Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > Moonlighting
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Moonlighting - Season Four DVD Review

Enjoyed Moonlighting so far? That’s great. Here’s where things start to get problematic. By the third season, the production crew was getting more and more behind schedule -- despite a full production order, the staff only got FOURTEEN shows produced -- hence the small number in this DVD set. In addition, this is the season when ratings begin to slide -- in part due to the frequent reruns, but also due to Maddie and David sleeping together at the end of season three -- the moment many feel the show “jump the shark” (IE: began its downward trend). In addition, due to Bruce’s growing movie career, his skiing accident, Cybill’s pregnancy…it just gets progressively more problematic. Then there’s Walter Bishop.

For the uninitiated -- as I was when I started this review series -- Moonlighting was a drama-comedy hybrid (a “dramedy”) take on the mass of detective series of that era. The show ran on ABC from 1985 for 1989, with a total of 66 episodes. The series revolved cases investigated by Maddie Hayes (Shepherd) and David Addison (Willis), the proprietors of Blue Moon Investigations. Hayes is a former model, who finds herself bankrupt after her accountant embezzles all of her liquid assets. She’s left only with a few failing businesses used as tax write-offs. One of these failed businesses is the agency, helmed by Addison. In the beginning of the show, he convinces her to help run the agency with him. The show also stared Allyce Beasley as Agnes DiPesto, the agency’s receptionist. By season 4, Curtis Armstrong had joined the cast as Herbert Viola. The series was noted both for its use of breaking the fourth wall, as well as its extensive use of fantasy sequences.

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/moonlig...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
laura a
Forum Regular
moonlighting maniac!

You`d better run and take cover after a comment like that
No way did it jump the shark when David and Madde slept together , i mean ( i can`t speak for everyone else on this ) but i feel that it had to lead up to this point regardless of Cybills pregnancy , fair enough they may have been able to keep them apart for one more season but it would have been bordering on the insane . David and Maddie were both consenting adults with no commitments elsewhere and and yes `loved` each other so there was no reason to keep them from sleeping together.
I think people started to change channels because of the fact that David and Maddie stopped being together and even though we had some great episodes with some great cases ,without Bruce and Cybill together that extra special magic just wasn`t there.
At the end of the day i don`t think it would have mattered if they had slept together or not , it`s the events that happened afterwards that did!.

Your thoughts please

Last edited by laura a : 09-30-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
CyBr
Forum Regular

I completely agree with you, Laura. I get so frustrated by the myth that the show went down hill because they slept together. The fans were patient with all the reruns as early as Season 3, but having them apart and some questionable plots twists in Season 4 is what did it. Also, Curtis Armstrong joined the show in Season 3, not Season 4.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
Ro35
Frequent Poster

Just wanted to add an AMEN to that to Laura! I believe true Moonlighting fans don't believe that the show "Jumped The Shark". It was definately the writers fault on the stupid storylines they came up with to keep them apart after they slept together that drove fans away. Other than that Season 4 is a pretty good season. Yes not enough Maddie and David together but still a good season. Way better than most of Season 5. JMHO!

Maddie : I wouldn't want you losing any more sleep over me.
David : Believe me, if and when I ever find myself over you, the last thing I'll be thinking about is sleeping.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:38 AM   #5
jkalen
Frequent Poster
Moonlighting freak

Send a message via MSN to jkalen

What kind of show would it have been if they never had slept together?! I don't even want to think about that! They ABSOLUTELY did not JTS doing it, imo.

Last edited by jkalen : 10-01-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
Tamm
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalen
What kind of show would it have been if they never had slept together?! I don't even want to think about that! They ABSOLUTELY did not JTS doing it, imo.
Totally agree with you. They HAD to get together
Old 10-02-2006, 05:16 AM   #7
Luar
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura a
I think people started to change channels because of the fact that David and Maddie stopped being together and even though we had some great episodes with some great cases ,without Bruce and Cybill together that extra special magic just wasn`t there.
At the end of the day i don`t think it would have mattered if they had slept together or not , it`s the events that happened afterwards that did!.

I perfectly agree with you Laura, I notice that watching now 4th season. I don't know why they don't understand it! I think ML could go still on if writers don't had lead up it to so disappointed ending.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
MulberryGal
Forum Regular

I agree that the show didn't jump the shark because Maddie and David slept together. In fact, the episode after they first slept together (To Heiress Human) was funny, warm and one of the best episodes they ever did. It also didn't JTS because Cybill was pregnant with twins or because Bruce was doing Die Hard or he injured himself. Even though these things caused stress for the show and to the actors and crew themselves.

It went downhill in early Season 4 because the writers started to write storylines and scenes for Maddie and David that weren't true to the characters and weren't true emotionally. (Glenn has admitted how badly he wrote the season 4 opener and that he made mistakes) Bruce and Cybill were having to act against type constantly in early Season 4 and most of Season 5. Cybill has always complained how the writers turned Maddie into a bitch. She's right, the character in Season 4 was awful compared to the complex, stroppy, but ultimately good person Maddie was in Seasons 1-3.

Seasons 1-3 saw Maddie break down many of her initial opinions about David and saw her grow as a person, and yet in early Season 4, she seems to have forgotten everything she'd learnt. We do see her becoming softer and nicer at the end of Season 4, but any hope us fans might have had, was squished in Season 5 with the Annie storyline and David being turned into a completely cold and awful pig. I wont mention Lunar Eclipse....

Let's not forget that Season 3 was personally and professionally stressful for the whole Moonlighting Team, however the writing and production and acting was so good, it didn't matter on screen.

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but I just had to rant for a while!!

Mul
x

Maddie Hayes: I wouldn't want you losing any more sleep over me.
David Addison : Believe me, if and when I ever find myself over you, the last thing I'll be thinking about is sleeping.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
kismet
I'm addicted too!

Maybe the show "jumped the shark" because Cybill didn't "jump the shark", i.e. Glenn Caron.

This idea was talked about on a recent thread on this site. I think it is something many of us have thought about over the years but have been afraid to bring up.

The direction her character took, and the very open and bitter feelings of Mr. Caron, are really starting to gel together.

Didn't you love it when Glenn kept apologizing to Bruce on A Trip To The Moon commentary? How about Glenn apologizes to Cybill for making Maddie into such a witch! When the show started, Maddie was a very likeable and very vulnerable woman. She became the show-bitch as David became the most loveable, likeable, do nothing wrong kind of guy. Everything bad on the show, and off the show, was blamed on Maddie and or Cybill.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
MulberryGal
Forum Regular

I think you might have a point here Kis....

On a related note, it makes me think - when they did that meet up for the Season 3 DVDs, I do wonder whether most of the awkwardness we noticed in that docu was between Glenn and Cybill and not Bruce and Cyb as people might assume. After all, Bruce and Cybill did hug affectionately like old comrades or old college friends who have fallen out of touch - and were very funny together when doing the commentary. I wish that Bruce and Cybill had done the commentary and interview on their own.....

Mul
Old 10-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
laura a
Forum Regular
moonlighting maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismet
Maybe the show "jumped the shark" because Cybill didn't "jump the shark", i.e. Glenn Caron.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with this.but i have a feeling that this is going to be a `sticky ` thread for some
And i remember discussing this and giving my view on this on the thread that Kis mentions

Sorry but i`m going to have to come back and talk later , hubbys just come in and i need to start dinner .

But i`ll be back , i have plenty to say on this.

Ps i liked the way Mulberry said that Bruce and Cybill hugged like old comrades or old collage friends, for a minute there i thought you were going to say PALS!

Last edited by laura a : 10-02-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #12
Tamm
Forum Regular

No not pals, no
Old 10-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #13
laura a
Forum Regular
moonlighting maniac!

Hi , i said i`d get back on this one.
i understand where Kismet is coming from with this theory, Wer`e looking for a reason for why Glenn turned on Cybill like he did.Just to add to what kis is saying
There was that little comment that Glenn made when Bruce was talking about whether David loved Maddie or was just about the sex,which was something about everyone wanting the one person that they can`t have in life and people wanting the ying to their yang.
It may have mean`t nothing or it may have mean`t everything!

Like i said on the other thread i think that Glenn was incredible in ore of what Bruce and Cybill had maybe wished he could have been in Bruces shoes
so i think Glenn lived out his fantasies through David and Maddie which mean`t he was always in control of what happened in their relationship at least on-screen.
So maybe as he saw Bruce and Cybills off-screen relationship start to blossom he tried to keep him self in the loop and ( bare in mind in a lot of articles when ever Glenn was asked or talked about Bruce and Cybills great chemistry he always put himself in the picture too and to me he looked at it as some kind of three-some( no pun intended ).So maybe by chumming up with Bruce and focusing on Davids character and changing Maddie nearly beyond recognition was his way of saying " i don`t care how close you two get this is my show and i still have total control over the characters and therefore the actors who portray them.

Now don`t get me wrong Glenn was and is a great writer and even today is churning out great shows like Medium which i never miss but i do wonder if Glenn let his personal feelings cloud his judgement on a lot of the issues we have discussed on here.

Anyone else like to put their pennysworth in?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 AM   #14
MulberryGal
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamm
No not pals, no

Oooh no, never 'pals'!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #15
ovrthmn
Occasional Poster

Angry

I totally agree with you laura a. I have said this on some of my previous posts. There was definitely a personal agenda with Glen. Cybill was "the girl who was out of reach", yet he could have power over her by demonizing her character Maddie. I think he lived vicariously through Bruce/David and when he saw any connection or pairing of B & C on screen or off, he sabatoged it. What I can't believe is how vindictive and nasty he is still to this day. It really makes me cringe whenever I watch/hear the commentaries. He takes shots of Cybill at any chance he can get. On the most recent commentary with Bruce, he TOTALLY ignores Cybill's performance in the Honeymooners sequence, while mentioning EVERYONE. Come on Glen. And what was all of the apologizing about David loving Maddie????? I think those scenes were so sweet and sincere, showing David's growth. The two of them (Bruce & Glen) were so horrified with David admitting that he loved Maddie....I don't get it. I was also sick of hearing Glen say over and over again how he did not remember writing any of that episode. Instead of just admitting how or why he did not remain true to the characters and their situation and going forward and being able to make the storyline work, he's hiding behind excuses of memory lapses, Cybill's pregnancy, the "it was over when they had sex" line, etc...... He dropped the ball because of some stupid personal agenda, was punishing Cybill, and that is why the show suffered...period. The blame lands squarely on his shoulders. I had always thought that Cybill got the raw end of the deal whenever the show's demise was blamed on her, but now even more so. If it makes ME so sick to hear Glen babble on and on about it now, could you imagine what it must have been like for her to work in that environment back then???? I am amazed she lasted as long as she did!

Sorry........I'm ranting. Anyone else?