Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

227 links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / 227 Photo Gallery

227 - The Complete First Season

Buy 227 - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > 227
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
KristinHerreraFan
Dana is Buena

Default Did you still like the show after Sandra left?

Did any of you guys especially like Season 5? With all the new characters? I liked it, however I liked Seasons 1-4 better because Sandra was my favorite character. Did any of you guys like Season 5 as much as you liked Seasons 1-4 ?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

Default Did you still like The Shopw after Sandra Left?

Yes I liked 227 when Sandra left The Show
Old 07-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinHerreraFan
Did any of you guys especially like Season 5? With all the new characters? I liked it, however I liked Seasons 1-4 better because Sandra was my favorite character. Did any of you guys like Season 5 as much as you liked Seasons 1-4 ?

Saundra was a main character and if you notice they had to make up for her by adding several new characters in the last season. I think the dialogue between her and Mary was classic. They tried to emulate it with Julian but it didn't work.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?

Sandra was 227.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 07-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

I had no idea Sandra ever left the show! I used to watch the show when it was new (my favorite episode is the Pee-wee Herman one). I bought the DVD, but couldn't get back into the show again.

But I can imagine it wouldn't be as good without her.

Check Out My YouTube Channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Adaweshau?feature=mhee

The videos are numbered but the early ones aren't as good. #3 is where I really get going.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
JuicyCoutureGirl
Forum Regular
L Hath No Fury

Location: Drinking Margaritas With The L Word Ladies at The Planet

Heck no! The show was god awful, they had to add four goofballs to fill Jackee's shoes(Paul Winfred, hell, I got to give it to him, he's a gifted actor but to join 227, what was he THINKING?)

The sex appeal was gone, that's why most people watched the show after Sandra Clark left(i.e: Jackee's ego was too big, she thought she didn't need the show, boy was she wrong....). Dylan the corny teacher(how in the world they let this doofus in a school is beyond me), Travis the closet homosexual breakdancer with the greasy four years behind jerri curl(nothing wrong with homosexuals considering that i'm bi), and Eva the dumb blonde weaved baby voice loser who couldn't hold a job didn't fit the mold of this show.

(BTW: Is it just me or did the producers try to make Alania Reed Hall a sex symbol after Jackee left..ex: the long reddish hair and some of the outfits she wore from frumpy Rose to Gypsy Rose Lee.)
Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Mrgman
Forum Regular

I liked it after sandra left. I liked Travis one of the people that joined later
Days Of Our Lives
Baseball Tonight
Espnews
Sportscenter
Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
88survivor

One thing I didn't like was there was no conclusion. That's all.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
KristinHerreraFan
Dana is Buena

Don't you guys find it odd that of the 7 of the 24 season 5 episodes Sandra was in just HAD to be shown towards the beginning of the season?? It's like they wanted to rush her character through the beginning of the season so they could write her off the show. One of the reasons why Season 5 was low in the ratings was because of lack of Sandra, if they had spread those 7 episodes she was in throughout the season, and not just shuffle them in the beginning, maybe it wouldn't have sucked so bad. But NOOOO, they had to be shown quick!

Another thing that bothered me is that her character was absent with no resolution. Her last episode was "The Perfume Game" which was the one when she works for the agency place and the guy steals her idea. After that episode, her name is never said again nor is the explanation of her sudden dissappearance shown. Which is VERRRRRYYYY un-realistic because Sandra ALWAYS visited Mary's apartment! And what? Just out of the blue she's gonna stop?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Don't you guys find it odd that of the 7 of the 24 season 5 episodes Sandra was in just HAD to be shown towards the beginning of the season?? It's like they wanted to rush her character through the beginning of the season so they could write her off the show. One of the reasons why Season 5 was low in the ratings was because of lack of Sandra, if they had spread those 7 episodes she was in throughout the season, and not just shuffle them in the beginning, maybe it wouldn't have sucked so bad. But NOOOO, they had to be shown quick!

Another thing that bothered me is that her character was absent with no resolution. Her last episode was "The Perfume Game" which was the one when she works for the agency place and the guy steals her idea. After that episode, her name is never said again nor is the explanation of her sudden dissappearance shown. Which is VERRRRRYYYY un-realistic because Sandra ALWAYS visited Mary's apartment! And what? Just out of the blue she's gonna stop?

That is a good catch but I think with the Jackee-Marla Gibbs fall out at the time, the producers probably thought it was best just to have Jackee in enough episodes so she get paid off the syndication royalties while keeping Marla Gibbs happy. Marla played a big role in the direction and focus of the show.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #11
88survivor

After that, the show went downhill.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
KristinHerreraFan
Dana is Buena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
That is a good catch but I think with the Jackee-Marla Gibbs fall out at the time, the producers probably thought it was best just to have Jackee in enough episodes so she get paid off the syndication royalties while keeping Marla Gibbs happy. Marla played a big role in the direction and focus of the show.

Could you explain that in a way a 5 year old would understand please? I don't really understand.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 AM   #13
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Could you explain that in a way a 5 year old would understand please? I don't really understand.

By contract, actors have to appear in at least 100 episodes of a show to get royalities from syndication. Sometimes, if you have a good lawyer, you can work it out for less episodes or if the show is quickly cancelled, you can get royalities for reruns. If you remember, Jackee thought she was hot at the time and everyone wanted to have her. In various interviews years after the cancellation and to hype up Sister, Sister; Jackee told people how she let her ego get out of control during the 227 days (wanting her name to be the first on the opening credits, more storylines focused on her, etc).

Of course, Marla Gibbs (executive consultant and story editor for the show) and the producers were not having it, she wanted out. Hence, giving her seven episodes and letting her leave.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #14
KristinHerreraFan
Dana is Buena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
By contract, actors have to appear in at least 100 episodes of a show to get royalities from syndication. Sometimes, if you have a good lawyer, you can work it out for less episodes or if the show is quickly cancelled, you can get royalities for reruns. If you remember, Jackee thought she was hot at the time and everyone wanted to have her. In various interviews years after the cancellation and to hype up Sister, Sister; Jackee told people how she let her ego get out of control during the 227 days (wanting her name to be the first on the opening credits, more storylines focused on her, etc).

Of course, Marla Gibbs (executive consultant and story editor for the show) and the producers were not having it, she wanted out. Hence, giving her seven episodes and letting her leave.

I understand that now but I still don't like that they wrote her off with no resolution, cos in season 5, eventhough she wasn't in every episode, she was still living in 227 and visiting Mary's apartment like she always does, but all of a sudden after "The Perfume Game", shes gone, never visits the Jenkins' apartment and they so no reason why she is suddenly gone and they also never say her name ever again after that episode!! Very unrealistic. They could have at least have Rose say "Sandra moved to Maryland with her new Rich Husband" or something like that.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

Sandra did make a Guest Staring role on 227