Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #46
boco357
Frequent Poster
Not Muhammad Ali

http://www.kval.com/news/local/10805116.html

Story Published: Oct 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM PST
By Tim Novotny
Coquille - Coos County investigators say the death in prison this week of Terry Lee Steinhoff could help bring closure to another case that dates back over 20 years.

On August 14, 1986, 14 year old Jeremy Bright was spending a day at the Coos County Fair. He hasn't been seen since.

Listed as a non-family abduction, investigators now say Terry Lee Steinhoff was a person of significant interest in the case, as he was one of the last people seen with Bright.

In 1988, Steinhoff killed a Coos Bay woman and was sent to prison, but he was eligible for parole.

Investigators believe some people stayed silent out of fear of Steinhoff and are hoping they will now come forward.

And in an e-mail to KCBY on Thursday, Bright's younger sister S'te(pronounced ess-tee), also expressed the hope that anyone with information on his disappearance, or the location of his remains, will come forward so his family can put him to rest properly.

Anyone with information on the disappearance of Jeremy Bright is asked to contact Detective Dan Looney, with the Coos County Sheriff's Office, at 396-3121 extension 378.

www.fatty357.com
Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #47
boco357
Frequent Poster
Not Muhammad Ali

http://www.theworldlink.com/articles...pn01072807.txt

Still missing after 21 years

By Carl Mickelson, Staff Writer
Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

Sitting in the kitchen of her Coos Bay home, Diane Beatty recalls the day, 21 years ago, that her 14-year-old son Jeremy Bright went missing from the Coos County Fair. No trace of the boy has been found since the day in August 1986 he was to meet up with his little sister at the fairgrounds in Myrtle Point. World Photo by Lou Sennick

Available in 10", 14", 20" & 30", framed or unframedAdvertisement
EASTSIDE - If there's a month that Diane Beatty would like back, it would be August 1986. It was then that her 14-year-old son, Jeremy Bright, went to the Coos County Fair and vanished from the earth.

“He was here for a week during the fair,” Beatty, 52, said from her Eastside home this week as she pored over photos of her missing son from a time when Pac-Man and Van Halen were all the rage. “He was only here for a week. If I would have said, ‘No,' about him coming up to the fair, I would still have him.”

But she didn't say no.

Who would? Jeremy and his 9-year-old sister S'te (the French abbreviation for Saint and pronounced “Ess-tee”), had both grown up in Myrtle Point and they loved the fair. Their stepfather, Orville “Ole” Gulseth of Myrtle Point, had offered to take them in for a week that summer.

“My brother and I never missed the fair,” said his sister S'te Elmore, who is now married and living in San Diego.

For that last year, Beatty and the children had been living in Grants Pass. Beatty and “Ole” were finished, and Beatty was carving a new life for herself so she wouldn't be tending bar the rest of her life.

“Instead of them veggin' in Grants Pass for a week, while I worked and went to school, I thought that would be a great little trip for them,” she said, noting the children's grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all lived in Myrtle Point.

“I have regretted it ever since.”

qqq

On Aug. 14, Jeremy Bright will have been missing for 21 years - an eternity for his mother. For the Coos County Sheriff's Office, it's a missing person and potential homicide case.

Beatty and investigators hope that by bringing the incident back into the public eye, someone will come forward with a new clue, a new lead, or a confession.

“If it's something that hasn't been visited before, that might be the piece of the puzzle that we're missing,” said Beatty, who lives full-time in Florida but who has been coming back every summer since she moved away in 1998. “He's out here somewhere.”

While no one has ever been arrested in the case, dozens of people have been questioned, log and beaver ponds have been drained in search of his body, scuba divers have explored wells, swamps and rivers, and various potential gravesites across the county have been dug up.

“Anything that looked like it had any substance, we put every effort into it to try and either find something that would help, or put an end to that rumor,” said former Coos County investigator Craig Zanni, who worked the case from 1991 to 2004.

But so far - nothing.

“It's all been valleys,” Beatty said. “There have not been any peaks. We have found nothing.”

The case is still considered a missing person and potential homicide case, Zanni said. His former colleague who handles the case now, Coos County Det. Sgt. Dan Looney, agreed.

“We believe he is still in the county somewhere - not alive,” said Looney, who tracked down leads surrounding Jeremy as recently as last winter. The two investigators are convinced someone in the county knows exactly what happened to Jeremy that fateful night.

“I would be willing to put money on it,” Zanni said Thursday as he worked a booth at the fair.

While Beatty cradles a glimmer of hope that Jeremy will come around a corner some day, she knows the chance is slim.

But she can't help but hope.

“You see on the news they find people that had been gone for 10 years,” Beatty said, noting a recent case in Missouri.

But that case involved teenagers. She said she had her hopes up that when Jeremy turned 18, he might return. He would have turned 35 this past May.

“In my heart I don't believe he would have been gone this long, if he had any choice,” Beatty said. “Some day ... some day, that's my last wish: To find him.”

qqq

On Thursday, Aug. 14, 1986, Beatty spoke to Jeremy, her only son, for the last time. He was on a payphone outside McKay's Market in Myrtle Point and she was in Grants Pass. She promised to pick the two of them up Saturday. Jeremy told her about his trip so far, and that he was going to pick S'te up at the fair at 5 p.m. Elmore said her brother was supposed to meet her at the Ferris wheel.

“Jeremy never showed up,” Beatty said.

Before going to the police, Beatty and her family spent much of Saturday searching for him. The family plastered missing posters throughout Myrtle Point in coming weeks, Elmore said. Nearly everyone Beatty bumped into saw Jeremy on Thursday, but not Friday.

“It was like he was beamed up,” she said.

And ever since, the rumors about Jeremy's disappearance have swirled: He was abducted by a demented carnival worker; he was shot and buried in the hills or dumped in a pond by a local; he was drugged at a beer party and killed; he ran away with the carnival.

Shortly after he disappeared, Beatty contacted the Myrtle Point Police Department. The chief told her not to worry. Jeremy wasn't missing. He'd be back as soon as the fair rolled out of town.

“Well, evidently the fair isn't gone because he hasn't come back,” Beatty said dejectedly.

At the time, S'te remembers informing police that she had seen Jeremy talking to two guys whom she did not recognize.

“For whatever reason, the (officer) I talked to didn't believe me,” Elmore said. “They thought I was making up a story to help out. But, I had seen him leave with these people. He did.”

Beatty's never subscribed to the runaway theory. Jeremy was protective of his kid sister and never would have left her alone. Besides, he didn't take his wallet or extra clothes. Investigators don't buy the runaway theory either. They believe that, despite the passing of 21 years, some people of interest still aren't coming clean.

“They would rather not say anything than do the right thing,” Zanni said. “We have a bunch of people that aren't telling the police anything. They should come forward. The family at least deserves to know. To put Jeremy to rest - and the burden on the mom and the sister.”

Elmore said her family needs closure about Jeremy.

“After this many years it seems like somebody would be willing to say something,” Elmore said. “Even if it was just to (say) where Jeremy is. Even if they called it in anonymously and said, ‘This is where he is. This is where you can find him.'”

She wants people to come forward and clear their conscience.

“To live with that knowledge for 20 years, and not say anything, has got to be torture,” Elmore said.

qqq

In a small town like Myrtle Point in the 1980s, “where everybody knew everybody,” Beatty said, you could let a 14-year-old roam about. Especially one that was so popular and never got into trouble.

“He had run of the town since he was 5,” she said. “Everybody knew him.”

Beatty can't help but think that Jeremy may have died in some horrible manner. Elmore said at least one of Jeremy's close friends began having nightmares shortly after his disappearance, and has battled alcohol addiction ever since. Beatty believes the friend's problems stem from whatever happened to Jeremy.

Through the various interviews Zanni has conducted, he said he thinks Jeremy wasn't a bad kid, but may have been somewhat troubled due to the breakup in the family - what would be expected from “a family going through a divorce.”

Jeremy went missing the summer before entering high school. He had been a standout basketball player, a so-called “sixth man,” who wore a size 13 shoe. He was convinced he would make the team at his new school in Southern Oregon. Elmore said her brother also coached her basketball team at the Boys & Girls Club in Grants Pass and had never run away from home.

Beatty said Jeremy's grades had slumped somewhat in Grants Pass. They had moved there in the middle of his eighth-grade year. She chalked it up to him simply getting used to a new school setting. Wanting to help smooth the transition into high school, a few weeks before his disappearance, the two embarked on the proverbial clothes shopping spree. Jeremy picked out a pair of Levis, several button-down shirts and pair of black Nike tennis shoes with red shoe laces.

They're the same shoes he was last seen wearing and the ones listed since the 1980s on the poster declaring him a missing person.

qqq

After three months of hanging onto the case, Myrtle Point investigators turned it over to the Coos County Sheriff's Office, which Beatty said, tracked Jeremy's whereabouts through part of Aug. 15. Investigators won't reveal that information, but Zanni said some people of interest have never been cleared due to their lack of cooperation.

Investigators, Beatty and her family still hope one day the case will break, as it did, partially, with the case of Leah Freeman, a 15-year-old girl last seen alive in Coquille in 2000. A little more than a month after she disappeared, her body was found about nine miles east of Coquille. But police have yet to make an arrest in the case, due to lack of evidence.

While Beatty feels the Sheriff's Office has done everything it could on the case, she still can't help but express grave frustration over the lost time that transpired while the case was in the hands of the Myrtle Point Police Department.

“My personal opinion is that if (Myrtle Point Police officials) had turned it over three months earlier - we would have had a whole lot better chance of finding out what happened,” she said.

qqq

At the moment, Beatty said she is not looking for retribution, or justice - simply peace for herself, her family and Jeremy. Living with out knowing if your child is alive or dead is “indescribable,” she said, adding she was somewhat jealous the Freemans' had, at least a partial ending, however tragic.

“I just want most to put him to rest - his spirit, his soul,” she said. “My quest isn't to find the perpetrator. It's just to find him.”

qqq

In 1989, the Jeremy Bright case was featured on the national network television show “Unsolved Mysteries.” The segment still airs occasionally and the proposed scenarios are still bandied about by bloggers on the Internet.

Still, authorities and the family hope that one day the case will be cracked.

“I always hope that someone will think, ‘Well. OK, it's time for me to talk,'” Looney said.

- Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Jeremy Bright is urged to contact Det. Sgt. Dan Looney at 396-3121 ext. 378.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #48
crystaldawn

Wow, great find Boco! I'm assuming he is the same man that RS referred to when he said at the end of the segment one of the suspects in the case had recently been arrested for an unrelated crime. I wonder if they know any other details about the case like an idea where Jeremy's body was placed and if his death was intentional or accidental.

I would certainly think it would be strange if Jeremy was allowed to be gone, without any word to his family, for several days as well Allierain.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #49
joshypiano
Forum Regular
Stack-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allierain
You know, I've often wondered why a 14 year-old boy was out unsupervised like Jeremy was. Maybe I am being silly, and perhaps it was perfectly natural for a boy of his age to be off doing things on his own for days at a time. But it just doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it's because I wasn't allowed to be off by myself like that when I was that age.

Is there anyone else here who was?

Well my parents pretty much trusted me. I could go off and be at a friends or whatever for a few days at a time..as long as I phoned in once a day...or so.
But as for several days at a time. It feels a little weird to me, and kind of moves beyond trust to unattentive maybe. But if he was a good kid who never gave his family pause to be concerned, and the friends he was with were trusted by the family then it might not be so strange after all.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #50
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boco357
In 1989, the Jeremy Bright case was featured on the national network television show “Unsolved Mysteries.” The segment still airs occasionally and the proposed scenarios are still bandied about by bloggers on the Internet.

Could they be referring to us?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #51
joshypiano
Forum Regular
Stack-a-holic

Well, there is alot of bandying about being done here....so I'd say....
yes!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #52
GaryJ06
Frequent Poster

hey maybe press is good (bandying about lol). i think it lets people know that there are those (i.e. us) that still care about what has happened after all these years
Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #53
hostedbyrobertstack
Frequent Poster

That is great to read! Interesting that his sister lives in SD and mom lives in FL. It's too bad they haven't come on this site and posted anything, especially if we were mentioned in that article. Anyways, this has always been one of the most interesting segments to me, and I am getting excited that it might be close to being solved. That would be great!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #54
Ste-E
Occasional Poster

Default I'm Jeremy's "little" sister

I don't even know where to start.

Thank you Bob for letting me know that this thread existed. This site has never come up in a search of my brothers name. Also thank you to all who are here. Just the fact that there are people out there who care that my brother is gone, that we are still searching for him, and want to see closure to this story means a lot. As I was reading through this thread the tears started falling. Sometimes it feels as if no one cares anymore or thinks about him.

So I guess I should introduce myself. I'm S'te, Jeremy's younger sister. I know that there are lots of questions regarding this case and feel free to ask me. If I know the answer then I'm willing to put it out there. I'll let you all ask the questions and then I'll quote them and answer so that it's in the same post for anyone else who is interested.

I know that Jeremy is most likely passed away. I've accepted that. Now I just want to know what happened to him. If anyone can help me find that answer I'd be forever grateful.

Please now that it may take me a little time to get back to you though. I am a mom to 10 kids, my hubby is in the Navy and we are in the midst of an arrest and subsequent proceedings having to do with the death of our beloved foster daughter.

I have lived through the loss of both a brother and a child. We are finally coming to a conclusion in our daughters death and it would be such WONDERFUL news if we could do the same, after all these years, with my brother also.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #55
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste-E
I don't even know where to start.

Thank you Bob for letting me know that this thread existed. This site has never come up in a search of my brothers name. Also thank you to all who are here. Just the fact that there are people out there who care that my brother is gone, that we are still searching for him, and want to see closure to this story means a lot. As I was reading through this thread the tears started falling. Sometimes it feels as if no one cares anymore or thinks about him.

So I guess I should introduce myself. I'm S'te, Jeremy's younger sister. I know that there are lots of questions regarding this case and feel free to ask me. If I know the answer then I'm willing to put it out there. I'll let you all ask the questions and then I'll quote them and answer so that it's in the same post for anyone else who is interested.

I know that Jeremy is most likely passed away. I've accepted that. Now I just want to know what happened to him. If anyone can help me find that answer I'd be forever grateful.

Please now that it may take me a little time to get back to you though. I am a mom to 10 kids, my hubby is in the Navy and we are in the midst of an arrest and subsequent proceedings having to do with the death of our beloved foster daughter.

I have lived through the loss of both a brother and a child. We are finally coming to a conclusion in our daughters death and it would be such WONDERFUL news if we could do the same, after all these years, with my brother also.

Welcome, so glad to have you posting Ste-E! I guess if I had a question it would be concerning the possible suspect that recently died in prison. Do the police have any type of scenario as to why Jeremy may have been with him? I know in the UM re-enactment they theorize Jeremy swimming with some friends and some mental defect shooting into the water accidentally hitting Jeremy. Just curious if there have been any other theories brought to light about the night he went missing.

Sorry to hear about your child as well. Hope all your recent problems can be resolved quickly.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #56
Ste-E
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
I guess if I had a question it would be concerning the possible suspect that recently died in prison. Do the police have any type of scenario as to why Jeremy may have been with him? I know in the UM re-enactment they theorize Jeremy swimming with some friends and some mental defect shooting into the water accidentally hitting Jeremy. Just curious if there have been any other theories brought to light about the night he went missing.

Terry Lee Steinhoff is the suspect who recently died in prison. He was serving a life sentence for stabbing a young mother of three and cutting her throat with a pocket knife after she left work. He then threw her over a bridge into some berry briars where she died. Terry's father on his death bed said to one of the detectives that he would not "rat out his son". I believe that Terry and possibly his cousin David are the two people responsible for Jeremy's death.

I don't know that Jeremy would have been with them willingly. They were not people that he normally hung out with. As far as I know those are the two main theories - drug overdose as Jeremy had a heart murmur and being shot (not necessarily in the setting that the show portrays though). Honestly I wouldn't put "target practice" past either one of them.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #57
boco357
Frequent Poster
Not Muhammad Ali

Hi Ste,

Thanks again for joining.

What are you feelings about Johnny Fish? Have you had any contact with him?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #58
Ste-E
Occasional Poster

Quote:
What are you feelings about Johnny Fish? Have you had any contact with him?

I believe that Johnny was there and witnessed whatever happened to Jeremy. He went back to Shorty's that evening and was restless. Since then he's been a total mess. Homeless, drugs, alcoholic, mental breakdowns. He remembers up to a certain point and then black out. Doesn't remember anything past that. The detectives that work the case track him down occassionally and try to talk to him. I plan on going back home this summer (I haven't been back there for over 10 years) and might see if I can track him down.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #59
boco357
Frequent Poster
Not Muhammad Ali

Do you know who the person was that was drenched in blood that arrived at Johnny Fish's sister apartment complex?

I read from an article that Steinhoff's murder victim was of a former babysitter of Jeremy. Is it true and do you think she had more info ?

It seems that many residents are petrified of giving info on this case. Was Steinhoff well connected?
Were they just afraid to talk?
Or do you think not as many people knew about it.

Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #60
Ste-E
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Do you know who the person was that was drenched in blood that arrived at Johnny Fish's sister apartment complex?

I read from an article that Steinhoff's murder victim was of a former babysitter of Jeremy. Is it true and do you think she had more info ?

It seems that many residents are petrified of giving info on this case. Was Steinhoff well connected?
Were they just afraid to talk?
Or do you think not as many people knew about it.

Thanks again.

Some of the facts that you all have are a little off.

Johnny's last name is Gray - not sure where Fish came from.

Terry Steinhoff was a former babysitter of ours. His murder victim was unknown to us. He tried to hit on her and she brushed him off, he didn't like it so he followed her when she left work and killed her. Totally unrelated to my brother.

Myrtle Point is a little town of about 2,000 people. The Steinhoff's were feared in the town. Terry's sister moved to California, changed her name and wants no connection to the family anymore from what I hear. When their dad died she was named the executor on the will but she requested that none of her info be given to any of the family. The family was not well liked.

I believe that the person depicted who was covered in blood was one of the Steinhoff cousins but the detectives have never said definetively to us who it was.

I think that people were afraid to come forward. There is drug production and use that takes place there. There are 2 or 3 police officers there who are corrupt. One PO came from out of town, stuck his nose into things and was killed by a hit and run driver. That's how things there happen.

My Mom was born in that town, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc are all from there. We knew everyone in town. I truly believe that people know what happened and were afraid to talk. Terry died in prison in October from unnatural causes and I hope that someone out there is not afraid to come forward at this point.