Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Punky Brewster links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Punky Brewster Photo Gallery

Punky Brewster - Season One

Buy Punky Brewster - Season One on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Two

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Two on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Three

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Three on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Four

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Four on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Punky Brewster
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-04-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Punky Brewster - Season 3 DVD Review

Once again, it's time to get more "PUNKY POWER" on DVD! The third season of the show that wasn't exactly television's biggest smash hit--well as a matter of fact, it is often looked at by some people that think they know everything as a bad show--is coming soon from Shout! Factory.

The third season is a bit different from the first two. After the second season, the series had finished its run on NBC. But, with it being the 1980s, and there being several independent television stations (I sure miss these!!!) that had nothing else to air, the show continued to live on for two more years in first run syndication, just like Mama's Family, Silver Spoons, Too Close for Comfort, and other great shows that the know-it-all television elitists call "inferior" television.

The change of network is not the only change that came with the third season though. The show itself underwent some changes, starting with Punky's hairstyle. The pigtails of season 1 and 2 are gone, and she looks much older! Henry's old photography studio (which burned down in the second season 5-parter "Changes") has been replaced by a new photography in the studio, and developing (such an appropriate word for a photography studio) from that is the fact that Henry even sells the photography studio later in THIS season and starts his own restaurant. But no matter what, you'll always see the girl who turns your world around: Punky!

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/punkybr...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
robby76
Forum Regular

Great review and as a true Punky fan I agree with the boring same old packaging. I love dvd packaging when it's done right... it can almost be better than the discs itself... well almost... but the same for each season is so tiresome.

I also tend to agree with the lousy bonus features. I'm glad we have the cartoons on there cos I'd want them in my collection, however I do have to force myself to sit through them. Most other 80s cartoons I can handle... I think Glomer has a large part to play in the annoyance factor.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Bricolo
Occasional Poster

I love Punky and the cartoon was awesome, filled with lots of Punky Power. I always wanted that really neato Glomer to show up in the live action version but alas it was not to be. I do hope that the rest of it is in the fourth volume but would there be enough room? I have a Punky Brewster doll, does anyone know if there was any tv spots for this? I know there was a Cherrie doll but I could never find it. Something related to these and coloring books, board games and the like would be good special feature material for a future set.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
robby76
Forum Regular

If you mean the big dolls then there was only ever a Punky doll.

However if you mean the smaller PVC figures, then there was Punky in a few variations, Cherie, Brandon, Glomer... and... wait for it... a treehouse playset!!! That's very rare though. I have a Punky and Cherie figure, and friend I know has Brandon and Glomer.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
robby76
Forum Regular

I agree some rare archive footage as bonus material is SOOOOO needed! Even a gag reel would be awesome.

Anyway here's some pics of the rare toyline...

Last edited by robby76 : 02-02-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
Bricolo
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby76
If you mean the big dolls then there was only ever a Punky doll.
Really? I could swear that I remember seeing one, either in a picture on the box, in store when I was bought the Punky doll or in some tv ad but I guess I could be mistaken, possibly by a similarly proportioned black doll. Were any other doll's made in this size? The only other doll I have seen that matched these proportions was a Burger King doll, which was always with my Punky. I think they had a thing going on but they never talked about it.

I want some of those PVC figures, the only PVCs I have are of some Native American Bears based off of some cartoon I forget. Still galleries of these Punky toys would be a nice feature.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
KonfusionFTC
Cobra Kai Never Dies

Send a message via ICQ to KonfusionFTC Send a message via AIM to KonfusionFTC Send a message via MSN to KonfusionFTC Send a message via Yahoo to KonfusionFTC

I cant wait to get season 3
Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
robby76
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricolo
I want some of those PVC figures, the only PVCs I have are of some Native American Bears based off of some cartoon I forget. Still galleries of these Punky toys would be a nice feature.

You mean Paw Paws??? I collect PawPaws too! I just finished completing my set. I know someone who's after the evil bad guy with the buffalo helmet... if you have him to sell let me know.

As for Punky figures, you can get them on ebay.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #9
88survivor

Thanks, TJ, for the review. I'll review if I get a chance to buy it.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
caligirl
Occasional Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I love Punky Brewster, grew up watching that show!
I am looking for Season 4, does anyone here have season 4, that can sell it? Email me please. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
For the most part, I'd say that the episodes look and sound fine. I didn't notice any particular problems that jumped out at me, but it is obvious that the video and audio could have stood a little bit of improvement. I have no clue where these prints came from, but they mysteriously have an NBC/Universal logo tacked on to the end of each episode. That made sense for the first two seasons, but I didn't think NBC had anything at all to do with seasons 3 and 4. Oh well.

You're right, in fact, NBC had no involvement whatsoever with the syndicated version of Punky Brewster. Back in the 1980's, it was against FCC rules for networks to syndicate their own programming, so Lightkeeper Productions made a syndication deal with Columbia Pictures Television to co-produce two more seasons plus domestic syndication rights to the NBC episodes.

Last edited by glickmam : 09-18-2017 at 11:29 AM.