Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Becker links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Becker Photo Gallery

Becker - The First Season

Buy Becker - The First Season on DVD
Becker - The Second Season

Buy Becker - The Second Season on DVD
Becker - The Third Season

Buy Becker - The Third Season on DVD
Becker - The Fourth Season

Buy Becker - The Fourth Season on DVD
Becker - The Fifth Season

Buy Becker - The Fifth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2000s Sitcoms > Becker
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

WGN America Fall 2014 Schedule; OWN's For Better or Worse Returns with a Bang
Summer 2014 Week 17 (Final Week) Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Looking to Make a Problem Child Series?; Jeffersons, WKRP, and Facts of Life DVD Updates
TVGN to Rebrand as POP; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 22, 2014)
Sitcom Anniversaries Galore: Friends 20th Anniversary Marathon on TBS; Cosby Show's 30th Anniversary Stunt on TV Land
TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Part 2; Gillian Jacobs 'Loves' Netflix with New Show for 2016
BET Fall 2014 Schedule with Fresh Prince; Michael Che Will Join Colin Jost at SNL Weekend Update Desk

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-05-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
Tiger32
Forum Regular

Default Why did they Fire Terry Farrell?

I often wonder why the show producers abrubtly fired Terry Farrell. They did not even allow her to finish out the season. I think that was rather cold, and I wonder why Ted Danson did not stand up for her.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
el-raro
Occasional Poster
Newbie?

I didn't even know she was fired. The final season never aired in Denmark.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

Default Why did they fire Terry Farrell

I through that Terry Farrell Left Becker
Old 12-16-2006, 02:19 AM   #4
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
She's good...

I've read that she tried to lead a cast strike which did not sit well with the suits in charge.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
Tiger32
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I've read that she tried to lead a cast strike which did not sit well with the suits in charge.

Yes, Janice you are correct, but the strike she led was at the beginning of season 4, and they did not fire her until near the end of season 4. I guess they were just waiting for a suitable replacement. Ted Danson who was also a producer for the show could have stepped in to save her. So I guess he apparently wanted her out too, or he chose to remain neutral on the whole matter.

Perhaps one day we will learn more about what happened.

It is really strange, that Terry Farrell still does not know why she was fired. But I guess that is show business, you are here one day and out the next.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Tiger32
Forum Regular

I found the following article on the web, it kind of paints a different picture on Terry Farrell's firing:

If you're a co-star of a sitcom, kissing the title character can prove fatal to your series health.
That's the lesson learned by Terry Farrell, fired from her "Becker" role just after the Monday-night CBS comedy's season finale aired last month. Her character, diner owner Reggie, finally kissed cranky doctor Becker (Ted Danson) after he showed interest in a lively neighbor (Nancy Travis). It was left a cliffhanger at the time, but Farrell knows the outcome -- for her, anyway -- since she won't even be returning to wrap up that story line.

The firing came "completely" as a surprise, Farrell says. "I've been trying to adjust to the shock of it, quite honestly. It's hard not to take it a little personally, for someone to say, 'You did a great job, but we don't need you anymore.' Especially with the last three stories (when Reggie's feelings for Becker intensified), you could only think, 'This has to be a really bad joke. After 94 episodes, I don't understand.'"

Farrell adds, "I was originally told that the very last scene of the very last episode of 'Becker' would be Becker and Reggie going on their first date, but that was a long time ago. I learned from doing earlier series that so many things are beyond your control, you shouldn't waste time thinking or worrying about them. All you can do is to do your best job and hope people like it."
The notion of pairing Becker and Reggie romantically went through many fits and starts. "The first time I met with Ted," Farrell recalls, "[the producers'] biggest concern was the chemistry. If you watch the pilot, you'll see that they wanted to play a romantic tension between the characters. Then they got concerned that it would be compared to Sam and Diane on 'Cheers,' so they backed way off. Every once in a while, you'd have an episode where you weren't quite sure what something that happened between Becker and Reggie meant."

Farrell claims her dismissal from "Becker" is unrelated to her not showing up -- along with the other supporting players -- when work on the series' fourth season began last summer over a contract dispute. "Thankfully, it had nothing to do with any of that."

Right now, the actress' life does have a couple of silver linings. The former model and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" veteran has just gotten engaged to actor Brian Baker (currently featured in Sprint PCS commercials), and she stars as a high-school basketball coach in the July 15 Lifetime movie "Crossing the Line."

Farrell considers her time on "Becker" a growth experience that she hopes will pay off in future acting opportunities: "I was fortunate to have a group of writer-producers, including Dave Hackel and Andy Ackerman, who really let you feel you had permission to fail if you tried things. If something didn't work, it was no big deal. It was a team effort, and I got better and better at having confi
Old 02-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

Thanks for the article