum Veteran
NY METS - #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyboy323
Hhhmmmm....Is that when her friend dies?

Didn't wanna spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet...but yeah, that one.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:12 AM   #8
Buffyboy323

Quote:
Didn't wanna spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet...but yeah, that one.
LOL......Ooops. That was a great one. Very sad.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Heckles101
Frequent Poster

Season 2 wasn't as good as season 1 but I wish we had gotten a season 3 at least. My favorites from season 2 are "Only Connect," "Friday Night," "No Future" and "Queen of the Zombies." I also really liked the finale.. it felt very Buffy-esque.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
vashti1999
Forum Veteran
NY METS - #1

Turns out I'll have to wait to see the finale. I went to get disc #5 out of the case and noticed there were two disc 5s and no disc #6. I'll have to wait to get a replacement.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:29 AM   #11
Buffyboy323

Quote:
Turns out I'll have to wait to see the finale. I went to get disc #5 out of the case and noticed there were two disc 5s and no disc #6. I'll have to wait to get a replacement.
OMG! That's horrible. I had a problem last night with my ER~ Season 6. I just opened it from the plastic, and was looking at the discs, and just happed to pick up disc 3, and it was scratched!!! I had to exchange it today.

Vashti, you should bring Joan back, soon. Didn't you get it in November? A lot of places have a 90 day exchange policy.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
vashti1999
Forum Veteran
NY METS - #1

Quote:
OMG! That's horrible. I had a problem last night with my ER~ Season 6. I just opened it from the plastic, and was looking at the discs, and just happed to pick up disc 3, and it was scratched!!! I had to exchange it today.

Reminds me of when I bought a season of the Flintstones (like ER, from Warners) and there was a disc with obvious fingerprint smudges all over it. I couldn't believe they'd package that and let it go through. I was able to exchange that with no problem.

Quote:
Vashti, you should bring Joan back, soon. Didn't you get it in November? A lot of places have a 90 day exchange policy.

Yes, I believe it was that last week in November that I got it. I'm glad I have a habit of holding on to my receipts, now I just have to find it.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
vashti1999
Forum Veteran
NY METS - #1

Another great episode was Trial and Error, where
Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
Joan found out Adam cheated on her.
I watched that one last night. I didn't like the first season 2 episode, but the 2nd season has been as good if not better than the first. I have 3 more episodes to go, then I'm finished with the series, sadly.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

The finale is good. It certainly isn't an ending to the series, though. Damn CBS.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #15
vashti1999
Forum Veteran
NY METS - #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbadal
The finale is good. It certainly isn't an ending to the series, though. Damn CBS.

Is there any closure to any storylines in the finale or is alot of it left open and unanswered?