Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > Dallas (1978-1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Dallas - The Complete Fifth Season DVD Review

Another season, another explosive set of episodes. DALLAS was the hugely popular nighttime soap that ran on CBS from 1978 through 1991 is back on DVD in this 5 disc box set. The fifth season of the series stars, in alphabetical order, Barbara Bel Geddes, Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Larry Hagman, Susan Howard, Steve Kanaly, Ken Kercheval, Victoria Principal and Charlene Tilton.

This year, the Ewings face divorce, a custody battle, an adoption with a twist, financial ruin, murder, kidnapping and a couple of suicide attempts! It's just another day at Southfork!

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/dallass...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Ireneparalegal
Forum Celebrity
LEGAL SPICE ;)

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Going to buy it tomorrow!!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Got this DVD set the day it came out (August 1st) and I'm already on Disc 3 when, sadly, the family is coming to terms with Jock's death. I only came to be a regular viewer of the show around the time that Bobby was shot, so it's been a real trip buying these season sets and seeing how everything began.

I'm enjoying the debut of Katherine Wentworth and seeing the subtleties of how evil she became. You can definitely see the underpinings of it. Perhaps evil is an exaggeration. Crazyness perhaps? The only drawback to seeing her crazed persona unfold is knowing that, in order to so, we have to lose Priscilla Pointer's character, Rebecca. I really enjoy Rebecca and it's a pity that she wasn't able to stay on.

Half way through Season 5 already and rumor has it that Season 6 is scheduled for December 2006 in time for Christmas. Is this true? I hope the sets sell well enough so that we have ALL seasons eventually (or at least the years I'm familiar with, which is from Bobby's shooting to when Sue Ellen blackmails JR with a film about his life).

Hopefully the upcoming DALLAS film will be enough of a hit to help sustain healthy sales for the DVD sets. Judging from how many have posted about the release of Season 5, I must say I'm a little concerned. I remember before DALLAS was ever released, people couldn't shut up about getting it to DVD. Now that it has, practically nothing is discussed. I hope this doesn't mean people aren't buying the sets...

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Ed
Old 08-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster2973
Got this DVD set the day it came out (August 1st) and I'm already on Disc 3 when, sadly, the family is coming to terms with Jock's death. I only came to be a regular viewer of the show around the time that Bobby was shot, so it's been a real trip buying these season sets and seeing how everything began.

I'm enjoying the debut of Katherine Wentworth and seeing the subtleties of how evil she became. You can definitely see the underpinings of it. Perhaps evil is an exaggeration. Crazyness perhaps? The only drawback to seeing her crazed persona unfold is knowing that, in order to so, we have to lose Priscilla Pointer's character, Rebecca. I really enjoy Rebecca and it's a pity that she wasn't able to stay on.

Half way through Season 5 already and rumor has it that Season 6 is scheduled for December 2006 in time for Christmas. Is this true? I hope the sets sell well enough so that we have ALL seasons eventually (or at least the years I'm familiar with, which is from Bobby's shooting to when Sue Ellen blackmails JR with a film about his life).

Hopefully the upcoming DALLAS film will be enough of a hit to help sustain healthy sales for the DVD sets. Judging from how many have posted about the release of Season 5, I must say I'm a little concerned. I remember before DALLAS was ever released, people couldn't shut up about getting it to DVD. Now that it has, practically nothing is discussed. I hope this doesn't mean people aren't buying the sets...

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Ed
I'm really worried about the DVD sales after we get to the dream season because that's the point where a lot of fans stop watching. I hope all the seasons plus the reunion movies are released on DVD.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Walk The Line
I'm really worried about the DVD sales after we get to the dream season because that's the point where a lot of fans stop watching. I hope all the seasons plus the reunion movies are released on DVD.

I concur. It wasn't the best time in DALLAS history, was it. Still, hopefully the movie by then will see release at around the same time that the dream season hits, thereby giving it a boost to help sales. Me, I actually like the dream season and would've preferred that they continue in that direction, even at the loss of Bobby. The downward spiral of the show by then meant the eventual loss of Pam, Donna, Jenna, Ray and eventually Miss Ellie. Too high a price to pay for one character and as much as I loved Bobby Ewing, even he wasn't worth that...

In any case, time will tell if we end up with the whole series on DVD. Keep hoping and keep buying!

Ed
Old 08-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

This was the best season of the early years of Dallas. There's a rumor going around the Oil Baron's forum on Ultimate Dallas that season 6 might be out in December.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Dawn
This was the best season of the early years of Dallas. There's a rumor going around the Oil Baron's forum on Ultimate Dallas that season 6 might be out in December.

I hope so. That would be a great Christmas present.

I think the first 8 seasons were all great. The only downside was Donna Reed replacing BBG in season 8.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
Ireneparalegal
Forum Celebrity
LEGAL SPICE ;)

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

I bought the DVD...

I slowly stopped watching DALLAS when Pam was "burned" in that horrible accident. Her leaving Bobby and her son so she could deal with her injuries was a very weak storyline. It wasn't something Pam would do. And it was annoying that a year after Bobby comes back we end up losing Pam, so what was the point of bringing Bobby back? I gave up on DALLAS at that point. Not to mention Bobby eventually marrying April...a woman who slept with J.R.; Bobby never wanted to deal with a woman who was with J.R., so seeing Bobby end up with her was so unrealistic.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
TV Guy

I agree with Irene - losing Pam was the death knell for this show. J.R. was obviously the most important character on the show, but Bobby and Pam were almost as important - whenever one of them was absent, the show suffered. Without Pam, the original Romeo & Juliet premise was gone. The way Pam was written out was just silly - there's no way she would have abandoned her child, especially considering her background. I think they would have been better off recasting - they could have put her out of the way in a coma for a while, and gradually introduced a new actress. It would have been tough, but better than killing her off or burning her up.

I do hope they get to season nine (well, 10 if you go by WB's numbering scheme) - that was the last great season, with Bobby back and he and Pam remarried

I'm watching season four (well, five) right now and I have to say the early episodes are a little slow. The Sue Ellen/Southern Cross thing bores me, Pam's attempted suicide is completely out of character, and Jock's absence seems awkward and contrived (he's away on business in South America - please). I'm looking forward to the episodes where J.R. and Bobby and fighting for control of the company, per Jock's will.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
I agree with Irene - losing Pam was the death knell for this show. J.R. was obviously the most important character on the show, but Bobby and Pam were almost as important - whenever one of them was absent, the show suffered. Without Pam, the original Romeo & Juliet premise was gone. The way Pam was written out was just silly - there's no way she would have abandoned her child, especially considering her background. I think they would have been better off recasting - they could have put her out of the way in a coma for a while, and gradually introduced a new actress. It would have been tough, but better than killing her off or burning her up.

I do hope they get to season nine (well, 10 if you go by WB's numbering scheme) - that was the last great season, with Bobby back and he and Pam remarried

I'm watching season four (well, five) right now and I have to say the early episodes are a little slow. The Sue Ellen/Southern Cross thing bores me, Pam's attempted suicide is completely out of character, and Jock's absence seems awkward and contrived (he's away on business in South America - please). I'm looking forward to the episodes where J.R. and Bobby and fighting for control of the company, per Jock's will.
The worst storyline of the later seasons was when Bobby started dating Jeanne the Pam look-a-like. Ugghh.

Their was some talk back then of Pamela Sue Martin replacing Victoria. I wish that would have happened.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Walk The Line
The worst storyline of the later seasons was when Bobby started dating Jeanne the Pam look-a-like. Ugghh.

Their was some talk back then of Pamela Sue Martin replacing Victoria. I wish that would have happened.

I don't remember this at all, but then again, I stopped watching right around the time Victoria left. Not due to disinterest but I was in jr.high/high school then and was going out more and working so Dallas wasn't a priority. I hope they get that far with the DVDs so I could watch this era. I don't expect it to compare with the earlier seasons but the completist in me wants ALL of the seasons, the good and the bad. For me I don't see the point in having an incomplete series. Hopefully sales will keep up during the later seasons of the show. I'd love to see how Susan Lucci and Sasha Mitchell entered the show. Again, I've never seen this era.

How close to looking like Pam was this Jeanne person? Who was the actress? And as far as Pamela Sue Martin replacing Victoria Principal, I think that could've worked IF Pam had reverted to her earlier tomboyish self. But I think by the time Victoria left, Pam was more mature and regal and more calm as a personality and I don't know if Pamela Sue Martin could've pulled that off. Who knows, perhaps she could've done the role justice. Anyone know why she never took over the role?

Ed
Old 08-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #12
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster2973
I don't remember this at all, but then again, I stopped watching right around the time Victoria left. Not due to disinterest but I was in jr.high/high school then and was going out more and working so Dallas wasn't a priority. I hope they get that far with the DVDs so I could watch this era. I don't expect it to compare with the earlier seasons but the completist in me wants ALL of the seasons, the good and the bad. For me I don't see the point in having an incomplete series. Hopefully sales will keep up during the later seasons of the show. I'd love to see how Susan Lucci and Sasha Mitchell entered the show. Again, I've never seen this era.

How close to looking like Pam was this Jeanne person? Who was the actress? And as far as Pamela Sue Martin replacing Victoria Principal, I think that could've worked IF Pam had reverted to her earlier tomboyish self. But I think by the time Victoria left, Pam was more mature and regal and more calm as a personality and I don't know if Pamela Sue Martin could've pulled that off. Who knows, perhaps she could've done the role justice. Anyone know why she never took over the role?

Ed
The actress who played her was named Margaret Michaels. I had never seen her before. I don't want to give anything away since you haven't seen these episodes but she did play Pam in one episode the season before. It was an attempt to give Pam some closure ( her and Bobby finally talked ), still I think it created more problems then it solved. When she played Pam they had the room that they were in very dark so she sort of resembled her but that's about it. She wasn't a very good actress. Also since Pam was severely burned I guess she wouldn't look like she used too. The Jeanne storyline was just strange. He stopped seeing April so he could go and chase ghosts.

As far as Pamela Sue...I really don't know. I think I heard she was tired of doing soaps and needed a break. I know the actress who replaced her on Dynasty wasn"t any good.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
TV Guy

What was really odd was that when Bobby started dating Jeanne, the Pam "lookalike", Cliff saw her and said, "She looks just like Pam after her surgery". I guess that was the writers' way of explaining that Jeanne was a lookalike for post-surgery Pam, not Victoria Principal. Strange that they felt this comment was necessary, though. If we could believe that Donna Reed was Miss Ellie, then we could believe that Jeanne looked like Pam.

If you want to see Pam's final appearance on the show (when Michaels played the role), go to http://www.ultimatedallas.com/multimedia/ and select "Pam says goodbye" under Season 11. The quality isn't that great, but you at least can see how they handled the situation.

Pamela Sue Martin was never offered the role of Pam. I remember reading that rumor as well, but USA Today had an interesting short article at the time about Michaels when she appeared as Pam (I still have it clipped somewhere). It acknowledged the rumor about Martin, but said that Larry Hagman was adamently against anyone beside Principal playing Pam on an ongoing basis. Apparently, he didn't like how the Miss Ellie recast went over, and he didn't want any major character to be recast again.