Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season DVD Review

School is back in session as Mrs. Garrett and the girls of Eastland return for the third season of The Facts of Life, one of the biggest TV hits of the '80s! Charlotte Rae (1982 Emmy nominee for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series) stars as school nutritionist Edna Garrett, who serves up her no-nonsense advice - and big laughs - to Blair (Lisa Whelchel), Tootie (Kim Fields), Natalie (Mindy Cohn), and Jo (Nancy McKeon). The four girls are maturing into responsible young women, and yet there is still so much more to learn.

The third season finds the characters in myriad dilemmas: Tootie (Fields) gets drunk for the first time, as well as developing a crush on her favorite singer (Jermaine Jackson of "The Jackson 5"); Natalie (Cohn) gets mugged after coming home from a party and develops a fear of going outside; Jo (McKeon) falls out of love with her fiancée (played by ‘80s heartthrob Clark Brandon) and in love with the man who’s playing her husband in a simulated marriage project for a class; Blair (Whelchel) learns her grandfather is a member of a Ku Klux Klan; and Mrs. Garrett has her hands full when she rekindles an old romantic fling. From the opening lines of the classic theme
song to every one of Blair's "brilliant ideas," enjoy the poignant and hilarious moments of The Facts of Life's third season, digitially mastered and on DVD for the first time.

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/thefact...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
raya
Forum Regular

Thank you. Before being released this is currently at about #276 on Amazon's list of top DVD's. Not bad. Glad to see people anticipating the release.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Nighthawk76
Forum Veteran
Rachel Berry

Great review! I can't wait until the 24th!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
JO jr

CAN'T WAIT! CAN'T WAIT! 13 DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!

THANKS FOR THE DETAILED REVIEW.

*WARNING* FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ME SLAM SONY ONCE AGAIN...PLEASE STOP RIGHT HERE. DO NOT READ ON FURTHER. OK...I WARNED YOU, THEREFORE I DO NOT WANT TO RECEIVE RESPONSES REGARDING THE FOLLOWING. THE ONLY RESPONSES I WOULD LIKE, IS FROM OTHER LIKE-MINDED PEOPLE. ALTHOUGH I'M NOT SURE THERE ARE ANY. WELL, ACTUALLY, I KNOW A FEW. BUT DON'T WORRY, I WON'T TELL ANYONE

*2ND AND FINAL WARNING* (I WILL PUT AN * FOR WHERE YOU FOLKS CAN PICK UP THE READING)

COURSE, AS USUAL, I WISH THERE WERE EXTRAS. FACTS EXTRAS. I DON'T CONSIDER PREVIEWS TO SHOWCASE OTHER DVD'S FOR SALE AS AN EXTRA. AND WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THESE IN THE INSIDE COVER? CAN'T THEY JUST SPEND A NICKEL & INSERT A PIECE OF PAPER WITH THAT INFO? DID THEY RUN OUT OF PHOTOS FOR SEASON 3? OH NO, THEY DIDN'T, BECUZ WE ALL KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT USING ALL CORRESPONDING PHOTOS WITH THE SEASONS. DUH? WHY NOT? SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS?
THEY'RE OUT THERE. JUST SPEND A LITTLE TIME ON THE WEB AND YOU'LL FIND THEM! DOES SONY THINK US FACTS OF LIFERS ARE SO STUPID THAT WE WOULDN'T NOTICE, OR LAME ENUF THAT WE WOULDN'T CARE? LET'S JUST GET IT RIGHT. IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED TO SIFT THRU PHOTOS, IS IT? IT MUST BE, BECAUSE THEY DID THE SAME EXACT THING ON THE FIRST DVD SET. NOT ONLY THAT, BUT YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THEY DIDN'T HAVE A PIC OF JO IN HER UNIFORM WITH HER TIE HALFWAY LOOSED? COME ON! IT MAY SEEM LIKE A LITTLE THING, BUT IN MY OPINION, HORRIBLE RESEARCH & I'D FIRE MY ASSISTANT!! SO, "I JUST HAD ANOTHER ONE OF MY BRILLIANT IDEAS!"

{MEMO TO SONY** RE: PROPOSAL FOR FUTURE FACTS DVD'S-MY OFFER STILL STANDS!
I'LL WORK FOR FREE & GET IT RIGHT. E-MAIL ME! SERIOUSLY. I MEAN IT, YOU DUNDERHEADS! LOVE, JO jr

OK...AND TO THOSE OUT THERE WHO DO NOT THINK I'M GRATEFUL ENUF TO THE POWERS THAT BE AND ALWAYS HAVE TO BE NEGATIVE ABOUT SOMETHING, I JUST WANT WHAT I KNOW SONY IS CAPABLE OF, AND WHAT US FANS AND THE CAST & CREW DESERVE! THE ABSOLUTE BEST. ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING WE'VE WAITED THIS LONG (SINCE THE SHOW ENDED),AND NO ONE FROM FACTS IS GETTING A DIME! JUST UNBELIEVABLE! SO, IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR BETTER QUALITY DVD'S? I THINK NOT! IT'S ABOUT PRINCIPAL & RESPECT I WOULD BE WILLING TO WAIT A FEW MORE MONTHS IF IT MEANT GETTING SOME REAL FACTS EXTRAS ONTO THE DVD.

*BUT ANYONE THAT TRULY UNDERSTANDS ME KNOWS WITH ALL MY GRIEVANCES, I AM ECSTATIC FOR ALL THE DVD RELEASES-PAST, PRESENT & HOPEFULLY FUTURE, AND WILL BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO BUY THEM. AFTERALL, LIKE MOST OF YOU, I'M A HUGELY DEDICATED FACTS FAN, AND JUST WANT THE ABSOLUTE BEST!! THE BEST FOR US FANS & THE FACTS GANG.

SO, LET'S DO OUR PART AGAIN , FACTS FANS, AND GET OUT TO THOSE STORES 10/24/06 AND BUY UP EVERY COPY THEY HAVE. JUST LIKE THE FIRST TIME!

Last edited by JO jr : 10-12-2006 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #5
raya
Forum Regular

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/review.php?ID=24147

Here's another 3rd Season review I found. I think this one is interesting since it was written by someone who wasn't really a fan of the show growing up, so they have sort of a fresh perspective even if FOL really isn't their thing. It's still pretty positive though.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
Nighthawk76
Forum Veteran
Rachel Berry

JO, I agree with everything you said. And raya, thank you for the review.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
tron1971
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the review and the link to the DVDTalk review, glad that reviewer "recommended" FoL Season 3.

A note with regard to the special or none specials on the dvd. From my understanding and someone can correct me if I am wrong, is that the sales of dvds are totally separate and actors usually don't receive anything for it.

The reason is that the contract with regard to FoL that they signed in the 80s probably had a clause with regard to reruns but probably no mention of future sales on the show on a vhs format or any other future device.

I think that most new shows now, have the actors having some sort of contract with respect to receiving money from reruns and dvd or future device.

I think everyone in the cast is well off to not worry about income. Plus we are talking about Sony not the best company in terms of pleasing fans.

Still, can't wait for Season 3 and hope it sells good to warrant all future seasons on dvd. I want to see FoL goes to Paris again, after 20 years...
Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
TALLguyinKY

I haven't been here in a while, but I did get Season 3 in the wee hours of the morning when it came out (I work nights so I get prime choice, LOL), and I screened the whole thing in 2 nights, and I LOVED it! So many memories, so many great episodes and moments.

And I was pleasantly surprised at "The Academy". The way I've heard people beatin' down on it here, I didn't expect the girls to be in it much at all (I hadn't seen it in years). But I loved seeing that they were throughout the episode, and I liked the show. "Jo's Cousin" was okay (especially Blair on the phone ), but I liked "Academy" a lot more.

I still remember seeing "Fear Strikes Back" as a little boy and how vividly that struck me...especially Natalie coming home right after the attack.

Jo's my least favorite, but my favorite episode of hers in this is "Sweet Sorrow". She did that so well, and I liked the guy who played her project-husband (I never cared much for Eddie, he bugs me). I thought they would make a great couple. Speaking of Jo, seeing how she and Blair have progressed in "NY, NY" is a brilliantly-done look at their up-to-that-point maturity.

Ya gotta love Nat and Toot in "Green-Eyed Monster"! And I like "Cousin Geri Returns" a lot.

And as a fan of NBC's "Another World" (long live Frankie Frame and Iris Cory Wheeler! lol ) I loved how in "The Affair" Mrs. Garrett and Natalie thought that lady at the restaurant looked like Rachel Cory, LOL!

And as a book-lover, I love the episode "Read No Evil" (what a great episode for a season finale)---go girls and Mrs. G, save those books!