Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

BET Fall 2014 Schedule with Fresh Prince; Michael Che Will Join Colin Jost at SNL Weekend Update Desk
Centic Fall 2014 Schedule; Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies to Move to Hallmark Channel
Summer 2014 Week 16 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilots Coming Together for 2015-2016 TV Season (and a Full House Update); New VEI Releases
SitcomsOnline Book Club - Soap: The Unauthorized Inside Story of the Sitcom That Broke All the Rules; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 15, 2014)
CMT Fall 2014 Schedule with Raising Hope; Nurse Jackie to End in 2015 After 7 Seasons
Nick at Nite Orders 3rd Season of Instant Mom; The Simpsons Take the Bowl on FXX Thursday with Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: Was Dale Kerstetter abducted or a co-conspirator?
Abducted 117 74.52%
In on it 40 25.48%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
greatgarrett2
Forum Regular

Default Dale Kerstetter

Greetings,

As you all know Dale Kerstetter is the man who disappeared from a Bradford, PA Platinum Plant in 1987. The events surrounding and the disappearance itself I'm split 50/50 on. This case has been discussed on the forum before.

What do you think? Was he himself abducted or was he a co-conspirator?

The way he looked at the security camera had me thinking this guy could be saying "Hey, look at me, I'm taking your platinum and there's not a thing you can do about it." But the other half of me thinks, why would he leave a secure job and all his social supports?

Abducted?

Or, Co-conspirator?

"If we don't know something, then our model of reality is inadequate"

Start making money today:

http://tasks4job.com/?refer=55797

http://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Campbe...8662355&sr=8-5

Plus, follow me on twitter:
https://twitter.com/greatgarrett2
Old 08-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
peachysquirt21
Forum Regular

I'm not sure about this one. If I remember right, it was brought up that he had gotten a pay cut & was not all too happy about it. I guess that could be a reason to get pissed at the company & come up with something like this then again not. I really cannot understand why anyone would wanna leave there family behind & stage something like this. I do wish we could have seen the original security tape.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

I find this one fascinating. I go with co-conspirator, who was then killed for no longer being necessary - why cut the pie too many ways.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
wiseguy182

Tighthead has a good theory, that Dale was both in on it and abducted - distinctly possible. I voted for that I thought he was abducted, but I wouldn't be totally suprised if it was the other way around. This is one of the ones I'm kinda split 50/50 on, and it was one of the segments I mentioned in my 50/50 thread I started awhile back. In fact, this clip is one of the ones tied for first place in that thread, meaning that it was one of the segments that the most posters were tied 50/50 on. So this could be a close race. No doubt one of the classic cases and one that leaves you thinking.

The reason I voted for that I thought he was abducted was that he was a lifelong member of the community, and had worked for the plant for several decades I believe. He was also instrumental in saving somebody's life and some equipment I believe the segment stated. I just find it a little hard to believe that the man would build up a reputation his whole life and then shatter it one night out of the blue, leaving his family, job and community behind.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
Awsi Dooger

Well, I don't even remember what I posted regarding this case previously.

crystaldawn, you may be right about me.

At least this time I understand why it says I already voted.

He seemed like a simple guy who wouldn't have been clever or ambitious or desperate enough to pull a stunt like this, even as a cohort. But I wouldn't be surprised if he talked too much or answered too many questions, from people who were looking to rob the place and correctly identified Kerstetter as a vulnerable target.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

I honestly dont know what to think about this case either. There are so many unanswered questions. As far as Kerstetter not being clever enough a lot of small town people and factory workers seem this way but in fact are a lot smarter and saavy than they appear. One thing is for sure, Kerstetter would have had the motive to steal the platinum. As they said in the interview, Kerstetter was not a happy man at the time he disappeared. Kerstetter had been transferred from the shop section of the plant to security which caused him to take a 5 to 7 thousand dollar a year pay cut. Kerstetter also might have felt a lot of personal pressure and might have been desperate to escape from his life because not only had he taken a paycut but was 30 to 40 grand in debt on various bills that he could not pay. What also got me was how Kerstetter's son whom lived with Kerstetter still said that he didnt think his dad would have been involved in the theft but then in the same sentence did an about face and said if he did it that he would come back in 7 years when the statute of limitations expired and they wouldnt be able to touch him. That stuck with me and told me perhaps the son knows more about this than what he is saying. Also the unusual locations where Kerstetter's son said that Kerstetter would have fled to had he been involved. How we have any way of knowing that unless Kerstetter had talked about it previously? It seemed the bosses at the plant didnt think too highly of Kerstetter. Usually after someone has disappeared the person could be a total scumbag and people will talk pretty highly of them. I was surprised to hear one of the bosses at the plant refer to Kerstetter as a marginal employee. About how they had problems with him in the past. I doubt very much that Kerstetter was surprised by an intruder and was abducted. I do however think it is also possible that Kerstetter could have been in on it and then after the heist was murdered when his co conspirator or co conspirators got greedy and figured why share when they could have the whole thing. I have also wondered if Kerstetters son could have been involved either indirectly or directly in this. His demeanor just told me he knows more than what he is saying. Maybe it just me being paranoid, who knows? Just a theory though.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #7
wiseguy182

Another reason I tend to lean that Dale was abducted and subsequently murdered was that he probably would have resurfaced by now for two reasons: the statute of limitations expiring and him missing his family. He definintely appeared to be a family man. Given that the intruder seemed to know where to go, I would imagine it was either a past or current employee. I do agree, however, that the son seemed a little shady. The rest of his family appeared legitimately concerned, unless they're doing a really good acting job.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well I agree with you there that the guy with the mask either was a current or former employee of the plant. He simply knew where everything was and moved around so fast he had been in that building many times before. The reason why I think Kerstetter might have been in on it is because I am sure over night they locked the doors of the plant so someone could not get in from the outside. That leads me to believe that Kersetter possibly let the person in. However that is also troubling that if he did participate and it and wasnt killed why he didnt come back when the statue of limitations was up? However I do find that really odd how is son seemed to know what his dad would do had he done it, how he would know about the statue of limitations and other things. I just have that feeling from the son that he knows more about all of this than he is letting on. I have the feeling the chances are better than not that Kersetter was involved. Just the way he talked to the masked man. About how they seemed to be conversing like they knew each other more than the masked man shouting demands. It didnt look like there was any evidence that the masked man had a weapon.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
ForeverPluto
Frequent Poster

I saw this seggie too. I don't see Dale being killed because to me that would be too much work...too much work to deal with taking al the platinum and a dead body. I think Dale and maybe some other ticked off employee were in on all of it. As for him still being alive, I'm not sure. I think maybe the accomplice might have turned on Dale and killed him after the fact. That would probably explain why no one has heard from him since????
Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
mikem7715
Frequent Poster

i think if alive,he would have come back after statute of limitations was up,unless he was to ashamed to face his family
Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
ForeverPluto
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem7715
i think if alive,he would have come back after statute of limitations was up,unless he was to ashamed to face his family
well maybe not his son. I always thought it was a little strange that his son made that quip about him going to Australia or Canada and coming back after the statute of limitations are up???????? very weird...
Old 02-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #12
wiseguy182

The more time passes, the more I think Dale is innocent. I got a bad vibe off of the employer guy. Why would he call Dale a marginal employee? A person that is a marginal employee doesn't last 27 years at a job, nor do they get put in a security guard position. At least they shouldn't. Plus, this was the guy that saved lives on the job, and a high amount in merchandise, and risked his life in the process.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
SP4CE INV4DERZ
Forum Regular
40-0 0WN3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
The more time passes, the more I think Dale is innocent. I got a bad vibe off of the employer guy. Why would he call Dale a marginal employee? A person that is a marginal employee doesn't last 27 years at a job, nor do they get put in a security guard position. At least they shouldn't. Plus, this was the guy that saved lives on the job, and a high amount in merchandise, and risked his life in the process.

lol again of course I perhaps lean the other way. Still I'm really not sure what exactly happened to Dale. His actions on the videotape are questionable of an innocent person but if he was in on it, why hasn't he returned or contacted his family that we know of. So one question I'd really like answered is where is Dale Kerstetter?

Also I guess during the 27 years he worked I assume it was easy to get hired and fired from a job in those days so it's a good point you raise there about a marginal employee lasting that long. Then again, maybe he had a aweful lot of time to think about things... who knows?

One thing for sure, it's definately one of the best UM cases!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #14
JacopoBelbo
Occasional Poster

Default Iím amazed to see people still interested in this case.

I was Dale's son-in-law, and while I have not had any contact with anyone in the family since his daughter I separated shortly before the incident occurred, I often think about Dale and the family and wonder what did, in fact, occur that day.

Dale was an outdoorsman. He camped and fished, and probably preferred isolation over kinship (unless there was drink involved). That was just my impression. When his daughter and I would visit from the D.C. area we would often meet at his favorite watering hole south of Bradford. On at least one occasion he joked about leaving everything behind and moving to a remote, uninhabited region of Canada. I have not seen the episode since it originally aired but apparently Al (his son) mentioned something about this also, but their discussion would have occurred at another time as ours took place in a bar. Very interesting. I remember thinking that that was an odd comment but I neglected to discuss it further. But perhaps germane to my recollection of what occurred is the fact that he did have at least one friend who was involved in ventures unknown. He appeared to be financially secure, yet he could not reasonably account (perhaps because he did not feel compelled to do so) for how he came about his financial success. This friend wore a Rolex and supported a young woman and her daughter in his fairly large house with an elevator while Dale lived in a trailer with little heat in the frigid Pennsylvania winters. This brush with success while not his own may have been causal in leading Dale down the path of felonious activity, but I cannot say for sure. Itís just something Iíve always comfortably pondered as Iíve always preferred to think of him as a ďco-conspiratorĒ and not as a victim.

Iím fairly certain that his son has no knowledge of the details of what occurred, nor would any of his family members.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #15
UMfan0682
Frequent Poster

Wow, thanks for posting JacopoBelbo! Yes, this is a popular UM segments here on the boards. I've always been 50/50 on this case. Dale seemed like a really good person, and as his kids had said in the interviews that money would not be a motive, I've always thought of how tempting a crate of platinum would be. When UM created the security camera footage, and Dale looks right into the camera, it always looked like to me he was sending a message that he was going to be rich in a few hours...