Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic
Summer 2014 Week 7 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Continues to Lead in Emmy Nominations; WKRP and Wonder Years DVD Updates
Blog Book Review - George Burns Television Productions: The Series and Pilots, 1950-1981; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 14, 2014)
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Hallmark Channel at 2014 TCA Summer Press Tour
Sean Hayes Joining The Millers; Remembering Bob Hastings of McHale's Navy
Hallmark Movie Channel Rebranding to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries; Disney Orders Second Season of Sitcom I Didn't Do It

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
fabgourmet
Frequent Poster

Default Anthonette Cayedito

I grew up watching Unsolved Mysteries and was really pleased to stumble upon this message board. I have ordered a number of dvds from Crystal Dawn and as I continue watching them I hope to discuss some of the more interesting cases. The first case which comes to mind is that of Anthonette Cayedito.

Summary: Anthonette was 9 years old when, in the middle of the night, she disappeared from her home in New Mexico. A little over a year later, 911 received a call from her saying her name and stating that she was in Alberquerque but the call was cut short by a man screaming, “Who told you you could use the phone?. The call was untraceable but at least we know that Anthonette was alive at that time and not murdered immediately.

Another unsubstantiated (yet likely) sighting was a few years later when a girl, 14-15 years old at the time, was spotted in a diner with an unkempt couple. The little girl kept dropping her silverware on the floor and when the waitress leaned down to pick it up, the girl would squeeze her arm. After this couple left, the waitress found a note hidden under the girl’s plate saying, “Help me! Call police!”

Also, late in the episode Anthonette’s mother is seen consulting with a Native American psychic who tells her that Anthonette is still alive, being held against her will by threats of violence and has a child. She is somewhere in the Southwest far from any town or city. The police were astonished to hear this as it matches their theories about what has happened to her.

My thoughts:

1. This was an inside job by an acquaintance of the family, not somebody they knew well but somebody whom they had perhaps met once or who had seen them. An acquaintance of a member of their extended family or of a neighbor. Also, I think they did not specifically target Anthonette but were going to grab whichever little girl opened the door, had one of her sisters opened it, they would have grabbed her. I would be curious to hear what the police think about this idea, if they feel she was specifically targeted or... for example, I don’t know what would have happened had her mother answered the door. Her family is adamant that Anthonette would not have opened the door had the kidnappers not said, “It’s your Uncle Joe”. Thus, her family was targeted by somebody who had direct knowledge of, at least, their extended family.

2. I was surprised by the fact that it said it was two men who kidnapped her and not one. As there were at least two people involved in the kidnapping, this doubles the chance that one of them would brag or boast of his deed yet this has not happened in this case. After her kidnapping, nothing- no leads, no tips, nada- for close to a year before her 911 call.

Also, on another website where Anthonette is profiled, they claim that one of the men is black and another Hispanic. I wonder how they knew this or if this is accurate information as it is not mentioned on the show and on the show her sister clearly says that she did not get a look at the men who grabbed her.

3. Even if the Nevada diner sighting was not, in fact, Anthonette, we know that she was alive for at least one year after she was kidnapped. My heart goes out to that poor, poor girl and her family. Why keep a 10 year old alive and captive for at least a year? And under what circumstances was she being kept if she could at least grab a phone somehow and make a call?

4. Other websites claim that police now believe she is dead as it is 20 years since her disappearance and there have been no sightings or even recent tips. I wonder what happened to this poor little girl and why the police now have changed their opinion- as of her UM profiling, police believed she was still alive and being held against her will.

5. It is my personal feeling that the police believe she is being held as a slave or house-girl for somebody- while it was not spelled out per se, the police on the show said that they were surprised when the psychics vision (still alive, with child) was in-line with their suspicions. I think that this is at what they were hinting.

I have found myself thinking more and more about this case since I first viewed it on the UM Favorites Vol. 2 as Anthonette and I are almost exactly the same age. I think of all the experiences I have had since I was 9 when Anthonette disappeared. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and I pray that she is either at peace or can soon escape from her captors. However, the sheer amount of time which has passed with no news from her as well as the fact that she would now be almost 30 years old does not make me optimistic as to her wellbeing.

Any thoughts, ideas, impressions?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
crystaldawn

Nice to see you on the board Fabgourmet! Yes I agree with you that Anthonette has a strong likelihood of being alive today. The sighting at the diner in my opinion is credible especially considering the "help me" napkin. Since she would be an adult now it is possible that she has broken away from her abductors (lets hope so anyway) and may have no conscious memory of her life before she was kidnapped. Yes it does seem strange that there were two people specifically targeting that house. I mean how many kidnappers knock on the doorl?? I think the fact there were two people would give a stronger likelihood that it was some sort of cult or somewhere where there were other children being held. I also think that they at least knew a little about Anthonette to know that she at that time had an Uncle Joe. I also agree that they would have taken whichever girl came to the door and if both had answered they would have no doubt taken them both. All we can hope for at this point is that she is still alive and has broken away and leading some semblance of a normal life and that the people responsible will be captured one day.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
mistagee
Frequent Poster

Now dont yell at me, but something tells me that she was killed at her home and the whole kidnapping thing was made up and the sisters were forced to lie. Is there any possibility that she was killed by a family member, or died accidentally and there is a big cover up?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:02 AM   #4
wiseguy182

Here's another odd but true personal story that somewhat relates to UM. This particulary story relates to the Anthonette Cayedito case.

Several months back, I was cleaning up the lobby at the hotel where I work, which I usually do when there's down time. I came across again a piece of paper on the floor that I had seen several times earlier in my shift, but had ignored. I finally got around to picking it up and was preparing to throw it in the trash, when I realized it said "help me" on it. I instantaneously thought of this case. I had wondered if the note was legit or not. When my relief came, I mentioned the note and the UM case. She said it was actually common for people that come to the hotel for meetings to write stuff like that on memo pads when the meetings get too boring for them.

Anyways, I do think the sighting at the diner was legitimate. I also tend to believe the psychic they profiled.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
rerungirl
Frequent Poster

I've enjoyed reading all your thoughts on this case and also believe the men who kidnapped Anthonette had to have some kind of connection to the family (as Crystaldawn said they knew enough to know there was an Uncle Joe). I believe the diner sighting was legitimate and think there's a possibility Anthonette is still alive. This poor woman may remember her family and know how to find them, but who knows what the kidnappers told her or threatened her with when she was held captive? How I wish Unsolved Mysteries would be brought back...to profile new cases and also look into older, still unsolved cases like this one.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
fabgourmet
Frequent Poster

Sorry to resurrect this old thread which I originally started, in fact, but I just watched this segment again last night and had two additional thoughts:

1. On Anthonette's 911 call, the man screaming at her says, "Who said you could use the phone?" Actually, this sentence itself is telling because had Anthonette been alone with this abuser, I feel he would have said, "Did I say you could use the phone?" While this is pure speculation, this comment makes me think that this man was not alone with Anthonette, that more than one person was watching her or keeping her captive.

2. Anthonette would be 30 on Christmas Day. As I commented earlier in this thread, she and I would be about the same age and I think that is one reason why this case bothers me so. While I would like to send the family a card letting them know that my thoughts and prayers are with them, I am not sure that such a gesture would be appreciated. Also, I couldn't really find much information about them online aside from sending such a card to the Gallup police... has anyone contacted a family in this manner before?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
ferrariboy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerungirl
I've enjoyed reading all your thoughts on this case and also believe the men who kidnapped Anthonette had to have some kind of connection to the family (as Crystaldawn said they knew enough to know there was an Uncle Joe). I believe the diner sighting was legitimate and think there's a possibility Anthonette is still alive. This poor woman may remember her family and know how to find them, but who knows what the kidnappers told her or threatened her with when she was held captive? How I wish Unsolved Mysteries would be brought back...to profile new cases and also look into older, still unsolved cases like this one.
Joe is such a common name, perhaps they just took a chance.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
ferrariboy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgourmet
Sorry to resurrect this old thread which I originally started, in fact, but I just watched this segment again last night and had two additional thoughts:

1. On Anthonette's 911 call, the man screaming at her says, "Who said you could use the phone?" Actually, this sentence itself is telling because had Anthonette been alone with this abuser, I feel he would have said, "Did I say you could use the phone?" While this is pure speculation, this comment makes me think that this man was not alone with Anthonette, that more than one person was watching her or keeping her captive.
2. Anthonette would be 30 on Christmas Day. As I commented earlier in this thread, she and I would be about the same age and I think that is one reason why this case bothers me so. While I would like to send the family a card letting them know that my thoughts and prayers are with them, I am not sure that such a gesture would be appreciated. Also, I couldn't really find much information about them online aside from sending such a card to the Gallup police... has anyone contacted a family in this manner before?
That's an excellent point, when I read that, I didn't think about it, but I just subconciously (I probably butchered the word) just assumed there were more than 1 captors.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
unsolved88
Forum Regular

This was indeed a sad case. Personally, I think Anthonette may have been forced into prostitution and that her abductors chose not to kill her because she was making them such good money as a prostitute. Also, I think that Anthonette is more than likely still alive, perhaps having been brainwashed by her captors or suffering from amnesia.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
An 80s Guy
legen-wait for it-dary!

If she has been brainwashed she probably will read,see, or hear something and realize what really happened.at least I hope shje does
Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
mozartpc27
Forum Regular
Vigilante Logician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariboy
Joe is such a common name, perhaps they just took a chance.

That was my thought exactly when I saw the segment --- so many people have an "Uncle Joe," it's worth a shot if you are trying to gain entry.

Besides, I'm not sure how credible her little sister is --- how much of what she said happened can be taken for gospel? It took her a long time to come up with the story we are all accepting for fact, and in that time it would have been easy for her to misremember details or forget crucial elements of what happened. I'm not saying she's lying, just that it's hard to know how accurate an account first given by a little girl so many years after the event itself had taken place can be.

I'm actually somehwat intrigued by the idea that the kidnapping was a later fabrication suggested by mistagee, though I think the telephone call to 911 makes that possibility significantly less likely. The call originiated in New Mexico, and it's an awfully tacky thing to attempt, especially over a year after the disappearance, if you're just trying to cover up the nature of what happened. Why make a cold trail a hot one, even if what you are doing is intentionally misleading?

Unfortunately, I think it is very unlikely Anthonette Cayedito is alive after all these years. The 911 call is compelling, but I honestly don't think it's that credible in the last analysis. If she was able to get to a phone once in the first year after she was kidnapped, and was being kept alive to be a prostitute, there would have been other opportunities before or since for her to make similar attempts to escape. It seems more like a cruel prank to me, although I will say that her unusual name makes this slightly less likely.

At any rate, one can hope she is alive, and I'll conceded that is perhaps more likely in this case than in some others that UM profiled, but I still think she is much more likely another Amy Billig.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
fabgourmet
Frequent Poster

Hi, Mozartpc27,

Thanks for digging up this old thread. Perhaps my favorite case of all time. As an aside, if I had to choose a Mozartpc name, it would end in 25 (503) but alas, that is fodder for another board.

I have the feeling that Antoinette is probably deceased at this point but I think that her 911 call is genuine, I mean her mother Penny positively identifies her voice based on the way she says her last name and also based on the way she starts screaming. I think it is Antoinette.

I’m divided about the later restaurant sighting. I think somebody was definitely in need of police assistance but who knows if it was Antoinette.

I strongly believe that whomever kidnapped Antoinette knew the family and knowingly used this Uncle Joe ruse as a way to get one of the girls to open the door. I think it is a safe assumption that the kidnappers knew there were young girls in that family so as to target it specifically- I mean, I don’t think that the kidnappers just showed up at some random house and knocked on the door at 3 AM hoping a young girl would answer the door so they could kidnap her- so I think they knew enough about the Cayedito girls to know that they had an Uncle Joe.

As I stated in my original post, I think it is like a friend of a friend of the family or somebody who knew their neighbors and saw them around the neighborhood or saw the girls at school and could somehow discreetly collect information about them. I mean, there were 2 men who successfully carried out a kidnapping without leaving a trace of evidence for years and years. I don’t think that can be done with at least a little preparation.

In any event, I think that Antoinette was certainly not killed immediately and was alive for at least a year after the kidnapping, probably longer, until her mid-to-late teens, but is probably dead today.

I’ll return to lurker mode now until somebody brings up some news about Cindy Anderson, Jane B. posts again or it is confirmed that Kathy Hobbs’ sister is actually giving update info…

-fab1

PS Heather, of course I love your new aviator.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
mozartpc27
Forum Regular
Vigilante Logician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgourmet
Hi, Mozartpc27,

Thanks for digging up this old thread. Perhaps my favorite case of all time. As an aside, if I had to choose a Mozartpc name, it would end in 25 (503) but alas, that is fodder for another board.

I have the feeling that Antoinette is probably deceased at this point but I think that her 911 call is genuine, I mean her mother Penny positively identifies her voice based on the way she says her last name and also based on the way she starts screaming. I think it is Antoinette.

I’m divided about the later restaurant sighting. I think somebody was definitely in need of police assistance but who knows if it was Antoinette.

I strongly believe that whomever kidnapped Antoinette knew the family and knowingly used this Uncle Joe ruse as a way to get one of the girls to open the door. I think it is a safe assumption that the kidnappers knew there were young girls in that family so as to target it specifically- I mean, I don’t think that the kidnappers just showed up at some random house and knocked on the door at 3 AM hoping a young girl would answer the door so they could kidnap her- so I think they knew enough about the Cayedito girls to know that they had an Uncle Joe.

As I stated in my original post, I think it is like a friend of a friend of the family or somebody who knew their neighbors and saw them around the neighborhood or saw the girls at school and could somehow discreetly collect information about them. I mean, there were 2 men who successfully carried out a kidnapping without leaving a trace of evidence for years and years. I don’t think that can be done with at least a little preparation.

In any event, I think that Antoinette was certainly not killed immediately and was alive for at least a year after the kidnapping, probably longer, until her mid-to-late teens, but is probably dead today.

I’ll return to lurker mode now until somebody brings up some news about Cindy Anderson, Jane B. posts again or it is confirmed that Kathy Hobbs’ sister is actually giving update info…

-fab1

PS Heather, of course I love your new aviator.

25, 27, they are all good --- I'm rather fond of 20 and 21 myself, in addition to 27. But the third movement of 27 has always been my favorite.

As for Anthonette, I think the major problem here is that the story everyone is running with (by necessity) comes from a girl who was 5 years old when the kidnapping took place, but was 10 when she related the details of the incident. Five years is a long time to forget or confuse or otherwise distort events in one's mind; this problem is only made more accute given her age at the time Anthonette was kidnapped. Who among us can really give accurate, detailed accounts of things that happened when we were 5? I remember snippets of things that happened at that age, but I was too young to understand the context of everything going on around me, so I'm sure the way I remember most incidents is something of a distortion of the truth.

As others have pointed out in this thread, this is an unusual method of kidnapping; the kidnappers, assuming the story is accurate, could not have predicted who would answer the door so late at night. Perhaps this means no one was specifically targeted, that instead it was either a relative or friend hoping simply to grab someone or someone who had cased the house hoping to nab a girl.

In any event, however, I would think that the target certainly was one of the two little girls, and not the mother; but, if the mother had answered the door, all would have been lost. For this reason, I kind of doubt the veracity of her sister's account in its entirety. Whoever did this would have wanted to make SURE there would be an opportunity to grab one of the girls --- why use a method that leaves that to chance?

As I think about it, I wonder if Anthonette hadn't made previous arrangement to see somebody, perhaps an older man that she naively trusted but who she knew her mother would not approve her going out with, and that this man kidnapped her. Just one possibility.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
adamdpg001
First Time Poster

hi first time poster, im going to have to agree with the theory that unfortunatly she has probally been killed even though theres a slim chance she may have escaped and is now living a new life i just can never get my head round why someone wouldnt make a run for it or if they let her go,come back home as it was clear how much her mother missed her.
the reason why this case has interested me is because at the moment there is a massive story in yhe U.K about a 4 year old girl called maddeline who was snatched from her apartment while on holliday in portugal while she was sleeping yet her younger twin brother and sister were left and there have been no sightings or anything and it just seemed to have an weird connection
Old 06-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #15
wiseguy182

I believe Penny Cayedito had three daughters.

Joe is a common name (my middle name in fact), but I don't think it's as common of name for Navajos. I could be totally wrong. This makes me believe it was somebody that knew the Cayeditos. Or it could be that the girl didn't know a Joe, but might have been thrown off when the guy said "It's Uncle Joe". Perhaps she didn't know of that uncle, but assumed it was legit. The kidnapper must have had some knowledge, I would imagine. What if the person that opened the door was a guy and a bodybuilder? What then?

I'm not sure what to make of the 911 call. One one hand, the mother seems to be certain it's her daughter (as fabgourment pointed out), and she said it sent chills up her spine. That makes it sound like the caller was Antoinette. However, the girl keeps repeating her name over and over, taking a chance that the 911 person knows who it is. The girl doesn't ask for help. I'm torn on this part of the case.

I'm also not sure of what to make about the sister's recalling of how Antoinette was kidnapped. I really can't blame the kid, but according to her, she just goes back to bed as if nothing happened. Later, she would state that she did nothing for fear of being punished, but why would she be punished? if anything, she would be helping out, and Antoinette could have possibly been located quickly after the incident.

It is true that we don't remember much from when we were five years old or thereabouts, however it is possible that a five year old's mind would have been more alert if they knew something major was happening, and in this case it was. Or it could be the exact opposite. As I mentioned recently, sometimes the mind blocks out the bad that's happening as a method of dealing with it. Understandable as well.

I would make more of an attempt to escape if I figured I was going to be held captive for a long time or forever, but I can understand why Antoinette didn't make a run for it, if she got caught that could have meant the end.