Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Hogan Family Online / The Hogan Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Hogan Family Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Hogan Family
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
88survivor

Default The AIDS episode.....very emotional

That was quite a sad episode for Rich's sad demise. He was David's best friend and this was possibly the saddest episode I have ever seen. Creating a documentary about Rich's last months was almost too much.....very sad episode.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
JRR4
Occasional Poster

Which was Rich's last episode prior to this one. He seemed to get very sick very fast, even in TV time.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
88survivor

I know, the sickness was not realistic.....including the 30 minute T.V time. But it was sad....
Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Smokin' Sods
Frequent Poster

They never explained how he got it either. That was frustrating. They just said "Rich has AIDS." Nobody ever asked how it happened.

Last edited by Smokin' Sods : 10-25-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:47 AM   #5
88survivor

I was only seven at that time.......but I have not seen it since the reruns, though. How would I know?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
fullhousefan91619
Forum Regular

Does he die? I'm a new fan of this show.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

does he die in real life or just in the show this very confusing thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
88survivor

Just in the show. He is still alive and kicking. He was in Heavy Weights. Not to mention he was the jock in Lucas(1986).
Old 07-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Sophie Treadmill
Frequent Poster

Just bumping this thread because I just thought of this episode the other day. I think it was one of the most well-done eps of a sitcom ever (as was the fire episode) as were the fire I really wish I could see it again. It was heartwrenching.

It was especially endearing and moving that they didn't tell us how Rich contracted AIDS. That's what made the episode stand out even more, in a critical sense. The writers knew what they were doing and made a conscious choice for a reason.

The whole point was that it doesn't matter how he got it. He had his whole life ahead of him and David was losing his best friend to a disease with no cure. It was devastating and, at the time, there was less understanding and tolerance for those with AIDS than there is today.

*Oh, and I just watched Lucas last night. He was really good in that role. So obnoxious and mean and perfect at it.

Last edited by Sophie Treadmill : 07-28-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
RetroJessica
Frequent Poster

I remember seeing this episode when I was about 12 when it first came on TV. There was alot of talk going on before it aired and after seeing the promo, I had to watch it. It was truly one of the most touching and thought provoking episodes dealing with such sensitive subject matter on episodic television. I remember tearing up when David learned of Rich having AIDS and then thinking back to all their times together. But I lost it at the end when David was talking about him and they started showing clips of Rich's last days where he started getting really sick and David had to help him with a glass of water, then they cut back to David during the school essembly and he says, with the tears streaming down, "Rich died last night", and he started talking about him. I was crying really hard. Jason Bateman was so good in that scene and the entire episode. You could tell that he was really touched and moved because he really was crying. I think Sandy Duncan was crying also as were the two young actors who played his younger brothers. I really wish they would air this show in reruns again, but then again we are living in a world where '70s and '80s shows are poisonous. When you think of all the shows on TV in the past two decades, like "Seinfeld", "Friends", "Frasier", "How I Met Your Mother" and "Two and a Half Men" where everybody is so careless about having sex, and the writers seem to be advocating promiscuity, you watch this episode of "The Hogan Family" and get kind of ticked off because it seems all these newer shows are being so cavalier about unsafe sex. I really wish they'd air this show again. I hate all these crappy '90s reruns they seem to be rerunning ad nauseum.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
chris jacob
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to chris jacob

not onlly was it a teriblepiode but it was rule wasto endthe series
Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
chris jacob
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to chris jacob

not onlly was it a teriblepiode but it was rule wasto endthe series
Old 07-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
Rambo Stallone
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Treadmill
Just bumping this thread because I just thought of this episode the other day. I think it was one of the most well-done eps of a sitcom ever (as was the fire episode) as were the fire I really wish I could see it again. It was heartwrenching.

It was especially endearing and moving that they didn't tell us how Rich contracted AIDS. That's what made the episode stand out even more, in a critical sense. The writers knew what they were doing and made a conscious choice for a reason.

The whole point was that it doesn't matter how he got it. He had his whole life ahead of him and David was losing his best friend to a disease with no cure. It was devastating and, at the time, there was less understanding and tolerance for those with AIDS than there is today.

*Oh, and I just watched Lucas last night. He was really good in that role. So obnoxious and mean and perfect at it.

This is what i hate about sit coms when they start becoming sappy. I like this show when it was called Valerie then called this.

Their were many of those shows like Step By Step,Family Matters that did serious episodes and i didn't like it. I watch Comedy for laughter not sadness.

This is why even thou i liked this show a lot as a kid,shows like this,Growing Pains,Family Ties,Step By Step don't hold up as much for me like shows at the same era like Sledgehammer,Night Court and Cheers.

I think i would prefer Hogan Family more then Charles in Charge back then but probably would get Charles in Charge on DVD before this now.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
ssudioTVgirl
Frequent Poster

Yeah this was a very sad episode. I also wish they'd air this again in reruns.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

it was a very sad episode